Anyone out there have their spouse/SO on the South Beach diet? My wife says she is starting the diet today and I am a little concerned about the diet's emphasis on lack of "bad" carbs. I LIKE BAD CARBS! Things like pasta and bread.

Anyone have any experience on trying to eat pasta and bread, etc. when their spouse/SO being on this diet?

If so, any suggestions? (Other than eat your bread in the closet.)

:1:

The wife buys every diet book, magazine and video ever made. I told her if she just carried them around she would get a great workout. I just got the look

She is now on the SB diet. Apparently it still allows tons of ice cream. Since she only cooks about once a week, I usually make what I want.

I don't know squat about the South Beach Diet except for what I just read here :: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

It sounds like a spin-off of the Atkins diet to me.

FWIW - I guess I'm on the Pritikin diet. That pretty closely matches what I eat.

I'm on the Adkin's Diet, which sounds very close to the SB diet. I still cook pasta, have bread and carbs for the kids to eat at meals. What I usually do is have a meat (something I'll have prepared already...I grill/cook tons of chicken breast) and then join the rest of the gang with any veges served. Always a salad. I just skip the carbs.

It works for me. My husband has taken up Adkins too.

I'm starting stray from it due to needing more carbs in my system to withstand longer runs. I was finding myself fading out during them. Initially I restricted the carb consumption due to my inability to stop eating all the junk food out there. Now I rarely crave the junk and I eat the good carbs that you should. It's nice to have a control on it.

That's just my view.

So you can have the "bad" carbs sitting at the table and still not eat them? That is will power. I hope my wife has the same, cause I do love my pasta.
Glad to hear that the Atkins diet is working out for you.

The first week is usually very hard to get through. Once you rid your system of all the carbs, you really don't crave them. However, there's a huge increase of protein and that makes you feel full much longer. That's just how I was. Let her get through that first week or so...
Make sure the good carbs are consumed through veges and fruits. You need those to keep your system moving and to stay healthy. She needs to drink tons of water as well.
Like I said before, I had to give up all the junky carbs:
french fries
chips
chocolate
candy
sugar, sugar, sugar
I occasionally eat pasta and bread. I was never a big pasta...rice...bread person in the first place. I still struggle with not getting to eat pizza; however, the payoff is fine with me. If I started drinking water more and cut off the Diet Coke's, I'd probably lose 10 more pounds easily. It's the one thing I still do that I need to rid myself of.
Let me know how she does.
I've dropped close to 30 pounds since January.