I am a 18 year old male. It has been 21 days since my Tonsillectomy. Adult tonsillectomies are tough I wont lie. I've had 5 surgeries in my life, ears, eyes, wisdom teeth, testicles for testicular torsion where I almost lost a testicle...and this was by far the worst. So back when I was trying to decide if I should get a tonsillectomy all I wanted was to hear someone's story...but I could not find one. Well I would be a hypocrite if I didn't at least try to help someone with the same problem. So here it goes. I made an account for all of the sufferers out there. IF YOU ONLY WANT TO JUST SEE THE RESULTS SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM.

My problem:
I had been dealing with tonsil stones for years and they had only been getting worse. Every day I would end up hacking them up or squirting them out with the water syringe they gave me a while ago for my wisdom teeth. They are disgusting. I was always self conscious and worried one would come out at the wrong time...on a date, when I'm speaking, ive had it all happen, ugh. I used to look back there with a flashlight up to 20 times per day.

Failed Solutions:
I tried Dr Katz, f*** that con artist. I tried gargling with salt water. I tried nasal irrigation (that actually helped a bit but not enough) I tried new tooth pastes, mouth washes, flossing, tongue scraping, 3X daily brushing, I had amazing oral hygiene and nothing worked. So I said screw it - Tonsillectomy time. I did NOT want to be doing this for the rest of my life. I had images of me in a business suit and before I leave for work trying to gargle these things out...screw that.

Doctors Visit:
2 different doctors, all I said was I had tonsil stones, I told them I was sick of them, I told them I was disgusted, both understood and both approved me for surgery in 1 visit and both would be covered under my insurance so I got to choose my favorite.

Surgery and Recovery: First let me say, was it worth it? YES, YES, YES 100 TIMES THIS WAS WORTH IT FOR ME. I will tell you later in the post the benefits I've noticed so far.

(Pain)
Day of surgery, they knock you out, rip em out, wake you up. TELL YOUR ANESTHESIOLOGIST IF YOU ARE PRONE TO BEING NAUSEOUS!!! I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. The last thing you want to do is throw up right after throat surgery. Pain of the 1st day is surprisingly low. I rated it 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst. This will fool you. You are not in much pain because of the steroid injection they give u during surgery. This wears off soon. Nothing will prepare you for the pain to come I promise.

Day 2: Pain starts increasing. Throat only so far.Pain = 5

Day 3: Pain was terrible. The pain migrated to my ears. The pain was throbbing and will bring you to your knees. Pain = 9

Day 4: Pain was worse. Pain = 10 / 10 Mornings are so bad...so bad. Complete hell. I took 2 percocet and my stomach rejected it. I threw up for 7 hours straight. I couldn't keep liquids down. I took Phenergan and I threw it right back up - Useless anti nausea medication it sucked. I got dehydrated, ended up in the emergency room. In the ER they gave me another steroid injection to calm the pain and they gave me the strongest anti nausea meds they had - these meds were made for cancer patients...they were perfect, a god send, I love the inventor of these.

Day 5: Steroids still in effect Pain = 4

Day 6: Wore off Pain = 9

Day 7: Pain = 10 I wanted it to end...it looked like there was no end it sight. THE PAIN DOES NOT GET GRADUALLY BETTER! DO NOT EXPECT A GRADUAL RECOVERY IT WONT HAPPEN AND YOU WONT NOTICE PROGRESS. IT IS THE WORST RIGHT BEFORE IT GOES AWAY!

Day 8, 9, 10: Pain = 10

Mid day 11: My friend made me laugh, it broke my scab on my left tonsil wound and i spit pieces out, the pain went from pain = 10 worst of any day to pain = 2 within 10 minutes...I was so happy I almost cried.

Days 12 - 14: Gradual recovery, pain is almost non existant, worst problem is my stomach pain from not eating real food just liquids. I felt terrible and nauseous and the taste of the scabs is disgusting.

Day 15 +: Amazing

(Food)
3 - 5 puddings a day for days 1 - 13. Terrible stomach pain after day 6 from not eating...but I couldn't. I ended up losing 15 pounds and I dropped down to 125lbs...Im trying to gain it back now because that is unhealthy.

