Hello everyone! I'm from germany and some days ago I found this page. I also have these deja vu experiences. Does anyone know what the f*** that is? I've had a brain scan and an EEG, but they found nothing abnormal...

i just wanted to say that almost everything you lot have described is exactly what has been happening to me. im 29 female never done drugs, dont drink. they first started when i was about 13/14 years old. i would feel like i was remebering a dream and would always hear the same music and see the same images (a stage with a red curtain or me waiting on a balcony) i would feel extremely nauseous and then would have a headache for the rest of the day. at that time i was getting them practically everyday, mainly in the morning. then they just dissapeared. i put it down to puberty, and was just glad it was over. over the following years i got them once a year if that. no particular trigger or stressful times. but this week they have come back, and i am absolutely terrified. not only do they make me feel so ill, but im left feeling really isolated and down...i dont understand how something in my mind can affect me physically so badly! i've suffered in silence for so long, had no idea others were experiencing almost identical symptoms to mine. its like im 13 again i hate it. the only thing that has changed is what i see (this time a cave..and i hear a piano) has anyone come any closer to finding out why this is happening?? please dnt just put it down to the effects of drugs and alcohol, i've never dealt with either and yet here i am.

I am so glad to find a website like this. I'm 21 and started getting these episodes about 4 months ago. First I got one in the middle of the night, then had a severe one/panic attack when I had a marijuana edible (saw a psychologist who thinks this is what started all of it, but its nice seeing that some of you don't smoke and still have these problems. I've smoked since and been fine although I choose not to anymore out of fear of having an episode when I'm high). For about a week after the weed experience I was getting them, but then they were gone for a few months and are back again. But its the same thing. It starts with a massive feeling of deja vu usually associated with an image or sound that suddenly pops in my mind. Generally I can recall the images too, but none make any sense. They're of a desolate landscape, a hotel I've never been to, a child drowning, or whatever. Sometimes I wonder if they are indeed memories from when I was a young child or even dreams I've had. The deja vu I get is often associated with feeling like I did as a child. Sometimes I wonder if I got these feelings when I was very young and have since forgotten.

The difference with me is that the feeling itself doesn't seem to be preventable from coming on, and it's hard to tell when it ends. While the severe deja vu associated with the image usually doesn't last long, I end up having deja vu for all of my surroundings usually for the rest of the day. And they usually exhaust me. I feel like I get lost in my own head, or better described as I get lost from the present and end up just dwelling on the feeling. Sometimes it comes with nausea or dizziness or really static vision and it always always just makes me really tired (I tend get them when I'm tired too). And I can function while I have them and it seems that nobody can really tell, they just make it really hard to concentrate and exhaust me.

At first it was really hard to get these feelings. They would bring on severe anxiety and panic attacks (which I never got before). They also make me feel hopeless and depressed...like I am not supposed to be living the life I am living. I'm slowly learning to deal with them though, in that there's less anxiety because I'm getting used to it (and before I thought I was losing my mind every time it happened)
I saw a psychologist, psychiatrist, and neurologist for the problems. The neurologist gave me and MRI and EEG but both came back normal. The psychologist thought I was nuts, and the psychiatrist prescribed me Paxil and Abilify, with Ativan if necessary. I hated the abilify, but after three weeks on the paxil it seemed to help a bit. It didn't really kill the deja vu feelings but it made the associated anxiety and depression a lot more bearable.

I went off the paxil because I thought it was just me getting better, but after a week off it, it was terrible again, so I'm back on it. And I don't plan on stopping seeing doctors. Even though the doctors still seem to think its a form of anxiety and depression (and granted, I have lot of stressors in my life right now and it certainly brings on depression/anxiety, I really feel as if it is something physical that starts it).

I'm glad I found this website though. Its such a comfort to know that others experience these issues too. Good luck to all of you! And I'll be back to let you all know if the paxil starts to help again or if doctors find anything new.

For me it is triggered by smoking cannabis or a very heavy hangover (in which it can feel somewhat relieving) and probably a long history of meth use and experimenting with LSD as a kid. I don't hate it, sometimes it is intriguing and not all that unpleasant. If it is happens in dangerous situations (eg. while driving or surfing) I find that yelling as loud as you can stifles the confusion temporarily. I'd hate to not know what is causing it....good luck with that. %-)

wow. this has cleared up a lot of things for me...a difference however is that the feeling of deva ju, i dont think its that i feel like ive heard it before, its more that i actually have....random conversations, with no specific voices would be floating around in my head for a while, and then right before i hear it said by someone, i start to get those panic attack-like symptoms. i probably sound crazy but...thats what happens...my chest hurts, things around me seem 2 slow down, and i have a harder time breathing....
ive even had dreams of just words, just speaking, and then throught periods of time parts of time, people in my school would recite the dream. it was crazy weird...but now its just words floating around in my head, if anyone else has experienced anything like that, please let me know...

