I'm 16 years old and had my tonsillectomy done a week ago today. I am still in a lot of pain and have to take the pain medication prescribed to me every 4 hours (sometimes one, sometimes 2).

The day of surgery was fine, probably because I had so much pain stuff in my system from the actual operation.
The next day was probably the worst I've had, and I ate to try and sooth the pain a lot (popsicles, mostly).
Day 3 and 4 I was throwing up a lot, because I couldn't eat when I took the pain pills. When I started forcing a little of SOMETHING down when taking one it really helped, and I stopped throwing up.

After that the pain has weened of a little, but I've hit a plateau. I still can't eat normal foods, and soft foods hurt. It's a nightmare, laying around for a week hoping each day will get better, but really it's pretty much the same each day. Yawning hurts the most. I have a slight cough but that's it.

Basically, it's like a bad case of strep that just won't go away.
I'm hoping I'll be alright soon though.

Hi! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm thinking about having tonsillectomy too but I'm 25 :-( I have problems with tonsil stones for a while so I believe tonsillectomy would be the right thing to do.

April O. Ive had problems with tonsil stones too! I'm sixteen, and I'm getting my tonsils out in two days /: nerve racking. I'm nervous about the recovery because I'm considered an "adult body" type.

I'm 16 and I had my tonsils removed a week ago from today and the pain seems like it's never gonna go away. I can't eat anything without it irritating/burning my throat (same as with drinking) I've took all of the pain medicine that they had given me so now I'm taking kids Ibubrofen because the adults ibuprofen doesn't come in liquid form. I'm so nauseated from the Taste in the back of my throat. I use the 8oz glass of warm water with 1/2 table spoon of salt and baking soda but it doesn't work! Everytime I swallow it's like a huge lump in my throat and I get so nauseated. I had to go back to work today and it was awful. I have the worse headache and I just don't know what to do.

I’m 16 years old and got my tonsils out December 15, right before I went into surgery the nurse said “get ready for the worst 2 weeks of your life” but I was only in really bad pain the first 3 days . By the 4 day I was still taking medicine every 4 hours but I was also eating chick-fil-a. I honestly recommend eating because I found it helps the scabs come off without having to taste them cause they taste soooo nasty !!!

I am 16 & I just had my tonsils and adenoids removed Tuesday. I haven’t been able to eat hardly anything & my ears are hurting so bad. It’s like a bad ear infection that won’t go away. I tried eating normal foods but can’t really chew & soft foods hurt too. The only thing I’ve eaten today is 3 strawberries & a popsicle. I was actually wondering when I should start feeling better because this is awful.