I am eating normal foods again after 18 days, chicken, salmon, quesadillas, mmmm tasty haha

(Liquids)
I drank over 25 cups of ice water per day. It will help with pain, swelling, reduce risk of bleeding, and keep you hydrated. I pissed almost every 15 minutes lol. After like 5 days water tastes funny and gross because of your scabs...try your best. If you like Gateraide then god bless you because I think it tastes like ass but it will help cover the taste for you. Mix it 50/50 with water so you don't get too much salt.

Don't: cough, clear your throat, sneeze, bend over, exercise, talk too much, lay down flat when you sleep, take advil, pepto bismol, asprin, Vitamin E or anything that will thin blood. DON'T DRINK OR EAT DAIRY! They say eat lots of icecream after tonsils right? They lie: it builds up mucus in your throat and chokes you cause you cant clear your throat and the taste of rotting milk will stay in your thorat for days. IT...IS....GROSS.

Do: Swallow your pills in pudding or yogurt so you don't risk hitting your scabs. Rest a lot. Get someone to help you through recovery.

Benefits I've noticed so far:
The tonsil stones are gone...well DUH!. And guess what? Even when I had 16 day old rotting scabs in my throat...my breath smelled 100X better than when I had tonsils. I mean wow...BIG DIFFERENCE. I remember coming home on the 1st day and just smelling my breath and smiling...it smelled like nothing...what I've always wanted haha. I went 2 days without brushing my teeth after surgery...and my breath still smelled fine.

When I scrape my tongue now...no muscus build up on it and it doesn't smell. I only scrape off saliva...so I stopped...there isnt a purpose for it anymore.
I overall feel better. My tonsils were apparently HUGE the doctor said he was shocked to see how big they were and that I definitely needed them out and he didn't realize how bad it was from the outside.

Was it worth it for me? 2 weeks of absolute hell, terrible pain? Yes. For a life time of good breath and not having to worry constantly about my tonsils, it feels like a relief. The stress I put myself through on a daily basis, the amount of gum and mints I ate, the amount of times I licked my wrist to smell my breath, the amount of time i spent in front of the mirror trying to hack them out, the amount of time I spent using a flash light checking, the sore throats and strep throats, F*** all of that I'm done with it...I will never look back. I am completely satisfied with my decision.

I hope this helps at least 1 person. Lemme know.

This is an INCREDIBLE guide to surgery and I with I could somehow rate this so that people can see this. I think that what was really helpful was that you put a pain scale on it here because that sort of helps figure out what the surgery feels like. I can't imagine a 10 but I can tell that's a hell of a lot worse than 2, so that helps to know! What inspired you to write this? I'm really glad that you did this and I wonder what you're planning on doing to publish this more.

Thank you Bluedog I'm very glad you liked the guide. I wrote this last night just because I wanted someone to do this when I was considering getting my tonsils out and I just wanted them to tell me yes or no would it be worth it for tonsil stones. So when I got them out and I could actually answer that question I wanted to share what I went through.

I actually wish that as a guest they would let me edit my post because I wrote it at 5am last night and rushed because I was tired and I would like to add more to it. So in the coming days I will probably just post replies with more info. I am extremely glad this was helpful to you bluedog, thank you for replying and letting me know.

I agree; this is absolutely excellent! I had my tonsils/adenoids out 10 years ago when I was 19 and your incredibly accurate description brought back vivid memories. I also used to get tonsil stones, but only a few times a year; my problem was tonsillitis/strep throat infections literally about once a month to every other month for the past 10 years or so prior to that. (I grew up without health insurance so my parents never got it done for me, and as soon as I was working full time and on my own insurance it was the top thing on my list!)

The things I would like to add are these (warning: some of it is gross, but it's the truth that I wish I'd known beforehand):

1. Do NOT underestimate the pain level or recovery time. My surgeon had advised me to take two full weeks off of work and I chose to only take 10 days because I thought if I'd gone to school/work with all of those severe sore throats most of my life, I could handle this pain better than most other people. THAT WAS DUMB. There was still so much swelling that I couldn't be understood clearly enough to answer phones or speak to customers in person, so they put me in the back office filing papers, sitting down, with an ice pack on my throat, and about 4 hours into my shift I started vomiting (it comes out your nose when your throat is this swollen, by the way). Needless to say, I took another 5 days off and was recovered well enough for my normal work duties by the time I went back.

