I'm a 45 year old woman who is having a consult with my ENT to schedule a tonsillectomy.  o.O I've had tonsil issues my whole adult life and now suffer from chronic cryptic tonsils that are constantly filled with tonsil stones and get sore when I can't get the stones out (which most of the time I feel like I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg).  I can push on the tonsils with a q-tip and see the white bulging out but can only break off small bits of it.  I know there is ALWAYS a lot more in there that I can never access.  It's really awful.  Sometimes a given tonsil will get sore because of the stuff being trapped in there.  If I CAN manage to get some of the stones out, it will make the tonsil feel better but they just keep on coming back and back and back.

I feel like my tonsils have become even more deeply pitted over the years after infections.  I don't get the requisite 5-7 infections a year but I do get tonsillitis about once a year and it seems like it's more severe and takes longer to heal the older I get.  This season I have had two bouts of bad tonsillitis within a 4 month period.  This last one was particularly bad.

The tonsil stones have been virtually non stop for many years. :-)   The ENT I go to has told me that he will authorize a tonsillectomy and it's been really up to me to make the decision. I have been scared to do it and have put off the idea for a long time.   He has explained it's a very non-fun recovery and has not sugar coated it.  After reading many posts on here from adults post-tonsillectomy it certainly does sound like a rather horrifying ordeal.  o.O But I don't want to go into my 50's, 60's 70's or beyond still dealing with this.  I'm afraid at some point I'll end up with an abcess or an infection that simply doesn't heal.  Despite what doctors say, I cannot possibly believe have that rotting, stinking tonsil matter in your tonsils (the 'stones) is in any way normal or healthy! eh

I am hoping to post here throughout my experience and just wanted to get thoughts of any adults (especially 'older'  ones like me)  :-) who've been through this experience. I think I'll need a LOT of support. :-)

I appreciate any thoughts you have and if you felt, in the long run, that it was worth it.

Oh, my, I'm noticing the date you posted, briz350, and wondering if you ever followed through with the surgery.   I am quite a bit older than you are (almost 60!!) and my story is a carbon copy of yours.  I've had horrible tonsils all my life, and I put myself on the surgery schedule twice when I was in my 40's to have them removed...I chickened out both times because I was so afraid of the post-op recovery.  I am a registered nurse and was working for an ENT at the time!!  Here I am, years later, and I just cannot bear to live with them anymore...they simply must come out and I just cannot get over the fear....not on the surgery schedule yet, and I know when I am, the anxiety is going to get much worse.   Any adult who has had tonsillectomy please post your experience...any suggestions which will help in the recovery would be greatly appreciated. ;)8-|

Hi eeeekssss! I'm 56 and had Op. 7 days ago. No bleeding, nausea etc. Have panadol-codeine tabs. and Zylocaine [viscous], to gargle. Day 2 started on solids - as recommended by hospital. [omelettes & toast]. All going well. [zylocaine really helps numb the area, to get food down]. Day 6, and today, pain has worsened, but bearable [with meds!] I'm expecting things to get a bit worse over the next few days. Wait and see! [Note: with me - I found water causes the worst pain. So, I chug down as much as I can in one hit, then use zylocaine to numb.] Thought you might like this info. Will keep you posted, if you would like to know how I progress from today [Day 7]. ♥ Pat

I had my tonsils out today I'm 23. I have had tonsil stones for a long time and they were giving me bad breath and they were just so gross! I also had my adenoids removed because they were spongy and had debreas in them from chronic sinus infections over the years. Honestly this does suck but it is not as bad as I thought it would be. I got myself all psyched out about it and thought I was going to be crying in agony after. I have been taking my Percocet and ibuprofen and drinking lots of cold water. Water is extremely important! You have to push fluids or you will feel even worse. I have been using ice on the outside of my throat and that helps a little. Swallowing hurts but it's nothing I can't handle. My huge complaint is that since he took my adenoids my uvula is sooo swollen, I'm talking like 4 times the size it normally is. I have to sleep sitting up and I can't feel it just hanging on my tongue. I feel like I could gag on it and it cuts off my breathing of i lay flat. I know that in the end this is going to be so worth it. It is only 10 days out of my life that I will be in pain as opposed to a lifetime of social agony and stinky breath from those awful stones!!! Go for it don't be afraid you will be fine as long as you take your meds on time. I set my alarm every 3 1/2 hrs thought the night. Good luck!