I just posted this on another topic, but figured it would helpful to people who haven't had the surgery yet. Let me start off by saying I'm 42 and a big baby when it comes to being sick.

I just had my tonsillectomy on Dec 28. After the 5th day I'm doing pretty good. Even after the first day I wasn't totally incapacitated. I have my pain meds, Tylenol w/codeine elixir and Vicodin elixir (not taken together obviously). I didn't know about the tongue pain or swelling of the uvula (most of that is from the anesthesiologist shoving a tube down your throat to keep you breathing) , but they are going down.

I had wanted my tonsils out since 2007 when I started developing constant tonsil stones. I would dig them out every other day, and I knew I would eventually hurt myself getting those suckers out. But because of the horror stories I read about from people recovering from tonsillectomies, I would put it off. A couple times a year I would check if there had been any new techniques developed that minimized pain and recovery. It was always the same  few techniques. The knife, coblatian, electricity etc. They all had scabbing (which if I understand, where a lot of the pain is coming from), and a greater chance of bleeding. I didn't want any of that.

Last month I was looking again and came across a tissue welding technique developed by Starion. Here's an article:

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

The hard part was finding an ENT who actually used this device, because Starion isn't a big boy in the medical equipment field (that might be changing soon, because they were recently bought). I only found one ENT in the Los Angeles area who was using this technique, and after meeting with him, I scheduled my surgery for two weeks later.

As I said, it's 5 days later. I had two burritos for lunch today (sure, it wasn't perfect because you still have discomfort). I still need to avoid acidic foods like citrus or tomato based products. I've got no scabbing. I don't always take my full medicine dose, and sometimes skip the regular intervals. It's like having a sore throat when you have a cold. Some have described the worst of it as strep, but if I had that, it was early on. (I just made sure to take my meds and drink LOTS of water. The only other time I notice the pain has been the last couple days, and that's because I feel so "normal," I have not been drinking enough water, so my throat gets dry. I also tried putting a humidifier in my room at night but not sure it actually does anything.

So, to make a short story longer, there is a newer procedure out there that definitely cuts the pain and recovery times down, but like anything else, do your research. Here is a page from my ENT's site where one of his patients chronicled his adventures with tissue welding. 

I'm not trying to shill, but I've been looking for a long time for new tonsillectomy techniques, and with my luck, a new one will come out next year with no pain and no recovery.

If anything changes, I'll post again but I'm hoping each day will just get better and better.

Thanks for listening and good luck,

Erik

It looks like they took out my links. You'll have to look up tissue welding tonsillectomy on your own I guess.

ErikR

How did your surgery progress after the 5th day. Anyone else had any experience  with this Thermal Welding Tonsillectomy? Im in need of the surgery but am too a big baby...would like the least painful and quickest recovery time.  Thank you

Each day got better. I was eating regular food by then. I made sure to take my pain meds on schedule, but I didn't have unbearable pain to begin with (maybe because I was taking my stuff on time. I had a Tylenol with codeine and a liquid vicodin). By day 7 I was taking over the counter stuff (no blood thinners). The pain was never worse than a strep throat, and as I said, each day was better. The worst, really, was my tongue. They have to clamp it out of the way, so the sides of my tongue were a little scraped up and had huge bumps for a couple weeks after. I don't know if everyone goes through that. I had no bleeding and no scabbing. I never even had to go back for a follow up. I recommend it, but don't know who else is doing it in Los Angeles, besides Dr. Farhad Sigari.

Thanks Erik..Im 47 and also a big baby when it comes to being sick.I too have had problems with my tonsils for years but only read horror stories. I will look for the Website and get in contact with the Starion Rep to see if any are available in San Antonio Texas area. Yours was the first post I had read about this new Thermal Fusion Tonsillectomy. I looked on line and you dont find too many experiences on this new technique. Thanks again.

Erik..did you experience any tonsil hemorage or bleeding during your recovery at home; any helpful hints what to eat during your recovery; what meds to take. Did anything make it worse or better?..I having to drive 1 1/2 to 2 hours in traffice to get to an ENT that does the thermal welding tonsillectomy and Im wondering if its worth it. I have my appointment this Friday. Just would hate to drive home then for my tonsils to start bleeding then I would have to drive another 2 hours to get to ENT office. Any feed back or suggestion would help

I'm having this done tomorrow by Dr. Sigari here in LA, is that who you went to?

Thanks! That makes me feel better. I actually talked I Dr Sigari and think I'll get it done this summer. I live in FL but have a friend I can stay with in LA!

where did u get tis procedure done , ive been looking for someone in ny to do this same procedure , but i cant find one please help

Do you know of any doctors in florida or georgia who use thermal welding for tonsillectomies? Is it better than coblation, which is supposed to be better than hot cauterization? Thanks.

Yes, it's better than coblation. Coblation still burns and causes scabbing. You will have to Google "tissue welding" in your area.

Hey Erik. Great information thank you. I really would like to get my tonsils removed using this technology but im in the UK and the only place I have managed to find is the same one you used in LA. This obviously presents a problem for me but I am desparate to do this using this method. I have seen your Youtube videos and im relaxed so much more from your experiences as i must have mine removed for the same reason. Do you remember how much the operation cost you? I may have to journey to LA for this as I just dont think i will find this in the UK :'(

My insurance took care of some of it, but I had a $3500 deductible. Not sure how much out of pocket it was since I can't seem to find it in my records. Your best bet would be to contact that office, and talk with them. They would certainly be glad to help.

Good luck,
Erik

Dear Erik, looking back at it now how long would you say it took you to recover fully? Thanks

Miro, the worst of it was the tongue pain, and that's because they have to clamp it down so it takes a beating. You know how when you bite your tongue really bad and it forms those white sore spots? That's what it's like. As I said, I was eating burritos within 5 days. Stay hydrated and take your pain meds (I requested a liquid pain killer with codeine). I used a timer on my phone in order to stay on top of it (even if it was the middle of the night).

So to answer your question, my throat was fine in about a week, but my tongue took longer.