Hi im 25 yr old male, and a body builder. Tonsillectomy is more of a mind game, remember this. I wanted to share my tonsillectomy story since it was a nightmare browsing through the internet reading nothing but horror stories, in simple words, it does NOT hurt more than a typical tonsillitis infection but without the fever so its even more bearable. Im on day 8th of my tonsillectomy and the results are incredible and definitely worth it. My problem was chronic bad breath with huge spores all over my tonsils, some were large enough to where i didnt even develop tonsil stones, more like a white residue that for years i thought were from metalic crowns or bad oral heigein, though i did develop tonsil stones they weren't as much of a nuisance as was my breath. I got to meet an individual at the hospital that had tonsils so bad he actually developed gingivitis on his tongue and was told to stop flossing due to the risk of bacteria that could enter his blood stream. Tonsils are a big deal and can become a health risk if you ignore problems, one thing i've learned in this experience is your mouth is NOT supposed to smell bad, unpleasant odors should not go unchecked. If there's any advice i can give you guys is stop researching the internet for stories and such, you will drive yourself absolutely mad. the first 3 days is typical throat pain, but nothing the pain relievers wont fix, i was on hydrocodone for the pain, day 4 i challenged myself to a whole wheat sandwhich with tomatoes and mustard, i won the battle but god dang it, do not eat mustard. Day 5&6 the feeling of becoming well again take over, but dont be fooled, and dont try to be macho man and do normal stuff because for some weird reason day 7 kicked my butt, now it did so mentally because your mind starts to become tired of being a patient and wants to become normal again and normal things so its mentally draining to keep at it and keep the patient state of mind. I did the weirdest thing to keep me mentally prepared the this which i think was the smartest thing i did, is to keep your hospital bracelet strap on your wrist. Psychologically it constantly reminds you that this is going to be at least a 2 week recovery period and stops you from feeling self pitty and such. Anyway, im on day 8 today and i feel really well. I hate an entire breakfast as i normally do, ate citrus fruit drinks only problem is that i cannot taste stuff well, everything will be extremely bitter and sweet. I couldnt even eat pasta the other day because i swear it tasted like someone added splenda to it, but this is normal . I can brush my teeth now and feel a clean sensation and i dont have that constant disgusting residue at the back of my tongue. I encourage anyone to undergo this surgery if you suffer from troublesome tonsils, its not worth living this way, change your life and your health. Hope this can help at least 1 person.

Thank you so much for this post.. big help.. will keep the bracelet on, what a great idea.  That and avoiding the online horror stories.  :)

Hi, I have suffered bad breath for long now, and I have been to the ENT, but over and over again my doctors give me something for mouth wash, floss or gargle. But this has not helped my bad breath at all. I suffer social embarrassment when I see one closing nose or cough as I talk to them. Please can you advice me if you think tonsillectomy could help in this case. Thanks so much for sharing your testimony.

You helped me thank you! I'm on day 5 post op and the smell and taste from the healing wounds is TERRIBLE but most bothersome is the lack of taste! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your story. I see this post was over a year ago so I was wondering if the problem you were having tasting food was ever resolved. I'm 5 weeks out and can't taste food. Thanks

I am a 31 year old female and had tonsillectomy about 6 days ago. I had major issues with tonsil stonees prior to surgery and this is the reason I had them removed. The ENT was not hesitant at all about scheduling surgery. So im on day 6 of recovery and to be honest it hasn’t been that bad. The first 3 days were definitely bearable. I drank lots of Gatorade and water. I also bought a good quality humidifier that I have been using non stop to keep my mouth moist. The key is to force yourself to drink lots of fluids. I even set my alarm every two hours at night to drink fluids. I’m have a very low pain tolerance, but surprisingly my pain level never reached higher than a 7 and that was mainly due to ear pain. Ice pack on throat helped a lot! i’ve been eating tons of apple sauce and soup and taking pain meds every 6 hours, but I haven’t really needed the pain meds since day 3. If you’re thinking of getting tonsillectomy, do it. You won’t regret it at all. I was soooo relieved to get them out. Feels like a rebirth lol. just remember force yourself to stay hydrated this will make things go a lot smoother!