Hi. My 9 years old child has myopia. He likes to read a lot, and I told him too much reading will give him glasses. Somebody told me myopia is inherited, but nobody in my family wears glasses. Is myopia inherited?

Hi. My child has myopia too, and so do I. According to some studies, 89% of all vision defects are caused by genetic flaws. However, the main cause of myopia are excessive reading and close up work. My kid wears contacts. Glasses are too heavy for his little nose and they leave red marks with time. Contacts have been a perfect solution for him, so far. I was considering Lasik, but there are many risks involved.

You can not "get Myopia" from reading too much or watching the TV too close. Working for an Optometrist this is the biggest misconception that comes into the office. Myopia is the way the light comes into the eye and reflefts off of the retina. I found this on Google Health so it may help you a little more understand.

Nearsightedness occurs when the physical length of the eye is greater than the optical length. For this reason, it often develops in the rapidly growing school-aged child or teenager, and progresses during the growth years, requiring frequent changes in glasses or contact lenses. It usually stops progressing as a person finishes growing in his or her early twenties.

My husband does not wear glasses and both his parents do. My parents both wore glasses and my sister and I do. My oldest daughter does not wear glasses and my youngest one does. (just to give you an example as to how hereditary issues are not concrete) There is a chance your child may grow out of it and there is a chance they may not. Lasik surgery will not be performed on a child because they are still growing. You must have a stable prescription, not to mention if you go to a reputable place, like TLC, which has a lifetime enhancement option, you are looking at around $3,000 plus. Also, Lasik will not correct Hyperopia and the chances of needing reading glasses around the age of forty are pretty high.

My advice is to just relax. There are pretty cool frames out now a-days and contact lenses are always an option. Be sure to take them out every day and don't sleep in them, as you are always subsectible to infection. Wash your hands before touching your contacts and / or eyes.

Good luck!