I've been told I have bone-on-bone in my right hip and I need surgery. I'm 61 and overweight and very concerned about ANY surgery as well as recovery experiences after. I don't know what is normal and what is not. Also, where to look for any other alternatives, where to find a good, successful surgeon in Southern California, etc. Can anyone help?

Aloha Hip Mister:

I had a THR 3 yrs ago this June.....ie june 6,06 @ 6AM!! yeps :( But as it turned out all is just marvelous! I do advise getting your hip replaced or a part of it pending what your surgeon suggests.....

I had mine done in the VA hospital with STANFORD HOSPIAL SURGEONS......I SPOKE WITH 2 OF THEM AND IN MY VIEW THEY WERE BOTH ALSOME!! Young , friendly, and know their jobs well.....I totally recommend them:)

It will take about a full yr to recover and the first 2 mths you are almost helpless:(
You will need to use your butt pillow for the first yr...ps I still use mine cause its just so so comfortable to sleep with!:)
I also love having a higher lou ie toilet...ezier to sit and do the do...:)

My pain was a 7+ to just walk less than 20 steps:(

My life now has imporved so so much I cant say enough how great a job those guys did!!

I also in my view/exp recommend ...ANDREWS LESSMAN NATURAL HERBAL......CALCIUM/GLUCOSAMINE FOR YOUR JOINTS/BONES/SKELOTON.......HAS NO FILLERS ....100+ 3-4 STAR CUSTOMER PICK REVIEWS.

best excerise....WALK WALK WALK.......:) DRINK LOTS OF H20....LUBS THE JOINTS......LIKE OIL IN A CAR.....

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND OTHERS WHO ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBS......:)

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!

ALOHA

THE MARVELOUS MARILYN

*** edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I had total hip replacement 2 weeks ago on left hip. Just 6 months after knee replacement on right knee. It went extremely well. I've been active walking since the surgery and no pain pills needed since leaving hospital. I was discharged a day early because I did so well. I am overweight obese but was an athlete and in good shape before these injuries. I am 54 yrs old. The pain before the surgery was worse than the surgery. I have Dr. Yong Kwon from Kaiser in San Diego. He's the greatest surgeon ever in and my opinion. There is stiffness and soreness from too much activity and some pain if I move hip at the wrong angle such as crossing legs! If you have bone on bone there are no alternatives. I tried everything from acupuncture to tens units. I am ready to ride bicycle! But please note I am a tough chick and Inhave a pretty high pain tolerance! after the brutal knee replacement the hip was a piece of cake!!