I'm 19 years old. Over the past couple months, I have noticed this increasingly larger crypt on my left tonsil that collects tonsil stones almost daily. I tried EVERYTHING, including Dr. Katz's products. I bought the nasal spray, the aktivoxygen tabs, and the gum. Don't waste your money; they didn't do a THING and I think there are reps from his company that post positive things on these message boards about the products.
Anyway, I also have this horrible, bitter sulfur taste in my mouth and when I stick a Q-tip back into the crypt, the Q tip comes out smelling disgusting regardless of whether there are stones visibly present. I mouthwashed about 6 times a day and did the tongue scraping once or twice daily, but the sulfur taste comes back as soon as the flavor of the mouthwash wears off. I have been so paranoid about my breath all semester, but I asked ALL of my close friends/family/roommate/kissing buddy if they've noticed me having bad breath and they all deny it over and over.
I went to see two ENTS this month. The first ENT said, "Yeah I'll just take your tonsils out." But the second ENT described this "bug" that lives in tonsil crypts and produces sulfuric bacteria, which is the cause of that taste. She offered an option of doing antibiotics for 14 days to kill this bug that had a really complicated name, and possibly shrinking the size of the tonsil. I considered this, but I decided to just go ahead and get the tonsillectomy because I don't want to have to deal with this another semester of college while I'm supposed to be making friends and meeting my future husband. My tonsillectomy is tomorrow and I'm pretty freaked out, but I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Dont be too freaked out about the surgery...Its not too bad unless you have a complication of course (hopefully you will not). Just remember to drink, as if you were a fish literally. Drink as much as you possibly can...try things out and see what works best for you (some people like cold others warm, etc). Same thing for food if you cant eat it cold try it warm and vice versa. Take your pain pills on time (max dosage allowed) do not wait until you feel pain to take a pill! Pain is much more easily controlled with scheduled doses than waiting until it hits. I recommend that when you get home you or someone else figure out when you need to take your meds for the next few days. Write it all down on a piece of paper and then just scratch or mark off that you took that dose. You dont want to confused and take too much or not enough.

Get yourself a container of some type and put all your pills, tissues, everything you will need in there. It is much better than having to get up or call someone to bring you something. Cough Drops are a life saver....I recommened Ricola Natural Herb (yellow pack) they did not cause any burning or stinging for me. DO NOT even think about using anything menthol based (it will hurt like hell). A humidifier is awesome to have running 24 hours a day....this surgery dries you out alot (plus its winter and the heat wont help). If your not drinking or eating chew gum constantly it helps keep the muscles in your throat loose, so that you wont have muscle spasms back there. Again, nothing like Big Red or a Winter Blast type gum. Juicy Juice is a good one to use.

Hope that your surgery goes well!!!!!!!

Katiria

Hii have this same problem. Disgusting. pleased to know I'm not alone. I have no insurance do surgery of out if the question. Do you have any advice for me? Hired every thing after the surgery? Bad breath? Tonsil stones? Phrase let me know

Hi pincone-- i also suffer tonsil stones and i am very depressed with the smell of my breath. im a college student now and its hard to deal with other people because i feel that they can smell my odorous breath. i dont know what to do can you help me please?I’ve tried gargling salt water after every meal and ive tried removing those stones with the use of my clean finger.. but nothing happens! my bad breath remain even if theres no more stone coming up in my tonsils. i feel sad and i dont like anymore to go to school having that kind of breath . i feel it ruined my life :-( thank you for postin your experience. i hope you’ve recovered well.. your response will be much appreciated. thank you..