All,
I am 27 years old and I am on my 7th day post surgery. I was absolutely dreading this operation because my doctor was very candid with me about all the things that could go wrong. I have two children and had didn't need pain meds for either delivery, so you could say I have a pretty high thresh hold for pain. The first 2 days post op were relatively easy, I took the advice of my nurses and drank cold soda (ginger ale and diet coke), sucked on popsicles and avoided solid foods. Day 3 through 6 were a nightmare. The pain meds made me nauseous so I was prescribed anti-emetics suppositories which did the trick but the combination of medicines and lack of food made me extremely tired. So I spent most of the time sleeping. On day six I was brave enough to try a warm salt water gargle which seems to have helped calm things down. I am now able to eat meatloaf, mash potatoes, and bread dipped in soup. I have lost a few pounds but my pain is well managed. It is an effort to talk because there seems to be extra saliva in my mouth all the time. I also notice that there is a lot of mucus in my throat and the salt water gargle is helping to clear that.
My list of top foods:
Cream of mushroom soup, Butternut squash soup, jello, tapioca pudding, scrambled egg, mashed potato, meatloaf, yoghurt, chicken noodle soup, popsicles and vanilla ice cream.
Good luck to everyone who is tackling this as an adult!