my daughter had a total hysterectomy two years ago. for the first year she was pain free and then the terrible pains came back.
She is in excruciating pain, with painful urination and bowel movements.
She has seen every kind of specialist and had every kind of test, urologist, gastrointerologist, cardiologist, gynecologist, etc.
Everything is negative. But the pain continues.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

i am one year and 4 months post hysterectomy. i an experiencing cramping in lower abdomen and constipation. Please let m eknoiw if you find anything out

Have your daughter evaluated by a doctor who is a specialist in pelvic pain and can evaluate her for pelvic floor myalgia or levator ani syndrome. But she must find a specialist who uses the "Q-tip" test. If her pelvic floor is in spasm, there is treatment but since it takes awhile, the sooner the diagnoses, the better. Try also www.pelvicpain.org, http://www.ucihealth.com/HealthcareServices/obgynwhgSarton.htm, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/546022 and especially http://www.soulsourceenterprises.com/html/ipfm.pdf.

The doctors that specialize in this are few and far between and you have to become your own expert. And doctors may not always be willing to try the newest things that show promise like botox. If it is pelvic floor spasm, she will need a primary care physician, a ob/gyn specializing in treatment of pelvic floor myalgia, a physical therapist and a massage therapist. And p.s. - a really good heating pad.

I have been there. My heart goes out to her.

It seems as though all types of recurring pain, even after the surgery is long over, are common. My partner and I (she had a full hysterectomy 3 months ago) are turning to different modalities that deal with the flow of energy in the body, as mainstream Western medics frankly acknowledge - and all the info I've been able to find in "becoming our own experts" points to the fact that mainstream medicine not only doesn't know how to treat her pain, but they don't know why it's happening. We're unwilling for her to be a guinea pig with meds and treatments that likely will only further burden her immune system, so have elected as I said, to try acupuncture, reiki, massage, and energy work. Some of these people have shown a great deal of competence so far, though they have not stopped the pain, either.
Best of luck to all of us!!

I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago. I had polycystic ovarian syndrome and edometriosis from hell. they did a full hysterectomy on me because the pain was unbareable. now i am having the same pains that i had before. i look like i am six months pregnant and i seem to swell more when i have pain. when my husband and i have sex there is a spot that he hits that will bring me up off hte bed because it hurts so bad. The pain is more on the left side than anything. when they did the surgery they found cancer polyps on my uterus. could the cancer still be there and is this what might be causing me so much pain. please help

I had a total hysterectomy almost 4 years ago. I went in for a collapsed uterus (2nd degree in only 2 months) and came out with a total hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele. My doctor said I was a mess ... endometriosis which attached everything and very large cycsts on my ovaries (size of a lemon). Never realized how much pain I was in until after the surgery. Anyway, I'm getting pains again and I am experiencing bleeding too. I was told it was probably scar tissue. Also Pap came back abnormal so I was told to come back in 3 to 4 mos to have another one, never realizing dr. hasn't done a pap test since before the surgery. I was told not to worry since nothing is there anymore.

I had my hysterectomy when i was 22 and that was a year ago., I hurt alot more now then i did before i have trouble making b/m and i dont have the urge feeling to go it just comes in a horrible pain that is the only way i know to go.. any info would help.. im not constipated. just in alot of pain

Hello everyone. I am 27 years old. I am one year post-hysterectomy. All in all, life is great; however, I have experienced some of the issues I saw in this post. For those ladies with painful bathroom habits, I was told this: when the uterus is removed, the large instestine loses support. This can cause painful build-up of gas and stool (usually indicated by sharp, rolling sensations of pain). I was also told that it can take years to de-sensitize the scar tissue left behind from the surgery. If during intercourse you feel pain in a specific spot, it is possible that the scar tissue has yet to "stretch" and desensitize. Unfortunately, the only solution to this is frequent bombardment with stimuli (more sex). Regardless, I listened to my doctor when she told me these things, and the pain has passed for the most part. I use stool softener to prevent the painful bowel movements. I hope this helps someone.

It could be adhesions;

Adhesions are a common occurrence after pelvic or abdominal surgery. Adhesions are also common in women who suffer from pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), endometriosis (en-do-me-tree-o-sis), or sexually transmitted diseases. The likelihood that adhesions will form after surgery and what problems may result will vary based on many things - for instance, the type of surgery you are having, the number of previous surgeries you've had, the surgical technique used during the procedure, and your own individual predisposition to adhesion formation.

