ive had bad post nasil drip for about a year now, which was always linked to bad dust mite allergies. anyway so now i also have tonsil stones, which is from tonsilitis which i get about 2-3 times a year! having tonsil stones is horrible and really does affect your lifestyle, work etc. So my ENT decided first consiltaion that i was going to get a tonsillectomy, which is great! that is if it clears up all of these throat realted problems i have. So i have a few questions i hope you guys can help me with.. firstly, how bad does a tonsillectomy hurt ? i heard its really bad :( also, do you think that it will make my post nasil drip go away, or make it worse? tell me everything i need to know about getting my tonsils out, cause im scared :'( 

Hi Hannah, I had my tonsillectomy on the NHS 11 days ago. Over the years I have suffered bad bouts of tonsillitis which had left my tonsils covered in scars and holes and basically a mess, I was also prone to the dreaded tonsil stones. I'm 35 and was warned about how bad the op would be my the surgeon and also friends of a similar age  who have had theirs done, they were all of the same opinion and that it is the worst thing they have ever had to go through. I won't lie to you, it's even worse than that! I cried every day for the first 6 days and struggled to even sip water (I have really bad acid reflux), they got infected within a day of leaving hospital and painkillers didn't seem to help (although I'm sure they must of!) They made me eat a sandwich at the hospital a few hours after the operation which was agony, they don't believe in the soft food theory over here its 'eat and drink as you would normally'. I'm now on day 11 and went to see my GP today, the infection is gone and it is healing nicely however has still got the white mank on it which is perfectly normal. I have a sore throat on swallowing and ear ache on one side and have also lost my sense of taste. I can taste savoury a little bit but no sweet :-( not even when i put 3 sweeteners in my tea!! The GP says this will return in it's own time. Overall, in 11 days I am stunned at the recovery given how ill I was for the first 6. I hope I have answered all your questions, just give me a shout if I can help with anything else! :-)

Hi there, how long on the NHS did u have to wait for your tonsillectomy Jude?

Hi Clare,

I saw my consultant in February and got the operation in April, so about 8 weeks :-)