I can hold my larnyx by thumb and forefinger and move it around and it "clicks" like broken bones rubbing together. When I swallow during my sleep, it clicks and hurts. It has been this way for several weeks but I have no signs of infection. I am 52 - is this age related?

i have symptoms similar to this. it feels like a sore throat but not inside. i am only 18. but, i am having problems with my wisdom teeth coming in too, could this be related? when i swallow, i can hear a lot in my ears. i think this may be due to the teeth, but i don't know.

I paydel and concerned. Have either of you received more information about your condition? I'm 29 and started having "clicking" when swallowing when I was 17. It was very painful for a couple of weeks and I dreaded swallowing. My mom took me to the doctor for a check-up, he couldn't find anything wrong, but sent me to have a barium x-ray anyway. They watched what was happening when I swallowed and, also, concluded nothing was wrong. The intensity of the pain eventually dulled, but that clicking never went away. Just recently, it began clicking in a new spot and the pain's back.

Sorry, I'm not much help here, but am also seeking answers.

Im 16 and it happens to me quite alot. Its really bothering me and I dont know what to do, all I know is that if I lean my head back, it doesn't happen.

I'm 13 and it started to happen yesterday. Please help.

I've had it before, but only for like a day, the clicking in my throat started about a week ago now, and my throat is starting to feel tight around night times as-well! I really would like some answers to this because it's painful and irritating!

Jade (14 years old) xox

i have the same issue. I have found a little bit of an answer and will probably take it to my doctor.

taken from wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globus_pharyngis

A less common cause, distinguished by a "lump in the throat" accompanied with clicking sensation and considerable pain when swallowing, may be due to thyroid-cartilage rubbing against anomalous asymmetrical laryngeal anatomy e.g. the superior cornu abrading against the thyroid lamina,[4][5] surgically trimming the offending thyroid-cartilage provides immediate relief in all cases.[1] However this cause is frequently misdiagnosed, despite requiring a simple clinical examination involving careful palpation of the neck side to side which elicits the same click sensation (laryngeal crepitus) and pain as when swallowing, most cases are due to prior trauma to the neck.[1] High resolution computed tomographic (CT) or MRI scan of the larynx is usually required to fully understand the anomalous laryngeal anatomy. Anterior displacement the thyroid ala on the affected side while swallowing can help resolve symptoms.

Did anyone get answers to this. I've been having this for 3months now

Hi did anyone get a diagnosis. I too can move my cartilage from side to side. It also clicks when I swallow. And ive been in pain help....

I'm having the same symptoms. I just tried moving my head back and wow! You're right!

Me too!! So weird. Hoping it's just a natural thing. I'm quite lanky so I wonder if it's misplacement. Going to doctors and hoping for physio referral. Fingers crossed. All I recommend to all is go to the doctors ASAP, Better safe than sorry.

I have not had any improvement in the clicking. However last Nov 2014, I had a parathyroid tumor removed. There are 4 parathyroid glands that are on the thyroid itself....however they do not share any function with the thyroid. (the area is parallel to the clicking area) They regulate calcium in your blood, Essentially what happened was that one of the glands grew from it's size of a grain of rice to a 1 oz big tumor. It was sucking the calcium out of my bones.....sent the calcium out into my bloodstream. The Dr did not think there was a correlation, but I still have my doubts....The tumor was benign, but I have to keep doing follow-ups. I hope you guys find an answer......for now I am just hoping it is just a natural occurrence due to the flexibility of cartilage.

When I tip my head back it doesn't help at all somebody help

I been having a popping in my throat and i can move the cartilage side to side but i never had any pain just a pop noise, i recently got bronchitis and i got over it but my throat is still popping and able to move side to side. any answers ?? __ Lisaa

Hi I'm 14 years old So the weird things is I can move my whole throat I don't hear any clicking though is this related to this subject