Daughter got tonsils & adenoids out because of sleep apnea.
DAY 1 - operation at 9am. Woke up from anesthia crying & very upset. Said she couldn't breath, felt funny, etc. Fell asleep after 15 min and awoke in good mood. Ate ice chips and italian ice and went home. Gave her Moltrin every 6 hrs and this did well to control pain (doctor said Moltrin OK because she bled very little during operation - I hear sometimes they don't allow Moltrin). Ate ice chips and popsicles. At night gave Tylenol w/codeine and this made her sick/vomit. Decided not to give that anymore. Slept pretty good that night. When awoke gave her Moltrin. She's taking medicine pretty easy which is nice.
DAY 2 - like day 1, but eating some soft foods. I think this the day bad breath set in. Heard this is normal. Also, funny sounding voice, water comes out of nose when drinking, and sometimes won't talk.
DAY 3 - Threw up mucous in morning 3 times, then felt better. Otherwise, like day 2 except using sigh language to communicate.
DAY 4- Started out well. However, in middle of night woke up in terrrible pain. Very bad ear pain. Started giving tylenol in between Moltrin every 6 hrs (therefore getting pain meds every 3 hrs.). Moltrin wore off after 2-3 hrs and Tylenol did little to help pain. Started using ice packs on throat and ears and this helped control pain after she left them on for about 10 minutes. I read heating pad works well for ear pain but she refuses to try one. Now difficult to give pains meds because so much ear pain when swallowing. No longer wants to eat/drink. Wakes in middle of night crying in pain. Make her take pain meds but it's not easy. She likes the ice packs so always have a cold one on hand in freezer. About 30 minutes after giving Moltrin only time I can get her to drink something. The 2-3 hrs following the administration of Moltrin only happy times for us right now. I read this is the time the white scabs you see on throat starting to loosen. They say to keep throat moist/drink alot to lesson pain. Try telling her that!
DAYS 5,6,7 - like DAY 4. Except, water no longer coming out nose when drinking & is talking again. Has good moments when Moltrins working but lots of ear pain when pain meds wear off. Still alternating Moltrin/Tylenol for every 3 hr pain relief (again, Tylenol not working well). Try to get her to eat/drink half hour after Moltrin. Sometimes successful, sometimes not.
DAY 8 - woke up not crying in pain. Hurray! She feels pretty good this morning. Did not even take Moltrin this morning. Just an ice pack which worked to ease the slight morning pain. I thinks she's past the rough times.

Hi Mommy29,
I am on day 5 of my tonsillectomy and I didn't have it as bad as your daughter has. I am 24 years old and did my homework before my surgery. I even kept a spray bottle handy and would spray my throat to keep it moist. The ear pain and not being able to talk has been the worst for me so far. But my ear pain isn't as bad as it has been when I was sick before. I am on Percocet and have only been taking half of it when needed. The last time I took a pain pill was yesterday morning when I woke up. I like to believe I heal pretty quickly but staying positive has helped too I guess. The scabs formed yesterday and seem to have started to fall off today (not exactly sure though) but it is painful! Almost like you have a huge wad of spit stuck in your throat. It's more scary than anything because you feel like you can't breathe. I am hoping I am healing quickly!!! My ear still kind of hurts on and off but not too bad and I can smell the stinch coming from my mouth and it is not pleasant!!!

my 5 year old daughter recently had tonsills and adenoids removed and recovery was a challenge. she had no postop vomiting but pain control was difficult as she hates taking meds. The throat pain lasted about5 days and was relieved with liquid tylenol and liquid lortab. by far the most challenging was the ear pain that started about 1 week out. heat was a great releiver as she complained that ice aggrrevated the pain. We finally hit upon the hand warmers that fit inside gloves-air activated and an elastic hairband to hold them in place-worked great and she was hands free to play. Also useful for throat dryness was a bedside humidifier-about $50 bucks. Was especially useful at night. To disguise the taste of the liquid meds we had the pharmacy add flavoring and also used strawberry syrup. Of course we used numerous popsicles and made milk shakes in the blender. If you make the shakes juice glass size, you can even put the liquid meds in them-dont let your child see you do this or it wont work again.

I am on the net this morning as my four-yr old daughter is post-op day 5 from tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. We thought she'd be bouncing back much better but is still having a rough time. We are giving Tylenol with Codeine as prescribed every 4-6 hours but she it's tough to get it into her. She has eaten only bites of this and that and thankfully was able to move her bowels finally yesterday. She only pees about twice per day (usually she goes every hour!!)

She has been complaining of neck pain and belly pain and the breath is awful. I will try the humidifier and also the hot paks on her ears, perhaps they will help.

I am somewhat to hear that other kids took up to eight days to feel 'normal'. I am tempted to take her back to the MD to check for infection but will give it a bit more time.

