I'm wondering if it's normal to have a sore throat after heavy vomiting. There must have been excessive stomach acid coating the throat. can anything be done to relieve this? Will it just get better with time?

oh dude, i woke up after drinking massive amounts of beer and threw up all over the side of my bed against the wall. jesus i never threw up with such a burn before. the acid really burnt my throat badly and now a day later it doesnt hurt as much but i can still feel it. i know that bulimia is dangerous because of this acid and its ability to burn your throat hopefully this isnt permanent. but yea i never threw up so hard before. anyone know anything to ease our thoughts?

Like anyone, who is throwing up after taking too much alcohol, I can say that you are getting know with gastric juices. Generally, when you are vomiting, a mixture of some so-called half-digested food and gastric juices leaves your stomach and it is going all the way through your esophagus. The gastric juices ca definitely burn the lining of your throat, which also can lead to inflammation. That is the only reasonable explanation. It has happened to me so many times, but also, when I have too much alcohol, I am dealing with really huge chest pain after drinking alcohol. It can be really bad thing. 

well i went thru this fri night and now its sunday arvo and the pain in my throat's still there. have tried eating and drinking dairy stuff to ease the pain but still there. feel like my tonsils were about to come out, i never had it that bad before. i think going ot the docs would be the best remedy for this. or try yakult, it can do wonders for everything. im gona have to get some

so how is it? i had the same issue except i puked 3 times  

Yeah im going through the same thing for the second time. I probably vomited over 20 times just heaving stomache acid. And now my throat is severely burned especially when I consume citric acid or salty foods.

Dont mix alot of crown with vodka.

I might be stating the obvious here, but seems to me that one way around it is to not drink so much that you throw up. This has other advantages. E.g., you might avoid waking up in a public park wondering where your pants are.

you could have a throat ulcer

damn im glad i found this the same happened to me. the homie came by with a bottle of christian brothers brandy and we traded shots until it was done(im usually not this stupid) and i threw up violently and passed out and when i woke up my throat was sore as hell its 5 days since and it still hurts

Well, looks like we are all in the same boat. I also drank at an Xmas party until whenever cus I don't remember. Threw up all morning and my throat has been on fire for about three days. Worst part is when I try to eat. So far, I hear nothing but stories, which are fun to read, but does anyone have suggestions or is it just a matter of time. Doctor visit is worthless unless you have a real good one. They just tell you you're going to be fine, which is what they always tell me. I would not go if there was not something wrong, so I hate when they tell me that I am ok. For example, I went for back pain I have dealt with for years and they told me I have nothing wrong, so i guess I am just supposed to be in pain. Oh well, what doesnt kill me makes simply makes me stranger.

hey guys/girls......

well yea vomiting especially as much as some of you have is not good for your throad and is gonna burn like sh*t.... this is due to the harsh stomac acid comming in contact with your throat and burning the surface cells exposing nerves. try drinking half and half.... thatusually helps a lot. otherwise milk of magnesia or peptobismal should also offer reliffe.

until your throat heals avoid eating acidic/salty foods as they will continue to damage your throat and cause pain. the lining of your stomach has a protective coating on it to allow it to handle the harsh stomach acid without causing damage however your throat does not. :-)

omg i know it hurts rite undrneith your chest omg i drank a 2 litter of ginger ail sips not cold but room temp and tried forcing down the white bread i formed little bread ball and forced em down so at least it could soak up the acid and i had something to throw it up with ughhh glad i dont drink anymore it was worse when i had mixed drinks with orange juice ughhhh

So I found this thread, i have similar symptoms.
last sunday i drank way too much gin, and spent monday vomiting, at least 20 times, i literally lost count. My hangover wasn't gone till i woke up tuesday morning. Wednesday my upper chest still hurt from heaving, and my throat was sore and my voice was lower, etc. Thursday I went to Buffalo Wild Wings, and despite my throat still being a little sore, had the very hottest sauces on my wings. My throat hurt a little worse thursday night, and friday about the same till later friday night, and that night i had trouble sleeping from the pain. Saturday it hurt even worse, i drank a lot of coffee and leftover tom & jerry's from xmas (like eggnog, i had them non-alcoholic) because war, stuff calmed it. I'm also on dayquil/nyquil now, and pounding through the ricola.
this morning its as bad as yesterday, it hurts to talk.
I'm wondering if i burned the back of my throat with the stomach acid AND the hot sauce, or if I have an infection from shoving my fingers down my throat to get the booze out of my system when i was vomiting so much.

Thanks so much,
Jay

I recently went through this horrible horrible thing too. I drank way too much on new years and vomitted close to 15 times. I ended up in emergency due to the pain in my mouth. I chemically burnt the roof of my mouth with the acid from the vomitt. The doctor precribed several different things...mouth rince, a paste to put on the sores, and also tylonal 3 with codine. They all help with the pain temporarly but it still feels the same as it did 3 days ago. I highly reccomend seeing a doctor if the pain is still present after a few days.

Here's the deal: if you can and want to go to a doctor, awesome.

If not, get some Chloraseptic MAX (MAX has Glicerin). The acid burns won't go away for a few days. Each day gets better than the previous. For the first day or two, DON'T EAT ANYTHING! Not even a plain scrambled egg. Your throat will inflame INSTANTLY. The only thing for it is to drink water or milk.

You will be hungry, but just think about how awful you feel NOW at next happy hour. Trust me.

The acid-burnt throat will most likely trigger a small nasal drip sore throat (by then, it's welcome!), most likely due to your immune system taking a hit through all this.

Foods to avoid while healing: ANYTHING pasty (bread, peanut butter), spicy (obviously), marinara, and/or anything that requires lots of chewing and swallowing. After a couple days, try foods that go down easy like mac and cheese (no sharp cheese. The blander, the better.)

As your throat and mouth heal, they will itch a little, but the Chloraseptic helps. It's also good not to talk much (except to apologize for whatever happened while drunk).

My credentials? 32 year-old Scotch-Irish heritage now living in New Orleans for the past 8 years. My favorite drink is Chatrueuse.