No, it's just damaged neural pathways. I have seizures when the nightmarish de ja vu becomes really intense. The ultimate reality is the brain is complex as sh*t and prone to failure.

Obsidian I could not have explained what happens to me any better.  You are so right.  I thought I was losing my mind.  I might point out that I have never done any drugs or smoked in my life.  I am 36 but this intense feeling I get has been happening to me since I can remember when I was 8, 9 or 10 years old.

It happened today while I was watching the news.  I knew exactely what the person was going to say before she did.  I go into a semi-trace state where I can't divert my attention to anything else until it dissipates.  I can't breethe at all, which is where I think I get the headaches. It is like you get totally stunned  It is such and intense feeling and I feel like I am going to be ridiculed if I tell anyone especially my doctor!

I also get sleep paralysis where I cannot moving and inch andam fully conscious of my surroundings.  My breathing going absolutely bonkers like I am weight-lifting.  I am totally awake and can't call out to anyone.  This happens a couple of times a year without fail.

Something odd also to note.  I never feel like I am alone.  I am not saying I am possessed but something is not right with me not the property I live in.  I am convinced this house is haunted but my wife thinks otherwise.  I know the property we moved from WAS and my son was getting really freaked out.  I saw a world renowned pyschic Silvia Simms when she was alive and she immediately said there was a tall spirit with me in the room when I walked in.  My grand dad was a very tall man?  I have read that these episodes are not coincidental and do occur with ghosts trying to contact you.  I am very sane and quite in control of my facalties.

I have one of these episodes when I worked for IBM at North Harbour in Portsmouth around 1998/99 - I heard the voice as clear as someone sat next to me and I was in this trace like state when I get this Deja Vu!  He told me to ask a girl I had started work with some questions.  I thought it was a odd thing to do, but plucked up the courage to ask her .  I had never met this girl before whatsoever.  I was told to ask "does you brother work in Bedhampton" which is 5 miles from Portsmouth, she said "yes"  I said I had been told "he needs you" which was cryptic!? she was very worried and enquired how I knew him or why I had said it and that I was scaring her.  I was given a description of his car? why his car? but the words I blurrted out and it wasn't the most common car in the most common paint scheme ever you could every imagine or dream up.  I said to her "I can see a Ford Fiesta MK1" and she said "yehhhh? what colour?" because I was right! she thought I could not possibly know and I had moved down from London to Portsmouth to take this job and didn't know anyone (and well before the days of Facebook) I told her cringing " it is painted in grey primer!" she was not happy one little bit! she ran out crying and the manager ran in red faced.  I don not know what the hell it was?  But this whole thing is linked it has to be.

Anyway thanks for reading

i have deja vu all the time and it kinda seems like i will have a dream about something and then ill experiance it and it feels so weird. I also have anxiety and after i experience it ill feel a little woozy and ill have to lay down for a while then ill go for a jog and ill calm down. But ive done a lot of research on Deja vu and its a normal event that at least 80% of US citezens experience it once in there lives. It is caused by a chemical unbalance in the brain is what my doctor says but it actually feels as if ive actually been there or did it before. Its crazy but i kinda feel like im pysic..8-|

talk to your doctor, sounds like anxiety disorder.

I cant help, but I can relate to 100% to your thoughts and experience, I share them all...

I want answers too...

My guess is that you have found answers by now. I thought I was having anxiety attacks for over 18 years & was finally diagnosed with simple & complex left temperal lobe partial seizures and also grand mal.(Epilepsy) I too would not be able to make sense of what the person talking to me was saying,nor could say anything, I would get this OVERWHELMING feeling of doom & gloom at the pit of my stomach, have visions that came in & out; puppies in the barn growing up, a toy wagon, etc., but could never remember anything else after the seizure was over in about a minute. I would feel spent for a few minutes, then would be over it. I wish I would have come across information lilke this years ago so I could have been diagnosed much earlier! Medication has me totally under control Hope you are doing well.

