I keep reading all the remarks from people in their early 20's who have had their tonsils out. I just had mine out on 3/10/08 and I am 56!
Yes the pain is awful, but I just keep thinking, why I had it done, and that does help.
I'm on week 2 and still can't believe I need the pain meds, but they have become my new best friend, and I have learned, drink, drink, drink, is the most important rule. Can't say that enough. DRINK!
I do feel like I'm all alone though as I am 56 and everyone else I know who has had this done in adulthood is only in their 20's. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone.
But if I look at the hole picture, I can think of my sis and brother who are fighting cancer everyday, and I know I can beat this!

I am 43 and had mine out the 12th of Feb. My doctor told me that the older you are the harder it is to bounce back. Although it hasn't been a pleasent experience and even almost 5 weeks later still isn't I'm glad I had it done. I took three weeks off of work and am so glad that I did.

The whole deal with my complaining is that I really didn't have to have mine out. I had a sore throat over Christmas last year, and when I went my tonsil's were enlarged. The doc. told me he would "recommend" getting them out. This was the first sore throat I can remember getting in a long time. I couldnt see my ENT doctor until the last week of Feb.. and even he said it was my choice. But between my wife, my mom, my mother-in-law, etc.. I was tired of hearing them say Öh do it, you'll feel better, yada yada yada. Now I have had it done, they dont wanna hear the complaining about me being hungry. I just can't see how this procedure takes "forever" to heal!

My entry here is newer, but here I am at almost 53 and two weeks ago today I had a Septoplasty, Sinus Balloon Ablation and Tonsillectomy performed.  The pain from the Tonsillectomy has been the worst. I am still in horrible pain and cannot get relief.  I know compared to others in more serious situations, I have it easy and I am trying hard to not complain, but again, it is the worst.  I am not drinking enough water which I hear is paramount to healing.  I could not even swallow water until a few days ago and I still wince.  Swelling, ear and horrible throat pain I hear are the norm.  I just hope I can eat normally again once everything has healed.  To swallow again without any pain...wow now that would be remarkable. I keep hoping that there is relief around the the three week bend.  I am tired too.  Try to do a somehwat normal routine and I give out after a few hours.  I'm retired and not working right now, so that has been a blessing in terms of feeling this kind of pain and trying to work a job.  If anyone out there has any ideas for this more mature person, please step up....Oh and if you are facing or could be facing this surgery, do not put it off to do when you are my age.  It really seems as if it better handled by the younger population.  Thanks

I am 52 and it will be two weeks tomorrow for me. I had my tonsils removed and my uvula reduced. I took a few different pain meds but they all kept me awake. I haven't taken any for 4 days and have to say that there isn't much difference in the level of pain. I think I may be slow at healing but I'm not sure.

Prior to surgery my throat looked fine but I could feel a sore spot in the left side of my throat. It was recurring for a few years and became steady despite multiple prescription meds. Because I have been a smoker, I was terrified. I did not realize that tonsils actually go down into the throat so it didn't occur to me that is what it could be.....Upon examination my ENT said my left tonsil was hard and needed to come out immediately. He did not say I had cancer but intimated that it could be. As it turns out, it was chronic inflammation and infection. Thank God. I'm so happy it was not cancer and wanted to post in case someone else is looking for a possible good outcome. When I was searching prior to surgery all I could find were stories of cancer. Wonderful stories of survivors....but cancer stories nonetheless.

Tonsillectomy painful? Yes, but it's bearable....especially so when you are so grateful that you were spared cancer.

