Hello everyone. I am a 21 year old male located in California. This website is incredible gift and tool for its viewers. With that being said I will talk about my previous marijuana addiction and how I recovered. There are not a lot of informative success stories, just people who need help so I thought I'd contribute. I will start with a bit of background of my story than how I corrected it.

I began smoking socially in high school from 16-18 (maybe 2-3 a month). I later started up again in college since all my friends were "stoners". I smoked from 19-20 (2 years) very heavily. Anywhere from 1-3+ blunts a day (not counting bong/bubbler/pip hits). One of my best friends at the time also happened to be a local plug (meaning he supplied the dealers in about a 45 min radius). The bud I was smoking was top shelf club only...im talking $85-90 eigths hydro etc...stuff that looked so good you didnt even want to smoke it at first. And I loved smoking so much. But it got to the point where I didnt even know what was going on anymore in my life. I just lived in this high haze 24/7. I felt detached even when I wasnt high. I couldnt eat unless I was high, I couldnt sleep...I just want alive unless I was high.

I finally decided I wanted to quit. This is a social drug...if you are addicted and are trying to quit/cut back and you are at a friends who is blazing, you will smoke. I realized every person I know is a stoner. I decided if im going to have any chance in quitting I need to stay away from my friends because if im around them, Im around the bud. This was very very hard to do. I had ignore so many calls a day and eventually they got the picture (my friends are good people with good intentions, but In my personal situation I was to weak in my addiction to be around them and weed and not smoke).

The first thing I did was purchase a small piece and just take a pinch of bud and smoke that every couple hours...so small but you know that warm buzz im talking about. So I was no longer smoking fat blunts that were knocking me off my feet..I was going for more of a placebo effect on purpose just to get the concentration of THC and my dependency down. I did this for maybe 1-2 months. Throughout this time I tried to quit but after a day or so..back to it. But I continued to just slowly just cut the amount back and space out the smoking. Finally I reached a minimal smoking point but still smoking a few times a day. Finally one day I finished my bud just threw my piece over the fence, I never went after it.

What followed for the next few weeks was an absolute nightmare. My symptoms stayed for 2-3 weeks but severity was unbelievable. I could not eat a bite of solid food even my favorite helpings...I could not sleep at all...My other symptoms were very vivid dreams, body sweats, cravings, impatience. I lost a ton of weight but I was determined regardless of how bad I felt. I spent a few days just gagging like I was going to vomit. It was more than just nauseau. I would walk around the house and all of sudden my insides what churn up and my gag relex would active 50% but id barely control it. In the morning I used to take a hit before I even brushed my teeth. So I made my body got accustomed to it first thing. I had a few instances where I woke up went to the bathroom in the morning and I threw within a few seconds while scrambling for my pipe (this was before I tried to fully quit).

I knew I couldn't go back to it...it caused me to much pain in my life...to many missed opportunitues, neglect of my family and gf...just stupid pipe dreams. You have to recognize where weed has hurt your life this is step 1. You have to hate it.

I spent 2-3 weeks eating soup all day and crackers since anything more was out of the question. But slowly I got my body to cooperate. You have to realize weed is just an enhancer of whatever your doing. Its just going to amplify your train of thought it becomes a crutch in your life for sleep, eating, fun, relaxing everything. When you remove it the body goes through a shock and it needs to be soothed and recalibrated. There is no secret to recovery. Its about recognizing the addiction and reason for it, removing yourself from the circumstances, and decreasing intake to minimal before going cold turkey. I did not want to start on any meds what so ever. I can not explain the hell that I went through, but I was not about to create another dependency on any substance. At the end of the day the drugs of sympton recovery will cause the body more damage than the weed itself.

Thats the problem with weed that people dont get. It does not damage the body directly but causes the destruction to ones life style and thoughts which in turn effects you physically and mentally and those around you. You cant binge drink everyday..it wont last..to much damage to organs...but with drinking we all know there is so much we can intake. Thats not the case with weed. If you can afford it you can spark it. Just because we dont have a medical test for change in cellular function does not mean a change does not take place...thats for people who say its harmless.

All I can say is hang in there. Everyday you feel bad is another day to feeling better. When you beat its so worth it. Everything gets crystal clear again. My heart goes to those of you have been smoking daily for 5-30+ years I know its so hard...if your in that extreme of a case do not be afraid to try professional help, its why its available.

Once you quit do not even go back...fight the thoughts. Hell I even get them now..."I guess if I smoked once a week that'll be ok...or how about just weekends.." There can not be any "one time" or anything. We all started to smoking weed to escape...when you start living in your escape if becomes a problem. After quitting I just feel better. I can feel good when I want. There is not wait between lighting bowls...what I feel now is real.

fantastic post! yes there are far too many people on the internet looking for help (like me!) so a good success story is just what we need! far too many negative people are posting over and over in favour of weed and in blind arrogance! I myself have drastically cut down since my late teens and am now more in control over my usage which has sparked an interest IN REAL LIFE! that has been missing ever since I first started smoking. I personally believe that the it's the 'reward' part of our brains which causes such problem's, especially in people who could put all that energy into intellectually consuming activities...all we need to do is find the spark of interest to let go of everything in the past and move forward. Say no to weed for there is absolutely no need!!

wattagecat wrote:

Your stupidity offends me.

And your entitled to your opinion. Problem is everybody is different. Some peoples will power is what affects them in controlling certain aspects of there life. My father who is a chartered psychologist smoked it for a year during uni said it like this "Anything in moderation is OK, anything used excessively over time becomes a problem" He quit after a year and has never gone back. I have smoked it for three years and have realized it controls certain aspects of my life. I have ADHD and other mental health issues and smoking weed increases problems with anxiety and stress. The chemicals they put with weed in the 21st century are not the same as in the past where cannabis was fairly harmless. This is why people suffer from withdrawals. The biggest problem is the psychological dependency people create within there mind. My partners mother has smoked it for more than thirty years and now she has no appetite, rarely sleeps and suffers from extreme anxiety. I myself beat myself up about it everyday your negative comments help no one!

I'm sorry, but this post proves that you have no idea what you're talking about. "The chemicals they put with weed in the 21st century are not the same as in the past where cannabis was fairly harmless." Cannabis is a PLANT, it grows naturally. There are no added chemicals, and there never were. Yes, cannabis can create a psychological dependence. but nothing like you're describing here. Your partner's mother obviously has some other health problem. I realize everyone is different, but it's been proven, multiple times, that cannabis has no long term physical or psychological effects.

Actually what he ment to say was that they increased tr number of toxins that causes cannabis to be harmful they didn't spray it then but they surely spray it now in the 21 century. Weed can have addictive qualities I know I'm there . I'm trying to stop but I'm immature and still seeking the pleasures it brings . Even if I want it or not

Unless you are growing it yourself, you have absolutely no idea what the person who IS growing it might be spraying on the plant or adding to the bag. Period, paragraph, end of story.

Damn straight bro im 31 and had been smoking since i was 12. Weed is more dangerous of a drug than most people think. And the ones who attack you about it are people who are still addicted and too stupid to realize it is a problem.

Weed isnt addictive at all its all about your mind set i smoked a lot on daily basis and i woke up one day and never touched a blunt again!