Obsidian wrote:

My best friend often has a similar feeling, and for years. she has pain associated with it, and your story sounds the most similar, she has no memory after of why she had the feeling, or even what happened sometimes, and feels super drained following. If you have learned anything since your post, please, message me  ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use

(When it starts, I feel it coming and try and concentrate so I can remember after it subsides. To me, it feels like I have been dreaming what I see for some time, and then the universe aligns and I have a moment of clarity and understanding. I recognize the people/things/places involved and it all makes sense, I know who they are and where and understand what is going on... Unfortunately once it subsides, to this day I have not been able to grasp any memory of the details that seemed so clear only seconds before. As much as i have tried, I still have no clear picture of what I have seen.

Another thing is that what I see (mostly in my mind) when it is happening, has absolutely nothing to do with what I am currently doing or seeing at the time. As stated above, what I see, seems to me to come from a dream that I have had. I think this is part of the glazing over as it happens that many of you mention, because I am seeing something that is not there.)

...........You are describing the exact same experience I had while having my simple & complex seizures, which have been happening over the past 18 years or so, I had thought they were anxiety attacks.......they are not. Who knew seizures could be this way??
During one of the seizures I forced myself to write down the things (dream-like) that were fading in & out of my mind, like a movie, or memory playing back. They were very pleasant things from my childhood mostly, and I pushed myself through the barrier of wanting to remain frozen while I endured these attacks as they were the most morbid feelings one could experience, and wrote down what I was envisioning, even with the morbid feelings, the memories were wonderful ones of childhood. The doctor explained the confusion that goes on in the brain while having a seizure and that maybe with the horrible feelings I was having, it brought back visions of good things that had happened in my life to combat the horrible feelings I was experiencing during the seizure. I can only remember seeing puppies in our barn and a little wagon, all the other things I forced myself to write down as I was envisioning them made ABSOLTULEY NO SENSE to me when the seizure was over, I could remember absolutely NOTHING that I had envisioned. SO STRANGE.   One day I was talking to my grandmother when one hit.  I could hear her voice, make out whether she was talking about something positve or negative, but had no ability in understanding her words.  Shestopped  talking and I could tell she was waiting for a reply from me, but I was still in the seizure so I had no idea how to reply, then finally, I began to speak, and she looked at me with such a look of confusion and concern over what had come out of my mouth.  I think it was just a garbled mess of words that made no sense.  I finally came out of the seizure, knew I hadn't made sense, then laughed & said I didn't know what I was talking about & tried to act like nothing was amiss.  My seizures came at times of stress, and I could have as few as 2 - 3 in a month, or 14 - 16 in a month. Now that I'm on medication, I have had 0. !! They escalated into grand mal seizures and those were the ones that brought the truth to light and the doctors finally made sense of my 'anxiety attacks'. I bit 1/2 way through the side of my tongue while sleeping one night, and that was the beginning of finding answers. I would definately say you are describing partial seizures. Mine never turned into something that felt wonderful, though that is very common, mine were very morbid feeling and awful. I'm thankful for this site, and hope it brings revelations to others so they can be diagnosed much quicker then I was. ; )

I've had that too, in mine though I feel like I have to throw up. it started the day I witnessed my boyfriend get arrested and I really thought I was going crazy. But when I saw everyone on here I know I'm not, thank you everyone! And also the best thing I can do is let my boyfriend hold me. it helps relax me and make the attack leave faster, if I'm alone I take a deep breath. Be safe, and take care!