2. Food continues to taste funny (like, forever) for some people. For me this was a good thing because I had been a 3 can a day Pepsi drinker and to this day soda pop does not taste good to me anymore. I am sure that my cavity free (at age 29 now) teeth as well as my waistline thank me for this. Also, chocolate tasted horrible for about the first year, but thank God, my taste for that came back to me. I also never used to like or be able to eat spicy stuff and now I just love it. (That may have been due to my chronic sore throats before though.) I have talked to some other people that report similar experiences (with variances on what foods change for each person of course) and others who said that as soon as their throat was healed they went back to eating just like they did before with no noticable difference in the taste of foods.

3. In the 10 years since my tonsillectomy, I have had throat infections and strep throat probably 10-15 times. This sounds sort of bad, but considering it used to be 8-10 times per year, it's a huge improvement. I have pretty severe allergies and constant post-nasal drip even on the strongest allergy meds, plus I work in pharmacy, so I'm constantly exposed to sick people. So, for the people who are considering this surgery to completely eliminate throat related illness, you should know that it won't. It will drastically reduce it, but everyone I know who has had their tonsils out still get the occasional throat infection, just not as often or as painful and difficult to treat.

4. I agree 100% about the dairy! I avoid dairy because it makes my nasal allergies worse anyhow, but the first thing they tried to give me in the hospital was one of those "shakes" that is like a Wendy's Frostie with the fakey flat wooden spoon. It BURNED so bad with the first bite that it brought tears to my eyes (this was on day one, when my pain level had been pretty low previous to that) and I asked the nurse if there was anything else I could possibly have and threw away the rest (I never waste food so that is really saying something). I had attempted a peach frozen yogurt at home on about day 5 and while it didn't burn the way the chocolate did; it mixed with my pain meds and literally curdled in my stomach, causing me to vomit what looked like cottage cheese, and my breath did not improve the rest of that day, even with brushing and gargling the salt water.

5. They make liquid pain medications (tylenol w/ codeine and lortab both come as elixirs, and once your pain level is more tolerable, just buy the OTC children's tylenol or motrin and increase the dose to adult strength); much easier than crushing tablets into pudding or applesauce and easier on your tummy if all you're keeping down is water and ice chips. (Which, by the way, was my experience even though I normally have an iron stomach.)

6. If you live alone, find someone to go stay with for the first 3 days or so. I went home to my parents' house and was really glad that I did. You get weak from not eating real food so it really is all of the energy you have just going to the bathroom and back to bed for the first few days, (because, as mentioned in the original article, drinking seriously about a gallon or so of ice water a day does help recover faster by irrigating those yucky scabs) and you WILL be in a narcotic haze and lose track of how often you've taken meds if you don't have someone helping you.

I would recommend getting the surgery to anyone with chronic tonsilitis, and if your tonsil stones are bad enough that you're to the point of considering surgery, I'm sure it's worth it for you too. Definitely be ready for this to be a difficult surgery though, because as the original post mentioned, it's not the actual surgical pain while you're still in the hospital (like most surgeries) that is worse, it is the LONG recovery time that literally stays at pain level 9-10 for days and days. (And just so you know, if you try to rip off your scabs early because you think it will make the pain go away, it's just like any other scab; it will bleed and grow back and hurt more, there is literally no way to speed up the healing process other than just waiting for your throat to heal and scabs to come out on their own.)

My 22 year old daughter just had a tonsillectomy in order to have the only real cure for chronic cryptic tonisillitis and the tonsil stones that come with it. I had my tonsils out at 40, and by then the bacterial colony that harbored the tonsil stones had become so invasive that the ENT surgeon had to dissect deeply into the pharangeal tissue. While I appreciate your pain scales day-by-day -- my pain started at a 9, shot up to a 10 and didn't slack off for 2 weeks. The pain was so excruciating, I couldn't even talk for 10 days. To avoid this type of post-op nightmare for my daughters (all of who inherited my multi-crypted tonsils with tonsil stones), I recommended they all get the surgery early (and while they were still covered on my insurance). The oldest had her tonsillectomy at 21, the youngest at 14, and my middle daughter, who held out because of her dread of needles, nausea, and medical procedures in general, finally had hers out a week ago today. I agree with you - it is worth it, but two of my daughters had "bleeders". My oldest daughter (on Day 8) was able to get by with an in-office cauterization. My middle daughter (Day 6) spent all last night in the hosptial undergoing post-op surgery that included cauterization and over-stitching on both sides. When I talked to their ENT (the same surgeon did them all, plus my youngest daughter's nasal surgery), he said the single biggest indicator for post-op secondary (more than 24 hours after tonsillectomy surgery) bleeding is FAMILY HISTORY. This seems to be borne out by the fact my older brother (who had his tonsillectomy at 17) also had extreme post-op bleeding on Day 7 that required another trip to the OR. Don't be fooled by the fact it is so late after surgery -- this is when the scabs start falling off and if the tissue underneath has vessels that are prone to bleed, this bleeding can be severe. The blood accumulation in the stomach (you may not even taste blood in your mouth) may make you extremely nasueous, and you will likely vomit. If you are coughing up or vomiting more than a cup of blood -- call your surgeon's office and head for the OR. Also, Phenergan is a wonder drug, but you have to take it intervenously, by injection, or in a suppository for it to work. None of my daughter's could tolerate the opiate-based pain relievers, but Phenegran works like a charm for easing pain and getting much-needed rest. Good luck to everyone out there who suffers from tonsil stones, and my prayers for rapid healing to all those who took the step to the only cure for chronically troublesome tonsils -- surgical removal of the problem.

