Hello All, So Its good to talk and think writing down my addiction will help me get free. So I started smoking when I was 16, just cigs until I was 20 when I started smoking cannabis. A lot of my friends smoked weed and I was soon sucked into the concept of smoking it everyday. Initially I was smoking just hash and would smoke maybe 3 joints a day in the week and then maybe upto 6 on the weekends. Bongs and shotties were also used and we would smoke uoto 20 odd shotties per night. This went on for 4 years and I moved over to smoking bud. Friend groups changed but the smoking generally continued. I generally always tried to maintain a high level of exercise through out my smoking years. This certainly made me feel better about myself and proved to be of great benefit when I tried to quit a few years later. Smoking continued and before I knew it my girlfriend was getting fed up about it and I was hiding it from her. Our relationship ended when I was 27 mainly due to the cannabis ruling my life and for a few other reasons. I still loved her very much still but she did the right thing and moved on. I then gave up smoking as a result of this breakup. I went cold turkey and struggled beyond belief to comprehend what I had lost. I had really bad withdrawal and blamed my self for the breakup. With a lot of help from friends and focussing on exercise to make me feel good I managed to quit smoking for and stayed clean for 4 months. In this time I even cycled Lands end to John O groats. I totally forgot about smoking weed and felt amazing. I would sometimes have thoughts about smoking again and did sometimes feel like I was missing out on something when I wasn't smoking. These feelings of wanting to smoke continued even though I was fit healthy and stable after 4 months off the weedsmoke. Stupidly I thought I could control myself and started smoking the occasional cigar thinking it was cool and wouldn't lead to anything. Before I knew it I was smoking a fag now and then with drinks and telling myself I would only have fags on a Friday with a pint at the pub. Some of my friends who never stopped smoking weed were still on the scene and although I do have lots of friends who don't smoke or smoke when drunk I ended up spending time with the ones that smoked weed. In a way I think I always had a different type of bond with the friends who smoked weed. Before I knew it I was having the occasional drag on a spliff. It reminded me of the times before when i smoked but without the issues of splitting up from my girlfriend. I told myself I wouldn't buy it and would only have a drag here and there- this failed and before I knew it I was smoking most nights and this eventually lead to smoking everyday at the same level as before. Other drugs then followed a year later and I was partying every weekend. I took MDMA about 7 times at different events. Tried cocaine and NO2 balloons also become quite popular. I always told myself I would never try class A drugs but I folded like I did when I quit smoking weed. The class A phase was short lived as I only took them over a 6 month period. I am now 29 and 5 days ago I decided to quit smoking again. I still have friend groups who smoke it and other friend groups who don't and have always condoned any drugs. So day 5 of going cold turkey and I have been feeling pretty awful. Day 1 + 2 I had anxiety, hot sweats, mild panic attacks, cold + flu symptoms and generally felt awful. Sleeping was really had the first few nights but this doesn't seem to be a problem any more. Essentially the symptoms are the same as when I quit a few years ago, this time I have less stress in regards to the girlfriend split but its still really tough. I know from when I quit last time that it would be at least 1 month before I start feeling normal and confident again. Initial concerns are how I will be around my friends who smoke weed and how I will cope if I have a panic attack at work. I am pretty sure my friends will be supportive of me quitting but if not then I will have to end our friendship. 

Things I am going to do to help me over the next month: 

-Exercise, exercise and more Exercise! I found this is the best thing you can do when quitting. 

-Take vitamin tablets 

-Try and eat well

-Focus on work to distract me from thinking about smoking 

-Drink lots of water 

-Read more on Forums like this as they tend to make me feel better and give me something to relate to. 

I think that's it... I feel good for sharing  

Your story is similar to mine.  The exercise and vitamins advice is very good.  If you need more support marijuana-addict.com is a good place to go!

I know your post is old but I must say I am going through many of the same symptoms. I just quit weed like two days ago and I must say some of the symptoms are absolutely horrible. I've been feeling anxiety and depression and I don't even know if it's from the weed. I have found praying and worship helped me a great deal and I'm barely on like day two. I really hope the anxiety goes away I felt as if normal things gave me anxiety and the more I thought about it the more I panicked. I pray that everyone who has an addiction can stop that addiction it is very hard if these symptoms I have are from weed withdrawals. I didn't even smoke all that long just for about two years pretty much everyday. I find comfort reading about everyone's stories it makes me feel like I am not just going crazy. I haven't ate or have any energy and I hope these symptoms can stop soon. If you have any advice on how to ease these symptoms please feel free to help me. Thanks for your story

Reiki has helped me. Kiss

glad for your experience. I smoked every day until I could no longer afford it -- about thirty years, during which time I also tried heroin once, and lots of cocaine. Like them all but cannot afford it for so long I wouldn't know where to get them any more. Wish they'd legalize pot because it CURES A MIGRAINE ATTACK.

wow, what a story