Hello! My brother has often problems with his eyes. He works in a factory and there is lot of dust and dirty in the air. His eyes are often red and inflamed. Although they hurt him as well he doesn’t ant to see the doctor. The infections usually last for four to five days and then go away without treatment. What can conjunctivitis do to you if untreated?

Hello! If untreated, conjunctivitis may spread and damage the cornea permanently, impairing the vision. This happens really rare but it is still possible. Your brother has to visit the eye doctor and examine his eyes. Maybe he has an allergic type of conjunctivitis and maybe it is related to his work environment. You have to talk to him and try to explain how important his eyes are to him.

Well conjunctivitis is a very serious condition and it can cause you much problems if you leave it untreated. Many people know conjunctivitis as pink eye disease. Pink eye is most commonly caused by viral infection or bacterial infection. However dryness or irritations of the eye are also possible cause of conjunctivitis. More then half of cases of conjunctivitis will disappear on their own, and they don’t need any further treatment. Bacterial infections need to be treated with antibiotics or eye drops. He can have more complication that might lead even to blindness. I think he needs to prevent this from happening again. He could try to wear some glasses when he works in order to prevent the dust to get in to his eyes.

Untreated conjunctivitis WILL cause permanent scarring to the cornea blurred vision and sometimes pain. I know because I'm living with it everyday. I have to wear one contact in the damaged eye for the rest of my life and I'm only 30. Please have your brother get some medical attention. Not an optometrist, but an ophthamologist!!

tell me more facts