I'm just wondering what other diabetics, those with type 2, get for a fasting blood glucose level -- the one that you take first thing in the morning? Do you stay pretty much in range?

I think I just answered this in another thread. The range for fasting blood glucose levels is roughly the same... between 70-100 or 70-110. Some doctors tolerate a higher level due to the unique composition of a patient's body. The most important thing is to be taking the right insulin for you so that your blood glucose remains level and isn't too high or low in the mornings. Are you having trouble staying within range, because if so, you may need an adjustment in your insulin. 

Mine varies very little. I go to bed at the same time, have only two variations on my nightly snack and watch my diet meticulously. I exercise every day for 40 minutes, but vary the exercise. I took this disease seriously from the beginning as I saw it take over my dad's life. He learned more slowly how to manage it, but he was older when he got it. His blood sugars were always crazy until he started taking care of his health. If you try to stick to a good eating plan and don't overdo any indulgences, your blood sugar might even out if you're have trouble. If your sugars are out of range a lot and you're needing extra insulin, you might be on the wrong insulin. Sometimes I know people have to switch a couple of times before they find the one that works best for them.