My husband had grafting of the hip socket in revision hip replacement. Doctor said that is necessary. I really don’t understand why. Does it mean that his hip replacement surgery failed? Please, can anyone explain me this. I am worried wife.

All hip replacements surgery can be said to 'fail' eventually if they have been in place for a sufficiently long time and a successful hip replacement is one which has functioned well and without pain for the expected length of time. Therefore it is necessary after grafting to protect the inserted bone graft from weight-bearing for a certain period until it is mechanically able to cope with weight-bearing stresses. He may be instructed to remain non-weight bearing for periods such as three months which is hard work as no weight is allowed through the operated leg while the graft grows into solid bone and Even after revision he may never be able to walk completely normally and may always have a limp.

If he did not enough bone, then they will graft in bone (from bone bank). I had this after a 3rd revision. It takes min. of 3 months non weight bearing to heal, but mine lasted for 9 years. I was, however on a cane permanently due to lack of bone for the ligaments to attach to and damage from the cage. I have just had a 4th, awaiting the 'results' (4 weeks to go before weight bearing). Hope this helps. Val