I have been having moderate to severe stomach problems for over a year now. I'm 21 and female. All of my symptoms came about suddenly and haven't gone away since they first began. I have lots of nausea, bloat and gas for most of the day, especially after I eat something fiberous like lettuce, or acidic like eggs, cooked tomato products (not raw tomatoes), citrus fruit or anything spicy. Meat, even fatty meat, doesn't seem to affect me as much.

About an hour after I begin sleeping, I wake up with a severe burning pain in what I think is the upper portion of my stomach( it feels like its on the sides of the upper part of my stomach), and extreme nausea, which gradually dissipates in about 20-40 minutes if I stand up and move around, leaving a raw throbbing feeling in my stomach when it does ultimately dissipate. I don't eat two to four hours before I go to bed, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. This happens 1-3 times a night, each consecutive flare-up being less severe until I can finally sleep for more than an hour. It also seems to be less severe when I lay on my right side, the left side of my stomach is the side that feels the most inflamed.

I also have nausea before and after I have a bowel movement, and about 10-20 minutes after a bowel movement my stomach begins to feel like its churning and hot and acidic, even if I haven't eaten anything in hours. I just recently started having fatty stools, though my stool has been normal-ish for the past year of all of this stuff going on up until today. I had a gastric emptying test done yesterday, so I'm not sure if the fatty stool is related to that.

Hiatal hernia's run in my family, as do ulcers. I have always had some mild gastrointestinal issues because my diet was poor and I ate too much, but I never vomited or felt nauseated in any way, shape or form until last year, even on the occasions when I had some heartburn.
This is what happened over a year ago: I tried to keep a mild fast with my Church for forty days after re-joining it a few months prior to the fast; the only thing I gave up for the fast was meat. About a week or so before the fast ended, we had a celebration day where we could eat fish, so my mother and I bought some swordfish steaks and grilled them. We both ate the fish and I felt no different than usual until later that night, when I suddenly had an extreme bout of nausea like I had never felt before and could not leave the kitchen sink for fear of vomiting. My mother had no symptoms. I thought I had gotten some kind of food poisoning or a flu, and assumed it would just go away; my family and I had all gotten a 24-hour flu a few months earlier that consisted of explosive vomiting for a day, and then it went away. That 24-hour flu marked the only time I can remember ever vomiting since I was a young child. I pretty much had a cast-iron stomach and could eat anything without any real problems, aside from burping, until the onset of this nausea illness.

Days passed, and I just got worse. I couldn't sleep and couldn't eat very much either. Even a small piece of well-chewed de-skinned cucumber would cause me to bloat and become nauseated. I couldn't lay down either, I had to sleep upright in a chair, because of the nausea. A few weeks into this, I was taken to the ER three days in a row because I felt like I was going to die from the exhaustion and inability to eat. They tested my gall bladder only, for stones and disease, but there was nothing wrong with it. So they gave me antacids, put me on an IV drip for dehydration, and sent me home.
I didn't have the strength or the money to do much of anything buy sit on a bed and try to sleep. Luckily, the next day I found some Greek strained yogurt (won't say the brand because I'm not sure I'm allowed to) in the fridge and decided to try to eat some, because liquefied food was about all I could handle. I rarely if ever ate yogurt prior to this. About an hour later, my symptoms were 70% better and the nausea had finally subsided for the first time since I had become ill.

Ever since then I have had to manage me symptoms be avoiding potent foods, eating mostly mild organic food, and downing containers of this yogurt all day. My symptoms are still getting worse though, even with the yogurt, especially the burning in my stomach. Since I've changed my diet to healthy foods, I usually don't have heart-burn at all, but my stomach itself still feels like its on fire. I was put on Nexium and then Prilosec for two months after seeing a nurse-practitioner, and they helped, but didn't fix the problem completely. They also gave me other side-effects. My symptoms are even worse than they were before I went on the meds.

So I've gotten some money scrapped together to go get some tests done; two h. pylori tests and a stomach emptying test. What do you think this might be if those come back negative, pancreatitus? Gall bladder? Some kind of swordfish-born bacteria or parasite, or maybe something entirely unrelated? Sorry, I know that was a really long story. Thanks for your input.

hi sorry to hear ur troubles i too have many of these symptoms years ago when it started i was treated for acid reflux ulcers etc but i had a colonoscopy and i was diagnosed with coilitis which affects the left side of ur bowel more than the right which is what u have described. eatin after long periods of abstination causes me to have a flare up. also many healthy foods veg fruit etc make it worse eatin little and often is the key for me also protein is tolorated v well with this condition so maybe this is why meat does not affect u to much. get ur tests done and see what they say good luck to you!

Hi illy, can you tell me a little more about living with colitis? What kinds of foods do you have to avoid? I'd like to knkow how ou're doing. Thanks!

i had that go to the doctors or parmacy and get the tablets cauled buscopan tablets and after talking one dont drink or eat for 30 mins ans just eat bannans

Hi I started having more or less the same problems a few months ago, and went to have some checks done too but doctors have not found anything wrong with my stomach. I kept on searching on the net hoping to find some answers and thankfully last night I stumbled upon an article about "LOW STOMACH ACID" which makes a lot of sense. I thought I have TOO MUCH acid in my stomach and that is causing all this discomfort ......  instead it might just be the opposite.  

Get well soon everyone !
Mia

I have the same symptoms... Did you ever get a diagnosis. I have had several tests run, but they all come back normal.

you may have parasites. try a parasite cleanse as well & see if symtoms disappear.

my dad had the same problem on and off for 2 years, then tha last time the pain didn't go away after a several check ups and ct scans he was diagnosed with pancreas cancer stage 3 so please do lots of scans and take it seriously as soon as you fill the pain

try pancreas ct scans