Is it O.K. if my son doesn't want to eat after having his tonsils and adnoids removed 5 days ago. Is vomiting normal? How long will he have a sore throat?

I am a 20 year old female on day 7 of post op...i had been vomiting at nights starting the 2nd night untill yesterday...finally called the ENT and i was re-admitted to the hospital for the day and was re-hydrated by IV, as well as perscribed new anti-nausea medication...WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I woke up today a new person, dont get me wrong there is still lots of pain, but i want to eat....and the nausea was my reason for not being able to eat/drink before which i was stressed is critical for healing. My advice, do not hesitate to call your ENT or return to the ER. Gravol didnt touch the nausea feeling before, this new medication has done wonders. My ENT specifically told me that he gets lots of calls for unbearable pain but not much for vomiting...your surgeon is there to help, stress the fact your son is vomiting and i would hope he would do the same as mine did!

In regards to how long his throat will be sore...i think a lot of it depends on the individual...if he is young im told children heal quicker...but im sure the vomiting is not helping the healing process one bit...like i said im on day 7..there is still pain but i feel its getting better fast now.

From all the information i've been giving, it is NOT ok for you son to not eat or drink after a tonsillectomy. I am 20 years old and on day 7 post op...i can tell you vomiting is NOT normal. I had vomiting every night starting on day 2 untill yesterday night. I had contacted my ENT and he informed me he does not recieve many calls regarding vomiting but lots regarding severe pain. He was very helpful. i was re-admitted for the day and re-hydrated by IV. I understand how hard it is to eat after such a brutal surgery...i felt i could eat/drink through the severe pain but not through the nausea. Eating and drinking is crucial to recovery and im so thankful i contacted my ENT...after being re-hydrated and given a perscription for anti-nausea medication (gravol did NOTHING) i woke up today feeling much much better....my advice to you, if u havent already done so, call you ENT or return to the ER. Stress the fact he is vomiting and hopefully he will have my luck and have a turn-around in his recovery after being treated.

In regards to how long his throat will be sore...i think a lot of it depends on the individual...i am told the younger the faster the recovery but vomiting and not eating would definately make the healing process more difficult as it did for myself..

Hopefully your son starts to feel better soon!

Vomitting isn't normal but can happen due to the type of medication your doctor gave him. On the bottle of the medication, it said that it caused dizziness or nausea..

But to reduce that problem, you should force your child to drink alot of fluid and eat a little bit of soft food like jello and popsicle or ice cream.

-----------------------------------------
EMT/Doctor to be

When I was 17 I had my tonsils out, and couldn't eat for two weeks - even icecream a week after the procedure made me vomit. Normally nothing will stop me from eating more than a day - even severe illness- but this did- even broth was to much to handle. It is normal to not want to eat for awhile after a tonsilectomy and to have nasuea and vomiting if you do. Hope this helps :-)

Oh my goodness. Who ever put not to drink after surgery needs to check his facts and sources. Dehydration can lead to all kinds of complications!!!! Vomiting and nasuea is not normal and could be caused from dehydration. They don't want to drink because it hurts and they are children so they avoid it. But they need to drink (water, juice, make slushes out of gatorade..anything that will rehydrate him).

As far as eating, offer it and try to get him to take some soft foods. My daughter ate macaroni and cheese the day after surgery but started to not want to eat the 3rd day and only ate a few bites of oatmeal and a couple popcycles. It seems like that is the worse day from what people who have had their out tell me. (smashed up and not made very think to prevent any mucus). If he's vomiting...you should really check with his dr. Dehydration is not something to mess with.

I had my tonsils taken out 11 days ago now. On day 5, I wasn't able to eat, drink or anything without vomiting. I was dehydrated and passed out from not receiving any liquids. I was admitted to the hospital and put on IV. It's critical for you to get your son to drink and if he can't, take him to the hospital ASAP!

I too am on day 11 and feel like I am dying, I feel so weak, I have eaten half of a baked sweet potato yesterday on day 10 but other than that I have been having major problems day one was OK as I was doped up on so much drugs all I did was sleep, day 2-3 was ok I was in pain but but I did manage to eat a couple of ice pops about 8 a day, day 4 I ate apple sauce in addition to some ice pops and then that night i through up, day 5 I through up that night too, day 6-10 i did not eat anything i was so scared and i still through up at night and all i did was drink water. my mom called the doctor on day 10 to schedule me an appointment and told them about the vomiting and they said its not good and i should start eating mashed potatoes and chopped baked chicken, so the next day I am going to try some homemade chicken soup smashed. I am just so HUNGRY, i already have a list of the foods i want when i can eat regular again. LOL i google the foods i want and just look at them like, uggh i can't wait until i can eat you again. first things up stew beef and broccoli, and pizza and wings from costco

**oh and on the 10th say i did see a little bit of blood in the vomit

You're not supposed to eat Apple Sauce, due to the Acid in it.

I had my tosils removed when I was seven. I did get sick many many times during the first 24 hours. it is normal but passes in a day or so

VomitIng isn't caused by dehydration... it CAUSES dehydration

You fon’t FORCE someone.