However, studies have consistently shown that a majority of women who have gynecologic surgery will experience some degree of adhesion formation. For example, in one review of six studies involving patients who had pelvic reconstructive surgery, between 55% and 100% of these patients developed adhesions within six months of surgery - and often adhesions were evident within just a few weeks.

Check out this website for more help.

http://womenshealthsolutions.co.uk/bgdisplay.jhtml?itemname=adhesions_pelvic_pain_basic_information

I have them too.

i do not know of any suggestion because i am 7 months post op of a partial hysterectomy and have not had any pain until now. the pain seems to get worst each day and my abd growth is getting larger. i know a lady who is 9 month post op of a partial hysterectomy and her doctor told her everything was fine. she went to get a second opinon. the lady was in her last stage of ovarian cancer. so it is best to get second opinon. that is want i am going to do.

I had a histerectomy earlier this year. Mine was done abdominally thru my mid-line incision scar. I've had 21 surgical procedures since 1996 because I also have Crohn's Disease. You mentioned your daughter having seen a GI already, but I would push for a 2nd opinion from a GI and one who is willing to do a colonoscopy on her to maybe sort this out.

For me, my issue is I feel like I have to pee, I go to the bathroom, sit expecting to pee and....nada.....zilch! Post-op I could literally feel my bladder shift into place to per but nearly 1yr out now should I still experience this? Does anyone else? I spend enough time in the bathroom thanks to my Crohn's but this is becoming ridiculous.

Hi My sympathies to your daughter. My daughter is in a similar situation having been in excruciating pain for the last 8 months following a vaginal hysterectomy. She to has seen a gynacologist and bowel specialist to no avail. They respond by saying there is nothing sinister there. But she has to take so many drugs to dull the pain that she is constantly spaced out. I am concerned for her long term well being and that of her children. If you have had any replies please can you pass them on. Many Thanks from another desperate Mum.

I had fibroid's and chose a partial hysterectomy a year ago.  I immediately upon resuming normal sexual relations with my husband had the sharp pain described.  Nearly shoot you off the bed sharp.  I had started having bowel issues (my uterus was approximately the size of being 4 months pregnant)  with the fibroids so I thought it would get better with time.  I have since switched to a plant based diet and while I have increased fiber (I'm drinking plenty of water) I have all the issues mentioned with pain and bloating.  My OB/GYN thought it may be adhesion's so I went in 10 months post surgery to have those taken care of.  He said there were some and they placed a liquid? in there to prevent them.  Part of the issue is resolved but not all.  My pain seems to cycle so now I'm keeping track of it to see if there is a pattern to report.

I do believe there is something more and have to figure this out like the rest of you.  I've never had pain during sex and the thought of this lasting forever is disheartening at the least and heart breaking at worst.  

I've been dealing with endometriosis for about five years, been married 8 yrs never was able to have children's because of it. I had soil surgerys including a compleat hys december 15 2012. Before that in July I had my uterus remove, two months later the pain started my obgyn send me to urologist, GI dr everything negative, so we decide to remove everything, the endo was attach to bladder, intestin. Colon everywhere. Now have been a month from the surgery, he couldn't remove all of the endo. But now I'm starting to have the same pain, I feel like pressure on my pelvic, like a sensation that I'm getting my period, but I don't have anything just my cervix. O think I'm going crazy, I'm only 28 and going thru menopause also. I don't want to go the dr cus I feel so embrace, I had gone so many times now I don't know what can be...anyone with the same situation

Wow, even though I hate hearing you ladies are in pain, I no longer feel isolated. Im 41 and I just had my hysto. on 1/21/13. he left my overies, but took my tubes and my uterus. My initial recovery seemed ok, but then about a week in. I woke up with a sharp pain in my left lower side,my stomach was as big as a pumpkin,my anal sphincter completly closed up,and i had this loud churning noise in my tummy like a blender. It was terrible. The ER did a ct and a urine sample and told me I just had a UTI. The gas pains that came with this problem was worse than natural labor. i took the antibiotics and laxitives. I could only squeeze out liquid and even that required me to be on oxycodone. Since then Ive had three Dr. appt. and another ER trip. I started researching myself and found out I was suffering anismus. its like a muscle spasm in your rectum. I had two Xanax from a year ago I never used and I took one, and and sitz baths three times a day. All of this reccomended treatment I found myself, and it worked. My stools are not fully formed as they were pre sx, but they are the size of cigars which is better than liquid. I also started taking psyllium husk twice dail, and I go daily. The problem I cant seem to fix is the left side pain, and the G/I upset and chills. Ill be seeing the G/I Dr. on Wed and the OB-GYN on Fri. Ill update after my visits. Sorry for the length and graphics, and I hope this posts helps.