Alright... so it's winter now, yeah, but summer will roll around again pretty soon really and I just came across this mention that it's necessary to remove sunscreen at night (OK a friend said it...). Course I remove makeup and wash my face at night yeah, so that bit is taken care of, but what about the rest of the body? Me, I'm in the habit of showering every morning and every morning only, you know? It makes me feel clean and awake in the morning. Water conservation and all that, I don't really wanna take two showers a day. So my question is, yeah, is it really necessary to remove sunscreen at night? And WHY? And even more relevant, HOW, if you're not gonna be taking a shower?

Celebrity

Interesting question!

Though the active ingredients in any sunscreen stop working after a while when they are exposed to sunlight (which is why you are told to apply it every few hours if you go out in the sun), the cream itself just stays on your skin. It needs to be removed, like any lotion or moisturizer you put on your body. That's because dirt particles will cling to it, making your skin more prone to impurities, and it can also affect the absorption of any product you apply to your skin for night time care. 

I do think, when you're talking about the whole body, having a shower is the best option here. Having said that, I personally do not apply sunscreen to my whole body unless I expose it all, so at the beach or at an outdoor pool. Olive oil or an oil based cleanser really do a good job at removing sunscreen. For your face, a cleanser with almond oil will do the trick. They need to be washed off with water, after which you can apply any other care product you are using. 

I hope that makes sense. This is not something we usually think about, so it is great that you are mentioning it.

Rosie

Alright, that makes sense then... I guess I hadn't thought of it like that now you mention it. I guess stuff sticks to the sunscreen, yeah, you probably have a point there. I gotta say though that I never had trouble after leaving it on all night, which living where I do yeah, we don't get a lot of sun here so it's mainly for holidays that I'm talking about. Though I was planning on using it anyway 'cause I think I read somewhere that UV rays go through clothes too, yeah? Know anything about that perhaps? Everyone seems to be all about sunscreen all day every day even in winter nowadays.

Am I the only person who has simply never heard of this before? Of course when I use a moisturizer with a sun protection factor, I will remove it at night — removing my makeup and cleansing my face is part of my normal routine. Most nights I also take a quick shower, but if I'm using sunscreen it's just to feel fresh and not specifically to get rid of the sunscreen.

I now have another question, because someone mentioned oil to remove sunscreen. Does just using normal shower gel not get rid of sunscreen residue then? Surely it does??? Or is it the body equivalent of stubborn waterproof makeup?

Interesting. Just another thing I didn't know before. I'd appreciate it if someone could answer my question.

People, what happened to a good old fashioned WASH with some soapy water and a washcloth? Works perfect for me most of the time. I only have a shower every two to three days, when I wash my hair, because water conservation is a very important thing. Anyway, that is a whole other topic. But you can easily and effectively remove most things from your skin by just using soapy water and a cloth! I am sure sunscreen falls into that category too. And about that, yes, of course it needs to be removed. Letting cosmetics accumulate on your skin is just dirty.

I can answer that question!!!

It isn't as much of a problem of you use normal suncreen, but if you use mineral sunscreen AKA sunblock, that stuff works really well but also sticks to your skin like crazy. In this case, you really need oil to remove it properly. Clinique's Take The Day Off cleanser is one oil based cleanser that does a really good job. You can use any oil of course, but then you will need to cleanse with soap afterwards to get the residue of oil off. Skincare can be complicated...

Ah, I understand now... I think. I mean, I am still not sure why that takes oil to clean, but I do understand that we're talking about a different kettle of fish here and that it needs a different way of cleaning to come off completely. Mind you, I still don't know what the real difference between sunscreen and sunblock is. I suppose asking someone to explain that as well is too much? If you could, that would be great, anyway.

Who knew that sunscreen could be so awfully complicated, LOL? What I do is go to Boots and buy whatever I fancy... usually make sure not to buy the very cheapest thing around 'cause I do assume stuff that's a little more pricey works better, could be wrong there too but that's what I do. I got no idea, not a clue, what kind of sunscreen I use though. I do try to go for higher sun protection factors. So that makes me wanna ask... what's the best sunscreen then? Don't be too general please 'cause I won't understand the difference. Just recommend a specific product if you could, pretty please?