Hi, my name is Debbie Bentley and I also have been looking around the web and seeing nothing else but things regarding throat cancer. I am having an enoscope tomorrow to see what is wrong. I know this post was a long time ago, and you may not even see this.  But just in case you do I wanted to ask you if you also had a hard time swallowing as well besides the sore throat.  I'm 59 and have never had such pain in my throat.  I only hope that it has something to do with my tonsils.  Thank you for any help you might be able to give me.  Debbie Bentley, Vancouver Island, Canada

Hi all,

50 and day 8 after tonsilectomy, uvula reduction and septoblasty. Been on a stack load of pain meds and until yesterday was doing great, sore throat but managing to eat and drink with only discomfort. Then BAM, day 7 strikes and boy oh boy I've never felt pain like it. Didn't do that much reading up on the op before having it done (anything would be better that 4 months of rhinitis etc. I thought) so good to find this post this morning.

Day 8 is a little better than yesterday - vanilla flavored smooth yoghurt has never been more appreciated. I'm sure by the end of the week I'll be feeling much better, just wanted to post to help anyone else searching when they hit their bad day ;)

Hi!

I am 51, and I have been having ear/nose/throat problems all of my life. I was just told my my family dr. and an ent specialist that I should have my tonsils removed. Can you share more about your experience with me? Why are you happy that you had it done? What are the good & bad associated with what you experienced.

Thank You!

Michael

You are not alone! I am 66 and had a tonsillectomy on 12/2/14. I have just completed the first week, yes for me plenty of warm water, and trying to eat normally (ends up smaller portions well chewed). I think today I feel marginally better, but the paracetamol/ibuprofen are definitely my friends at present.

Well, I'm 52, and my tonsils are almost touching each other! I'm not having a soar throat or anything, my tonsils are just very enlarged for at least the last 6 months. I'm so afraid of having the surgery especially after what happened to that 13 year old girl. I don't know what I'm going to do????

Hi - I am a 46/f and have had a huge right tonsil since I was a teenager because I used to get tonsillitis often and it never went back to a normal size.  The doc had said that I didn't need to get it out at that time, so I didn't.  I knew in the back of my mind that someday I would have to deal with it, though...

So after almost 20 years of not having tonsillitis again, I had an infection a month ago.  Since then, I had taken steroids and 2 types of antibiotics.  My tonsil had gotten bigger and even though the steroids help to reduce the size, it is still large and I can feel it in my throat at all times.  I would say the one tonsil covers half of my throat, almost touching the uvula.

I have decided with the ENT doc that I will remove the tonsil.  I am doing the preliminary work of getting a CT scan on my neck, blood tests, etc.  The surgery has not been scheduled yet but hopefully it will be soon because I want to get this over with and recover and get back to normal life.  At present, I hate having the feeling of something stuck in the back of my throat and it is difficult to sleep on my right side, I feel like it is choking me.

I have read through tons of messages on this forum about adult tonsillectomies and know that it is a horrible experience with a lot of pain and possible bleeding, but I need to get this done so I am hoping to just to get through it without complications.

i am 53 years old, I am always have tonsilitis & I wanted to removed this pain & bad breath. How long does the pain goes after the surgery? Hoping ur alright now, please share with me the result after the operation or procedure.

Am 50 on day 10 of recovery

Same as above, few months of sore left tonsil, four lots of antibiotics not quite fixing it.  one very hard left tonsil removed but both had puss behind them

Also a smoker for 30 years who gave up smoking five years ago and still had a chance of throat cancer

Still sore but bearable, but if I eat or drink anything more than a few mouthfuls, seems to irritate throat

Gargling Difflam last few days and helping relieve irritation

Don't hesitate to get it done if you ever smoked - you don't know what's lurking there!

54 years old

Had tonsils removed 6-4-14. Two days after went for a 3 mile walk with my dog. (felt Good) Saturday started feeling ear and throat pain with a fever. Sunday was by far the worst day as far as pain goes. Monday was similar to Saturday and today is Tuesday and feels similar to Monday. Hopefully the pain is heading the other way.

Been eating popsicles and drinking water, everything else hurts to much to swallow. This morning had some scrambled eggs for breakfast. (Small bites

Dear Tazmom,
I am 53 and they are recommending I have my tonsils out. My questions is - would you do it again? I hear it is EXTREMELY painful at this age.