I just recently had an "extreme dejavu" episode. But i truely believe its more then being "sick" or "stressed" They say you have more then One hundred dreams a night every time you fall asleep. But you never remember them. It starts to make you wonder why you never remember your own dreams. Well maybe its for our own good. I think you truely know yourself whats going to happen tomorow or the next day or even threw the next year but you never realize it. But some poeple may be more " in tune" with themselves and can actually remember that youve seen your situation before. You feel like youve byn there or that your repeating the exact same day. My "episode" was so extreme that i felt like i was repeating the same day over and over and over again. It was ridiculous because the people who were involved in my days didnt realize it. But they would say the exact same things they said the day before. It was actually quite terrifying. And then i finally realized that there had to be more to this . I realized that what i was seeing and what i was saying I KNOW for a fact thats ive seen it all before. You get hot dizzy and you understand whats going on around you but it is extremely hard to talk. My "episode" recently i think was a lesson. I had to make a choice and i made it right then and there. But i would flashbacks to were i saw the scene before and i finally realized i was dreaming about it. Because as soon as i ende dup in the actual situation it felt as though it was my millionth time repeating it. But as i got these "flashbacks" i started seeing more. More stuff that hadnt happened. That i hope and pray will. Because if everything else i dreampt happened so far, why wouldnt anything else i saw happen in the future right? I dont know it sounds crazy but MAYBE if you relax yourself in one of your "episodes" You could find out so much more. More then anyone else knows. I find myself repeatedly thinking i am so lucky. I am sooooooo lucky to be able to walk into a room and sometimes already know whats going to happen. If you relax yourself durring those moments you might just find out more. Doctors say your fine welll then i think your fine. Your just luckky. Try it a few times and give me feedback on how it works out,.

-Hannah

I was the exact same as you I've had extreme déjà vu but I feel sick after mine then so tired I was so embarrassed to go to docs I've had this for 2 years but it started getting worse .i had the déjà vu thing when I was on my way shopping to Asda :) next minute I had the deva vu then after it I didn't have a clue where Asda was lasted for about a minute then it came bck to me tht really scared me so I aventually went to docs and she told me it sounds like epilepsy . Tht was the worse 1 I have had normally it just the déjà vu feel then tired but as time goes on it getting worse .dont be embarrassed as soon as you tell the docs you will be relieved they have heard these symptoms before. Gd luck xx

Thank goodness I found this. I am 44 and I've been having these attacks since my late teens. It's usually something I've dreamed for example; walking from the elevator to my apartment, I would have been doing this in that dream and then doing it for real would set it off. I've talked to my doctor and other mental heath professionals and they said they have never heard of anything like it. However I've noticed that after being diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and using a cpap machine the attacks have gone from almost every other day to at times almost never. If anyone has any similar stories I would love to hear back from you. I just can't get over all the posts on this. I honestly felt "alone" with this problem.

Wow! As so many other's have said, "IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!" Mine started as a teen. I've never done any drugs or smoked. Had my first glass of wine a year ago and nit another drop since. I'm 32 now.  I've read through all 8 pages on this. I do notice a lot of people seem to start this during adolescence. I experience the same intense dejavu, and fear coupled with the cold chill in the stomach, and what one person said was a weird *smell* in my nose. I've not seen anyone mention a strange metal taste in their mouth? Mine last for maybe a minute. And then a headache after sometimes.  They can sometimes come many in a day... I've had 4 this morning, sometimes occurring at night. And sometimes I can go months with no problems. They a always triggered my something mundane, washing the dishes, simple conversation, listening to the kids talk. My husband thinks I'm nuts, LOL, the only other person that knows about them is my Mom. The seizure thing sounds incredibly scary.

Wow I can not believe how much I can relate to all this. It is so hard to live like this it is almost impossible to live a normal lifestyle . I get an extreme sense of deja vu, followed by hot flashes major headaches fatigue and even chills. Sometimes I feel detached from the world and I don't want anything to do with nothing. It's so bad so frustrating. I've been put on Zoloft and Xanax. They don't help :(

I thought the seizure thing would be scary too, but that's what I was finally diagnosed as having after 18 - 20 years. They were simple & complex partial seizures. The horrible fear in the pit of my stomach was the worst feeling I have ever experienced, and after the first day on medication almost 1 year ago, I have had NONE. They would come randomly, and especially when life was more stressful, and I too could be simply talking to someone when one would hit, and last for about a minute. I searched & searched the internet for answers but never came across the right site. It will be worth seeing a Neurologist about it. Don't be afraid to! : )