I never usually comment on these things, but your guide is great...I just had my tonsils taken out today. Hopefully I have the same success you had, well minus the pain lol...Thanx 4 a lot for your advice!!

So I finally saw an ENT yesterday and it was like the biggest relief of my life. I have tried everything. Sprays, brushing everytime I ate anything, mouth wash, gum, water piks, you name it. I thought my stomach issues and gum sensitivity were the cause. I didn't quit smoking because it honestly masked some of horror of the smell and I would get so depressed every time I quit because I'd still have bad breath. Finally, I realized I kept having tonsil stones and researched it to death. I cleaned the infected tonsil out and 20 stones came out but two weeks later there were more. I am scheduling my appointment on Monday and scared to death to not do it. I communicate for a living and its like a curse. I always have to chew gum, mints or something. I have been fortunate in the attractive department so it hasn't been much of a hindrance but I do get comments or gum suggestions the two seconds I am in between pieces. I thought it was due to medication for my digestion problems and doctors ignored my complaints forever. Finally, after googling it to death I went to an allergist and found out I'm severely allergic to everything and he recommended I go to the ENT. The ENT said my tonsils are huge and since I have already tried antibiotics several times, gargling with hydrogen peroxide constantly and anything else possible its time for surgery. I'm scared to death but if it will get rid of this gross ass taste and me having to pick those gross little stones out of my throat its so worth it. I figure its a good time to start the patch or just quit cold turkey so as scared as I am its like a new lease on life not having to have my breath smell like death, rot or c**p. Sorry to be so vicious its been a long hull and I never discuss it and its such a worry and burden. I literally thought I was dying for awhile and the doctors were ignoring or missing it. THANK YOU all for your posts it gives me courage, inspiration and a safe place to vent. I feel like suing Orbitz, lol.

Amazing post - Here are my thoughts so far after 2 days -

While I'm definitely still quite early on in my recovery (It's 7am on Sunday morning and I had my surgery at 7am on Friday morning), I wanted to share some experiences of what I've found to be the most helpful so far. I have been reading a lot of these forums in the weeks leading up to my tonsillectomy, so naturally I was quite apprehensive, since people tend to have more motivation to post negative/painful experiences.

My primary focus has been to not only eat things that feel good (super cold, etc) but to constantly ask myself if the foods or liquids i'm consuming promote healing. I own a juicer and have been juicing a combination of spinach/celery/cucumber/apples, and then putting into a blender with ice, and adding hemp protein powder. Not only does it feel amazing, but it gives me nutrients that I otherwise wouldn't be able to consume (celery after a tonsillectomy? yikes). One tip would be that if you're not familiar with juicing, to buy one a week in advance so that your stomach can get used to the dense nutrients. Some people report slight nausea when they first start juicing, and the last thing you want to do after a tonsillectomy is induce nausea.

I've been eating a lot of popsicles. They're non-dairy and low in sugar. I got a Jugo Juice smoothie immediately post surgery that had yogourt in it. BIG NO. So much phlegm. Clearing your throat, or even spitting and swallowing are really difficult, so if dairy gives you this type of reaction, there are SO many other options.

For soup, I've been cooking quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) in a rice cooker (great rice alternative, way higher in protein) and mixing it with low sodium organic chicken broth. Once that started to get a little boring, I've been adding humous to that for flavour and protein. Last night, I even went to a local restaurant and had some chicken Pho.