Hey it's Emily209 from page 2. I went about 2 years without having an episode, but a few days ago they started coming back, making me return to this forum to see what's new. I'm curious to know if any of you have sleeping problems or fainting problems. I can spend 4 days sleeping without waking up, and I pass out about once a month. Sound like any of you?

Wow, I can't believe I have only just got round to googling this and found you all. These are definitely not panic attacks, I feel like I am back in the dream I had the night before, it's incredibly intense and confusing and for two or three minutes I'm trying to remember the person or the situation that brought me back there. Then it passes and I need a few minutes to come back to normal.

They used to really scare me, I had them first when I was about 16 and a couple of bouts over the years since, usually during interesting periods in my life, not necessarily stressful ones, I'm just getting into yoga and falling in love at the moment, so got a lot more brain activity going on! I've been quite enjoying the last few as interesting and trippy little moments, but I guess something made me realise they were probably a significant neurological event I should find out more about.

I will definitely go to the doctor for a scan, as I don't want to let something carry on that could be damaging, but remember that everyone has mild deja vu occasionally, and our brains do weird and wonderful things all the time, so don't panic.

well, i've had similar attacks to those you folks have been describing. I was washing the dishes when I began to have very strong deja vu feelings associated with the memories of a dream. As I continued to wash the dishes my thoughts continued to spin into more deja vu, sort of like deja vu feedback loop. I had to get out of the room for awhile so I joined my dad in front of the game, and here's where it get's real weird. As plays are in action I start getting all pre-cog and knowing how they will end. I get tempted to tell my dad not to worry about the flag on the field after a terrific punt return for TD cause it will be on the defense, but decide to save that for myself. It occurs to me that deja vu and precog are not to far apart from one another, but are like two sides of the same coin. I leave the game and come into my room for a bit of privacy, and the deja vu feeling gets real visceral, sort of like a panic attack, but not quite the same. So I start googling deja vu and pre-cog, and the weirdest thing is, I think i've done this before, I just can't remember when.

I am an 18 year old female and i have had this happen too me too. It started about 6 months ago, it stops for a little while and comes back. Usually, when this happens, i would feel the deja vu thing, my heart would start racing and i would get very dizzy. I have had times where i actually passed out or lost consciousness from these episodes.I was taken to the hospital a few weeks ago, had an EEG, Echo, and MRI and everything came out good. I even had a few episodes in the hospital, but all they could see was an increased heart rate. it lasts for a few seconds and them ill be fine. I am so glad that i am not the only one feeling this. I feel like some people think i am making this up and i cant prove them wrong. I wish i just knew why it was happening, and how i could fix it. My greatest fear is that i have a strong episode and pass out while i am driving. I am afraid to drive my sister to work, or my brother to 7-11. But i cant stop living my life bc of this.

I've been experiencing these episodes for the past 14 years. At first I would get them about once a year. However, for the last 4 years I've gotten them more frequently... once a month or once every few months. Over time I've been able to pinpoint a pattern, I find that I'm prone to the episodes during times when I'm sleep deprived, under a lot of stress, or performing something in the course of my job that is repetitive or a task that seems to be dragging out longer than usual. I also suffer from depression, but do not medicate for it. Instead I visit an acupuncturist once a month to treat my depression. I have found that when I'm due for a treatment, I'm prone to the episodes.

I can usually tell the episodes are coming a day or two before. Like they start to come on, but don't. Then the next day it hits and I will have anywhere from 3 to 5 throughout the course of the day that follow the first one.

Symptoms: something I see or hear triggers the episode. A dream plays out in my mind's eye. The scenario is typically repeated with each episode and there are about 2 or 3 scenarios that play out. The "dreams" are very vivid and are accompanied by feelings of euphoria and dread at the same time. At this time, my stomach is turning in knots. The dreams pass with the feelings of euphoria and dread and then I break into a sweat on my forehead and because of the stomach symptoms, I feel like I need to have a bowel movement. I would estimate that the whole ordeal lasts about 10 seconds. Afterwards, I experience some confused thoughts, but this will subside by the next day.

I've done some research on the internet and believe these are are simple temporal lobe seizures. There is no loss of consciousness or motor skills. I even had to carry on conversations with people in the midst of an episode.

