I am a 30 year old male who had my tonsillectomy and adenoids removed done on Thursday 3/20. So far this process has been painful and inconvenient, but nowhere as bad as I expected.

The day of the surgery I arrived there at 9:40am and did not leave until around 5pm. I will need to have testing done as I likely have sleep apnea now. It was somewhat irritating that during recovery whenever I began to breathe shallow, I was awaken.

Thursday and Friday I slept most of the entire days, due thankfully to the pain med Percocet.

Here are some tips and also things to be aware of.

1) Have a variety of foods and drinks already purchased for when you return home. Everyone is so individualized on what works best for them. For me bananas were the best to start with and ramen also works well. Popsicles and ice cream are also nice. So far tapioca pudding and mashed potatoes did not go over well with me and actually got me sick. Also stock up on a ton of Gatorade and water.

2) Some of the worst pain was not my throat, but rather my legs and stomach. The doctor explained a little to me that a specific anesthetic tries to relax all muscles in a chaotic way so they prepare to operate and that can stress out muscles for up to a few minutes and have results lasting a few days. The day of the surgery my legs felt sore like I had worked out a lot. Then on Friday and Saturday my stomach felt like I did a million sit ups.

3) Make sure you clearly know what meds you will have, the dosage and frequency of each and when to start each of them. At the end while leaving I tried to ask these questions and I was in no shape to understand, and the nurses were confused and my friend was already outside waiting for me. Get this all in writing sooner than later. Some I started that night and others I waited until the next day.

4) Do not plan to do much of anything as far as errands. Even something as simple as riding in the car (not driving) for 5-10 minutes was exhausting yesterday.

5) Make sure to always take maximum dosage of the pain meds and set your alarm to take every 4 hours. I take it every day at 3am, 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, and 11pm. I tried backing down to 1 and 1 1/2 tbsp and that was a huge mistake.

6) Keep hydrated with lots of water preferred but also Gatorade to help add variety and to get those electrolights. Keep liquids at your bedside and drink throughout the night too, because some of the most painful moments have been waking up at night with a dry throat.

7) Make sure to have someone with you from the surgery, through that night and at least for the majority of the following day. Even the most simple of things will be overwhelming to do. The pain meds also slow down and confuse the thought process so it is just best to have someone there for a few days if at all possible.

8) I still rarely remain awake more than 1 hour at a time so it is hard to even watch movies, but I am glad the meds help take away the pain and I can just sleep through all of this.

9) Keep a list near your bed for things to do later, or just random things you don't want to forget.

Well, that is all for now. Hopefully something here will be found as useful to someone. Feel free to ask questions. Now I just can't wait for the scab to fall off as I hear that is the most painful part of this processes, along with missing Easter ham and spring break.

Good luck everyone!
Joe

A few things I forgot from before.

1) Buy a stool softener before the surgery and keep onhand as you may need it to counteract side effects of the antibiotic.

2) You will also want phone numbers onhand for your surgeon's nurse, the pharmacy, and a triage nurse.

3) Make sure to use your throat ice pack often! This helps a lot with the swelling.

4) Your food preferences may change as before bananas were best and now they are not because of food chunks getting stuck. Basically again keep a good variety as things are different for each person as well as how things change over time.

5) My tongue is sore (started mostly yesterday) which may also effect which foods you want to eat.

6) Popsicles at 3am work wonderful.

7) When you create your med chart, make sure it is userfriendly for you of whomever to know which are taken before/with/after food.

Here are just a few more things I missed from before:

1) Hearing for me was affected and basically my ears feel muffled a lot of the time and almost like there is fluid in my ears but this sounds like it is a somewhat common side effect for a surgery like this.

2) Something I learned the hard way the night of the surgery is you should have a barf bag ready for worst case. I had a trash can without a bag in it which worked, but this would have been so much easier yet if I planned better. The odds of getting sick at least once are fairly high, so just be prepared for it.

So far the recovery is more painless than I expected, but there were still some things I struggle with. The most difficult thing is feeling rested and normal but then it takes 5 minutes or less to feel exhausted.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Joe

It has been a week since my surgery and things are going well. I am struggling with the fact that the pain meds really limit what I can do as far as random errands but I also understand that recovery needs to be my top priority for now.

Even though I am still in pain, I can already tell that I will feel much improved when compared to before the surgery, once I am all healed up.

One thing that shocked me a little is due to the gross scabs I want to do salt water gargles or something and the nurse strongly advises against it. The taste and the smell is so gross I just want to get rid of these things! According the the average, they should be coming off any day now.

I have been able to eat way more than I thought I could. A couple days ago I even carefully ate a pizza! My suggestion is to try to eat like you did before as quickly as you can while thoroughly chewing all food and avoid anything salty/spicy or anything that might get stuck in your throat like milky stuff.

Here is an update and a few more tips.

I am now finishing up day number 10 since the surgery and day 9 was when i noticed the most significant improvements. I personally chose to do full doses and frequencies of the Percocet for the first 6-7 days, and then cut back a little for day 8 or so, and then the last couple days I took 1 tablespoon only once (right before going to sleep). The med does serve a dual purpose A) to take away the pain and B) to help you get lots and lots of sleep. However, once you can do without the meds and you can get yourself back onto a normal sleep schedule, I suggest being done with it. Today (day 10 after surgery) was the first day I held a normal sleep schedule for the most part, except for a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and I needed the Percocet last night to get to sleep.

I can see a lot of pink where it was white scabs before which is nice to see. Also the nasty smell and taste is almost completely gone now. I am almost finally done with any blood in my mucus and all of that fun stuff.

I did a few minor tasks around the house, and plan to gradually do a little more each day. However, I think I planned this right getting off of the meds first, then getting a normal sleep/awake schedule, and now gradually adding more tasks each day until I am ready to return to work on Friday.

Today I basically feel like I have a mild to moderate sore throat like when I am sick, and still somewhat easily fatigued and nothing more really.

Surprisingly, I was unable to do anything for reading for my class, but tomorrow I plan to resume reading. I finally feel like my head is clear enough to. I probably could have done a little reading on days 9 and for sure today on 10.

Random thing is I am confused how cold things (Gatorade that is real cold, ice cream, Popsicles) agitate my throat currently, but warm things feel good (soup, ramen). This also reinforces where you want to stock up on a variety of foods because your feelings change over the course of these 2 weeks; sometimes liking cold, other times not at all.

Oh yeah, the most painful thing now is when I Yawn! That still hurts quite a bit.