Water, water, water!! My doctor gave great advice regarding this - She said that even if it's painful, the motion of swallowing will actually speed up healing. This may be the painkillers talking, but if you're really having a heck of a time swallowing in the beginning, come up with something that you say to yourself in your head that helps you stay focused. For me i would just think the words "I'm in control, I'm in control, I'm in control" as I was swallowing the liquid - it took away the fear of choking, and gave me something else to focus on.

Get a humidifier. I've found that my mornings have not been too terrible. They're definitely the worst part of the day so far, but if you have a humidifier beside your bed, and a glass of water with pain meds nearby, you're good to go.

I hope that this helps anyone having a rough time with surgery so far. Don't be afraid to reach out to friends to borrow some of these different appliances - I didn't even own a blender or a humidifier, but was lucky to have some friends that did. I already owned a juicer, but I would definitely ask friends if you can borrow theirs! A lot of people buy them with the intention of using them every day, but then they end up collecting dust in their pantry. On the topic of juicing, avoid citrus, and stick to veggies if you can. I predict it'll knock several days off of recovery!

I'll post again as the days progress. Best of luck to everyone.

I have no problems with my tonsils other than that someone who lives with me keeps telling me I have bad breath every damn day. I'm so tired of hearing it. I've tried flossing and brushing my teeth and tongue every time after I eat but it doesn't last long. Nor does mint or chewing gum work. My younger sister (early 30's) had her's taken out a few months ago and she told me it was worth going thru a few weeks of pain for lasting fresh breath so that's why I've decided to take mine out too. I don't want to scare anyone but I underestimated the pain level. I thought I could handle a sore throat since I've already suffered from a broken humerus, had 3 wisdom teeth taken out all at once and at the present moment, chronic lower back pain (the pain in my back sometimes leaves me immobilized for at least a week). But I found out a tonsillectomy is no joke. After the surgery, the pain in my throat was so bad I could not eat for 3 straight days. Even water was difficult for me to drink. I see that many people say to eat ice or popsicles but ICE COLD LIQUIDS and/or FOOD only INCREASES THE PAIN. Another thing that helped my throat a lot are COUGH DROPS. Today is my 5th day after surgery and I feel a lot better but it was pure hell the first 3 days for me -migraine headache, ear ache, can't go no. 2, constant constipation, can't eat anything, barely manage to drink or talk and drooling everywhere. After the 3rd day, I was able to eat rice porridge and cured salmon so I'm happy. My voice had changed after surgery but now, it's starting to sound the same again. I should also mention that my doctor used some kind of laser to perform on me (the word was long but it begins with the letter "b"). After my post-op appt. on June 15, 2010, I'll be back to post an update.

To the original poster: Thank you so much for writing this! I read the whole thing with tears in my eyes....I'm on day 11 now and the pain is so bad...the scabs are falling off, but my throat still hurts, I have that awful taste in my mouth, I can't eat anything, I spent most of last night throwing up and feeling nauseous...this has just been horrible. But I started crying when I read your post, because it really gave me hope- I know a tonsillectomy isn't THAT traumatic, but right now, for me, it is...and I just can't wait for all the pain to be over, the scabs to fall off, etc. Thank you for writing about your experience- it just helps me remember that I got the surgery for a reason and that there truly is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :-D

Hello there, Brittpinkie, I'm sorry to hear you're still in pain :-( May I ask how old you are and what procedure was performed on you? I also want to mention that although cough drops helped soothed my sore throat, I discovered the hard way that it causes heartburn and acid reflux. I didn't get a lump in my throat until after I started taking those cough drops so whether or not it's good for the throat, it's not worth taking it. The procedure for me was coblation and I'm 33 yrs old. Today is day 10 after surgery but the pain already stopped for me on day 8 (except for the lump in throat and heartburn). The bad taste in my mouth is almost gone but I still can't brush my tongue. Each time I try to, I start to gag. I hope you're doing all the right things to help you heal. Take care.