Hi everyone,
It's actually really comforting to read that so many others have had similar experiences (although I obviously hope you all get better soon). When my attacks of deja vu began, I was clinically depressed following 3 months in bed with pneumonia. I thought my brain had become over-active and over-imaginative as a result of my solitude while I was convalescing. I would get panic attacks during which my sensory perceptions would become heightened, or at least different, and everything would take on a sinister quality. I became overcome with feelings of intense dread and horror in my chest and stomach, and images/sounds/sensations from dreams I thought I'd had would flash through my mind. I often also felt sick and quite dizzy.
When I started having CBT and taking antidepressants (escitalopram/Cipralex) the attacks seemed to lessen and then peter out until they stopped entirely.
Within the last six months, however, they have started coming back. I initially thought it was a withdrawal symptom from my medication, which I gradually stopped taking about six months ago. I experience these attacks on a pretty regular basis these days; I've learnt to control my anxiety when I'm having one; I just sit very still and try to think about something else. I find the best thing is to start talking to someone else about something totally unrelated and banal. Thinking about the attack seems to make it worse, and I sometimes think the dread I feel (a unique, cold, slightly sickly feeling in my guts) at the thought of the attacks triggers and worsens the attacks themselves.
I have occasionally experimented with drugs in the past, both marijuana (which I didn't do often as I didn't enjoy the feeling of being mentally out of control) and Class A drugs, but I've never been a frequent user and I really hope this didn't cause the attacks. I'm probably going to go back to my CBT therapist and talk things through with him. The attacks are manageable but deeply unnerving and I would love to know what causes/triggers them. I wouldn't mind having the deja vu itself if it wasn't accompanied by this overwhelming feeling of dread, which is horrible.
Anyway, I really hope you guys find a solution to your problems and I'll keep the forum updated if I find a miracle cure! Good luck! x

hello everyone, first of all i'm from germany so please excuse any mistakes on language. i try my best to explain my situation as good as possible. i'm a 21 year old female and i experience deja vu's ever since i can remember (even as a small child). the symptoms are as similiar as most of you describe them (anxiety, panic, stomach ache, no awareness of my environment during an episode and long time to recover from the shock). often it also feels very "disgusting" to me, if you know what i mean. i strongly dislike the feeling of a deja vu which sometimes even feels like a vision. i don't want to go into more detail because most of you already described all of the symptoms very precicesly. my mom send me to several doctors when i was little because i also dreamt and still dream heavily but they only told her that it was because i had a great imagination and that people who are quite smart experience this a lot more often. when i was a teen she send me to a psychatrist who wanted me to visit a school for highly talented teens. honestly, even though i perform very good both at school and university, i do NOT think that i'm highly talented or so and that was why i quit going to the psychatrist. i'm quite ambitious and i have a lot of stress due to working fulltime in marketing and studying at the same time but i can not exactly say if the deja vu's occur more often while being stressed or after. by the way, as i said, i already had them when i was little and there i had far less stress except for the divorce of my parents and a very ruling mother. does anyone here also dream a lot? i remember my dreams (even several) almost every night, they are quite horrible and sometimes feel terrifying real. it's the combination of extreme dreams and deja vu's that leave me restless. i also had a serious seizure two years ago which caused abnormal brain activities. the doctors in the hospital said it was due to a vaccination but after i read through this thread i'm not quite sure about it any more. also it's hard for me to remember specific periods of my life. i don't know why but for some reason i miss a lot of memories, even ones from the near past. does anyone have same problems (heavy dreams, missing memories) besides these terrifying deja vu's? thank you for your comments!

Hi I get these all of the time when I am tired - don't panic or stress it just makes them weirder for you.

For me, they are a 'mini migraine' / prequel migraine / or multiple deja vu leading to a collossal migraine....

1. mini migraine - when I am particularly stressed and/ or tired I start to feel distanced from the world, and separated. n just a bit odd. and usually my temp drops quite suddenly and I shiver. then my neck feels tight on the back - like pressure - normally i don't notice this til afterwards.
If I speak (as I did just now, had one a few moments ago,) it comes out as nonsense - my brain hears it and knows it's rubbish, but its like my mouth thinks it makes sense... you react and get over it much quicker I find if you speak teh crazy, as you realise you are not mental but your brain picking up on everthing you see and reorganising so you don't have mental meltdown - I usually get very hot very quickly after the de ja vu, feel sick and need lots of water.

2. the prequel tends to be stronger, lasts longer and has the same structure as the one before - vivid feeling of knowing everything before it happens - but as I said, if you speak it don't be afraid to talk garbage, some people have difficulty forming words mid migraine and make mumble noises (it's not a stroke unless you have all "FAST - Face, Arms, Speech Time" issues. no droopy face in migraine, or arms but they may not feel your own - i've had it where I can see my hands connect to my arms to my shoulder, but when I looked back my brain was conflicted to whose arm it was. because this is stronger, I normally get after affects - tight aching neck that won't release - hot bath/shower helps relax muscles again! - slower movement like I'm sleepy but I'm not, and feels like I'm heavier, and everything takes more effort - this generally fades if I get to nap a few times in the day or a loooong sleep of around 12+ hrs.

