Hello, folks. I was discovered a bowel cancer. Luckily, it is in its earlier stages, so it can be operated. However, my doctor tells me that after the surgery, I will have to undergo chemotherapy. I wonder why this is necessary. What can you tell me about this? I would appreciate it.

Hello. Giving chemotherapy after surgery is called adjuvant chemotherapy. It is usually given to prevent the cancer from coming back. It is also recommended if the cancer is present in lymph nodes. You can have this as a daily injection in 4 or 5 days in a row for every 4 or 5 weeks. Instead, you can receive a weekly injection. 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) is one of the most used medications for adjuvant chemo treatment. You should discuss these details with your oncologist. I hope he will clarify this for you. Good luck with this!