Okay so I am 18 years old, I weigh 170 and I am about 5'5'' . I started a "counting calories" diet over a month ago. I allow myself 1,226 calories a day and I have been using an app on my ipod to keep track of counting my calories. I have been eating healthier (well I think) Gronola bar for breakfast, 1 cup of rice for lunch usually (about 270 calories), and supper varies. I was exercising some but I quit because I got bored of it. I lost 8.8 pounds an got to 166.2 pound. But this past week i have gained a few pound back which puts me at 170, I started at 175.

I was just wondering if anybody had any good dieting plans that worked? I want to lose weight for prom. Prom is April 2, and when I started to diet I was hoping to weigh 140 by prom, but I know thats not going to happen now. I would be happy with a weight of 145-150. I feel like I have a real big "pooch" on my lower stomach that sticks out that you can really notice when I am in a dress or certain clothes. I am pretty self conscious and losing weight means a lot to me. Can anyone help me? Any ideas? or tips? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Exercise and a health, steathy diet is a great way. Also swimming is a great way to stay in shape.

I’m afraid that counting calories alone is not going to be enough, that you have seen for yourself – the weight just comes back. I know that exercise is boring, but if your problem is mainly the stomach than whether you like it or not you will need to commit yourself to specifically abs related exercise. That way you will strengthen your abdominal muscles an even if you do have a few pounds more than you originally planned at least you will be in shape and your “pooch” definitely will straighten up. Besides, eating only Granola and rice will get your health to the very low point – why cause additional problems for yourself when all you need to achieve your goal is a little bit of extra willpower. We all do things we don’t like and that are boring… that’s just the way life is.

Sounds like your calorie counting diet has backfired (and they often do). It's been a year since you posted - so I do hope you were able to reach your goal and have a fantastic prom.

In the future - when you go to lose weight - keep in mind that you need to consume enough of the right kind of calories to fuel your metabolism and give you enough energy to be active enough to burn fat. A nutrient free diet - no matter how few calories you consume - will help you only to lose muscle tissue, not fat. So you get skinnier - slower - but stay flabby (how fun is that!).

A good "diet" for fast weight loss - one that I've used throughout my life (and isn't in any book or website) - is simply to go 2 to 3 weeks on a cleansing fast. I do mine without any supplements. I cut out all meat, dairy and sugar - eating only fruits, veg, nuts, soya and non-leavened flour products (like whole wheat pasta, flat pita bread, etc). Almost anyone can do this for a couple weeks.

When you come off a cleansing fast - you reintroduce healthy foods into your diet (ie: no fast foods, no fried or deepfried, no high-sugar and very few processed foods). Over the course of a month you can lose a considerable amount of weight. Many people also find they have more energy and a better ability to make smart food choices.

1,200 calories is not enough. I see that your diet consists mainly of carbs, and you should be trying to avoid carbs. Try this trick: Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a peasant. This means that you eat a large breakfast, a medium sized lunch, and a small dinner. This way you have energy throughout the day (for better workouts) and you should ALWAYS eat a small dinner. If you eat a large dinner, that food just sits in your stomach while you sleep and turns into fat. It is bad to skip breakfast, but not bad to skip dinner, if you MUST skip a meal. I recommend following this idea, as well as daily exercise.

Also, carbs and sugar are what make you fat, not fat. Your body needs fat and oil, just in moderation. You need fat to burn fat. While too much of it DOES make you fat, too little has bad health effects that result in weight gain. You should avoid carbs like white rice (one of the worst ones) and switch to whole wheat bread or brown rice. In fact, even better carbs than that are fruits and vegetables (especially leafy green vegetables like kale, spinash, and swiss chard), which you should start adding a lot of into your diet as they are low in calories yet make you feel fuller. Try eating more fish and chicken, those are both great for you and help with weight loss. An easy meal/snack would be a can of tuna and an apple or other piece of fruit: high in protein, low in carbs.

So as a recap, the main things that will help you are:

1. Bigger breakfasts, tiny dinners

2. Better carbs and less of them (more fruits and vegetables, less rice, more fish and chicken instead)