3. Multiple de ja vus hit you in waves and kinda make it hard to know which way is up. same as before but repeated - I usually get them with extreme stress --  house move, loss of relative, or work stress if it has increased. combined with tiredness it kicks off for a reall nightmare for several days.

I first start craving bad food - either very salty or sweet and I will eat as much as I can get hold of and feel sick. then I get teh detachment feeling and think uh-oh migraine - generally crave foods that trigger the migraine as if my body is forcing a mini shutdown for a reboot!

then if i speak the deja vu to anyone they can repeat it back to me later, because it was weird nonsense, but at the time its vividly correct. then immediately after teh deja vu part stops I forget what I'd been saying, get very sleepy and heavy feeling, yawning a lot. I feel as if I've run t eh London Marathon.then the blinding pounding headaches start, the flaashing light auras and when i feel so sick I can't move I have to hide in a dark a room as possible until i pass out and sleep some of it off.

when I reawaken I am CLUMSY I mean not AVERAGE I mean DANGEROUS. - I have tripped over my own feet and headbutted a door frame - depth perception seems to fail, like the whole this sin't my had thing, i get extremely forgetful for a few days and am exhausted for a few days. you feel like you are in a brain fog that won't shift. then after a couple of days you sleep and ping back to normal.

I didn't initially realise that it was a migraine - I'd call it weird dejavu - then one day i ran to my mum mid verbal weirdness and she agreed with whatever rubbis I spouted at her and she said "It's a migraine I think - I get them where I can't talk at all!" - i have witnessed this, it does appear like a stroke but hte person is 1000% there and with it, just teh mouth part goes sleepy, the consciousness and motor skills are fine, just the speaking ones - I could write perfectly but not speak.

So basically I'm saying don't panic!

Check out migraine history/ dejavu in your family
check out migraine triggers - tiredness, caffeine, chocolate, cheese - I crave any high carb thing pre migraine... should make me stop but no rational thought is usually left by this point. then I realise I am pre migraine!
Are you tired / stressed/ run down when they happen? - i tend to get spotty and yawny - others normally tell me beczuse I dnt notice.
If you don't panic breathe slowly you can normally get rid fo the feeling quicker you need to acknolwedge it and the rest you need.

I learnt this over many years of wondering what it was and copious "bad heads" not even thinking an 11 yr old could get migraine - also if you are ladies its higher risk and pre-menstrual it can bounce it on too!

Good luck all!

(I'm not a Dr but have had 15 years of trying to get around it and not miss school. )

oops forgot to say I also get very sensitive to light - Dr's often panic about menigitis, except definitely no rash - and sounds become louder and more shrill and horrible to me - I'm a musician and have had my favourite pieces sound horrible as if someone was playing badly even though I know its the same cd i listen to every day,,,, these can be clues to pre migraine

Dr's will test for neuro problems because they would rather be safe, in the UK they do it the other way round though - they try different migraine meds first and then progress to tests, unlike some poor people have had the worry that they may have brain cancer to find out nothing,.,,,,

but anything you are worried about a dr can normally reassure you! and ask about migraine, becasue often teh simplest answer is correct

OMG... I thought that I was the only one... this is such a relief to know that others suffer from these horrible panic attacks. I get them, maybe once or twice a month since I was 15 years old. I am now 25 years old and so glad to finally know that what I am experiencing is not unusual. The same thing happens to me, the over whelming feeling of dread comes over my entire body. Nothing about me changes, my looks that is, but I feel like the world is spinning around me. My whole body feels like when your arm falls asleep and the blood is rushing back to it. The feeling is more like at the point when you have to wait for the rest of the blood to get to your arm and you cant bend it because it hurts kind of. The feeling of that comes first and then it is like I know what people are going to say and do before they do it. it lasts maybe 20 seconds at a time. I get what I call "warning shots" before the big one comes. The "warning shots" are more like a quick stab of fear in the pit of my stomach. Its not long that they last and they usually happen 2 or 3 times a day about 3 days before I actually get the panic attack. It is so amazing and relieving that I am not the only one and that I am not going crazy (which I thought I was at one point cause no one else believed me and thought that I was making it up). Thank you to everyone that posted their experiences, you may not know it but it has lifted the burden of the world off my shoulders. Thank you to all.