21 yr old son can't eat, is bloated vomiting, and now back pain. It has been going on for some time now and has had GI work and to no avail. Vomiting has stopped but still can't eat but one small meal a day, Has had stones in his urine a while back but not recently. Now back pain has started and can't walk without bad pain. Why if he can't eat hardly anything, is he not losing weight? He has even gained 4 pounds. Cindy Helene had his exact symptoms on this forum 3 years ago along with others but posted no diagnosis.  HELP!  He'd sure love to get back to work and get on with his life!

Where exactly is the back pain located? IN the lower or in the upper back? Bloating, together with vomiting and sharp pain in the upper back that gets worse especially after meals could point out to gallbladder problems, but that would be the one of things your son's GI specialists would look into. What tests has he had? Was he given any treatment?

lower back.  Drank that radioactive stuff and it appeared that everything was moving along as it should. Had an endoscopy and they told him that his stomach wasn't "grinding" the food up like it should.  Taking Erthomyicin. Thanks much, Wayne

Nope I was wrong, He's having middle to upper back pain. 

If they put him on the antibiotic, than they think it's some kind of an infection, but antibiotics themselves can cause nausea or problems with digestion. Has he taken all of the prescribed Erythromycin or is he still taking it? But it also could be that they put him on antibiotics to treat any possible stomach infection (H.pylori bacteria, for example can cause all the symptoms you have described in your first post). Did they give him any medication for stomach problems - like antacids?

He hasn't finished them yet but the only thing that has stopped is the vomiting. He saw the doctor today and Doc said to let them know if the pain is worse after eating.  Hafta see what happens.

Sounds like H.pylori infection - make sure he eats only mild and bland food at first, small portions, nothing at night. Hope he gets better soon, I really do, 'cause I've been there and I know how horrible it can be. Keep me posted on how he's doing and if I can help in any way, let me know!

You might have just hit the nail on the head. He spent three months in Peru and came back with Salmonella which seems to be gone now but this possibly was a secondary issue. Thanks much for your time and I'll get him on bland food and hope his back gets better as well.  Again Thank you!  Wayne

Yes, have them check for Hpylori, this stuff is nastiness and the treatment isn't much better. You mention they checked the gallbladder, did they actually do the HIDA scan with CCK to check the function or they just looked for blockages/stones/sludge?

Nope, they didn't check the gall bladder, that was Nickol's summation of his symptoms and I still am not dismissing that although the H.pylori sounds closer to a probability due to his third world travel history. They only checked for bacteria in the blood test, and were just looking for stomach intestine passage in the scan not gall bladder. Why what is the treatment for H.pylori?  That being said, he is back to work, his back pain has subsided and as long as he is careful with what he eats is back to resuming a somewhat normal life for now anyhow. I still don't think we are "out of the woods"

The treatment for H.Pylori is antibiotics combined with Prilosec or something similar (and he already did have antibiotics treatment). Nothing nasty there (as far as the treatment is concerned) and treatable. But, if back pain does come back (hopefully it won't), than other options, including gallbladder must be looked into (that is why doctor mentioned pains after eating - one of the signs among others, especially if the meal was heavy). But as I know from my own "case" - changing diet helps stomach to heal itself and with the treatment, so, it does takes some time, but let's hope this is a way towards better.