I had my tonsils out 3 years ago. I had a post op infection and bleeding where I had to go back into theatre and be re-stitched. Obviously I was in excruciating pain at the usual times BUT it was much much less bad than actually having tonsilitis. I found that with the op it was just pain whereas with tonsilitis I used to be so ill, for at least 2 weeks at a time. I can't reccommend having this procedure strongly enough. Even with all the complications (I also have type 1 diabetes) it still wasn't as bad as my tonsilitis and strep throat!! Before the op I woke up every single morning with a sore throat, but since I've had maybe 2 sore throats, and they were hay fevery or coldy sore throats and not infected, just a little bit red and raw. Best of luck to anyone who is considering this op, even during the most painful times I didn't regret it for a second! :-) xxx

Hello, thank you for such a detailed explanation day by day. Today is my fist day of surgery, so by now, I know the worst is yet to come. I was wondering what kind of surgery you had; if if was the old fashioned one where the burn your tonsils, or the newer one where they take them out with radio frequency and saline water. It will be helpful to know. Thanks.

I had the radio frequency tonsil removal this past Wednesday. Today is Friday for those of you that read this much later. I've not taken any pain medication at all! The pain has been no worse than having Strep. The procedure took about 20 minutes (maybe less!). Swabbed on some numbing stuff, stuck the local anesthetic in there and went to town. The only downside is the smell and taste of burning. If you have this procedure, ask for the nurse to use the suction, it helps tremendously with the smell. Unfortunately, the taste will carry for quite some time. It was with me all Wednesday no matter what I ate, went away for a period of Thanksgiving and now it seems that the coating on the back of my throat is slowly dissolving and that carries remnants of the taste.

Someone mentioned foods tasting funny.. Everything is a little bit richer, everything is a little different. I don't care for syrup at the moment, very strange. I actually liked carrot cake, something I wouldn't eat before. I might post back again if I find this continues, but I think it might have something to do with that smoky flavor I can't get rid of.

My glands are a bit swollen from the trauma I guess, but a couple hours of cold compress did the trick. A good night's sleep and I'm feelin' pretty great. On the day of the surgery I had a full sandwhich two hours later and went in to work. I wasn't feeling as great towards the end of the day, I think my adrenaline and nerves from the morning carried me. But, I managed down some chicken in the evening, but the rice I made to go with it stung a little. Yesterday, Thanksgiving, I had no trouble except the dry turkey. Peas, bread, mashed potatoes, apple pie, stuffing - no problem. This morning I had some toast from the loaf of bread we baked yesterday, no problem!!

Anyway.. I guess what I'd like to say is that my procedure was super fast and super easy and I am a no-doctor person. I was having all kinds of issues with tonsil stones too and this was DEFINITELY the answer I needed. I recommend this to ANYONE. It was short enough and easy enough for a child to endure and the aftermath has been no more severe than the illness that drove me to do it. Two weeks of recuperation? No thanks. I'm on day 3 and outside of a little bit of a swollen neck and some minor pain swallowing, I feel like normal. I'd do this again.

i just had a tonsillectomy on feb 15, 2011 for the same reason you got yours removed. you were lucky that you got yours removed at such a young age. i didn't "discover" my tonsil stones problem until i was 25 when i spit one one of those nasty things and googled what it was. and for sure, even if i had to recover for 1 month, tonsillectomy is definitely worth it.

i found this website very helpful in preparing for recovery:

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

it gives you tips on what food to eat, what medicine to buy (nasal spray, ear drops etc) and what pain to expect.

"STAGE 1: MODERATE PAIN (Days 1-3, post op), STAGE 2: MODERATE TO SEVERE PAIN (Days 4-9, post op), STAGE 3: MODERATE TO MINOR PAIN AND DISCOMFORT (Day 10 (or thereabouts), post op)"

my pain was pretty much what they had written down, probably because my tonsils were pretty small: DAY1 = 3, DAY2 = 2, DAY3 = 2, DAY 4 = 3, DAY 5 (today) = 6

i was even able to go out with my friends and eat sushi on DAY3

the only problem i've had so far is that my doctor only prescribed me 30 painkiller pills which only lasted me till DAY4 and i had to go to a Walk-in Clinic to get more and ended up getting sick probably from one of the other patients in the waiting room. the Doctor at the Walk-in Clinic said they usually don't prescribe painkillers at Walk-Ins but prescribed me some anyhow once she saw my throat and wondered out loud why my Doctor didn't give me enough. probably to prevent me from getting addicted.

anyways, i'm only on DAY5 and i will definitely be posting some more here and all over the internet to help others who are suffering from tonsil stones and may not know it and those who know and would like to know what to do before, during and after a tonsillectomy. great article btw. it's nice to know there are others like me.