Hey Yall, I've always wondered why my sugar levels are somewhat high in the morning when I get up. I mean it's not like I ate anything (and I didn't). Where does that sugar come from. Do we keep a store of it somewhere and then it is released while we are sleeping? So, how does my blood glucose jump during the night. Does anyone know how this works? I'd appreciate it if someone would pass any information my way. I'm wondering if glucose jumps during the night happen in nondiabetic people. That would be interesting to know. Do a lot of people experience high glucose levels when they get up in the morning. Thanks.

Not to worry, that's perfectly normal. Say for example, when you go to bed you have a reading of 115 and when you get it may have gone to 145. So, you want to know how that happened. Okay, so you didn't eat anything so where did the sugar come from.

The carbs you took in during the day were absorbed into your bloodstream. Some of the glucose that you don't immediately use will go the liver and skeletal muscle and be stored for later use when you need it because you are not eating. When you are sleeping, your liver will release the stored glucose into your bloodstream to be used to run metabolic pathways while you are asleep. Generally, the amount of sugar released from the liver will be used to such a point that your sugar levels remain relatively constant.

For the most part, you get an increase in sugar levels around 3am in the morning. The liver should release just enough to replace what has been used. This release in glucose signals insulin to be released. If you don't release enough insulin, as is the cause with diabetics, too much glucose will remain in your bloodstream. Moreover, cortisol hormone levels will begin to rise which contributes to a decrease in insulin sensitivity. The upshot of all of this is that your blood glucose levels rise. If this is a particular problem for you (really high sugar levels), you might be able to so something about it. You can change when you eat your meals during the day or medications you are taking or change your insulin dosages or the kind of insulin you are using (older versus newer types). If you have this problem, keep good records on your diet and exercise and medications. Take that information to your diabetes manager or doctor and they can help you with a high fasting sugar level.