Thanks

hi my daughter had a tonsilectomy and a biopsy on her tongue on 2/6/10 she was very distressed while going under the anesthetic and also very upset and aggitated when she awoke crying screaming and thrashing about on the bed however after few hours she had settled down again and got home that evening. however the following day she was unable to swallow solids, liquids or medication so i phoned back to the ward she had been in and they asked to taske her back in she was then kept in over night until pain relief had been administered and was eating slightly better she seemed to pick up a bit on the sat and sun but by monday night she was screaming that her ear was sore she had already been put on anti biotics in hospital but the g doc gave another course her temperature was also 39.0c howevger on the tuesday morning she just didnt want to do anything so i phoned my own gp who looked at her and sent her straight back to hospital again as her throat was slightly septic she was put on iv fluids and anti biotics and kept in for 48 hours until she was eating properly she seemed to be fine for the whole weeek just past but today has beencomplaining of sore throat again i don't know if this is just for attention or just to get out of doing anything but i worry because of all the complications she has had so if in doubt contact you gp for reassurance

My son is having the same surgery and it helped reading your story. I feel like I can better prepare for the after care. :-) :-) :-)

My 10-year-old daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed 8 days ago. She was eating applesauce, yogurt and pancakes the evening of the procedure. I thought this meant she would continue to make progress forward in her healing, but the next day was vomiting. We found that Ginger Ale and soda crackers that she mushed in her mouth relieved the nausea. She kept positive about everything and was drinking lots of ice water. (Ice water and popsicles were her favorite things to easy the soreness in her throat - not ice cream like so traditionally suggested) By day 3 she was able to eat relatively normally, soft foods of course. Day 4 is when she really turned the corner to feeling more normal, I'm sure that being able to eat helped. She has not had problems with ear pain, but her biggest complaint is jaw pain. Tylenol, every 6 hours or so, is taking care of that. Her voice is not yet back to normal, she sounds like she has a big clog in her throat, but am confident when the scabs fall off completely she will not have that problem anymore.

Hi Moms, daddy is wondering when the pain will end. My Daughter had her tonsils removed, anaoids, and insertion of ear tubes 9 days ago. She is still in throat pain even though the throat looks like its healing. We went back to the surgeon on day 7 and he says everything looks normal except that the throat is a bit dry. We started using the humidifier 3 times per day and have her breath in the mist for 10mins at a time. Also, a warm towel on the neck works. The other concern is stool. She has not used the stool since day before of surgery. Doctor advised over the counter pills which she has taken today.

My 2 year old baby is having procedure done in the morning, I am scared to death, thanks for sharing your stories!!!

My daughter just had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy about 5 days ago and I guess reading all of the posts I have been pretty lucky. she has been wonderful, very little pain really not more than what she would get with tonsillitis. she has been eating very well and is driving me crazy to go back to school. I am not doing very well though, I am a nervous wreck worrying about the scabs falling off and the bleeding that can happen. I wish you all the best of luck with recovery.

My 2 year old had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, old tube out and new ones in!! Its day 8 now and he is still in so much pain. The Loratab that they gave him he had an adverse reaction to it (crazy mad man!!). The Tylenol works for about an hour and then its right back to the crying and the whining. He still will barely talk, drinks about 6-9 oz a day, and has had one stool since the surgery. We are getting about 2-3 hours of sleep at night. We went to the ER last night because he was so lethargic form being dehydrated. Going to try the humidifier tonight and hope for better results!!

Code:

Quote:

I am so glad I found this site...now I dont feel so alone! My 4 yr old daughter had her tonsils & adnoids removed last thursday. Today is day 6. She was ok on day one & two..eating soft items & drinking lots of water. Thats when the anesthisa wore off! Shes in soo much pain. The poor thing. Shes on tylenol with codine & Im piggy backing that with a dose of motrin. Shes a bigger 4yr old...almost 4 ft & 52 lbs. That cocktail seems to do the trick at first...2-3 hrs later shes thrashing around again. I know that this had to be done, but i feel so bad!! Meanwhlie I feel like I have the worst hangover due to the fact I have been in her princess bed for the past 3 nites half on the matteress half on the floor, While my husband & 18 month old snore from our comfy king size bed.

my daughter is 9 yrs old.. i never had my tonsils out but have done my homeowrk on the subject .. so far so good-she had the surgery tuesday morning.. did great went in like a trooper.. first day was a quiet day - i am alternating hydrocodone and motrine per pharmacist.. so every 2 to 3 hrs she on meds... the first nite she ate nothing outta ordinary even tried a chip... dr says to let her have whatever she wants so we are.. its up to her what her throat can handle.. were at thrusday evening n we have not had an issue .. her pain went from a 2-3 to a 6 today.. but she managing it well... her neck hurts so im going with ice pack today for her.. her voice is a bit higher than before surgery ...overall shes doing well....

Hi all!
Thanks for all of your posts! My 7yr old daughter will be having a Tonsillectomy next Fri. Will keep everyone posted on her recovery.
I am nervous %-)

My 7 year old daughter is having a tonsillectomy on 2/11/11. I am nervous, but appreciate all of your stories. I feel more prepared!