I suffer from ovarian cancer. Unfortunately I found it out late, when I was already in stage three. Lately I’ve been having liver problems and my doctor think that is sign for stage four, that is “metastatic”. I am hopeless. What else happens in fourth stage?

I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately again, in the fourth stage, the most advanced, the cancer spreads to organs beyond the abdomen. It may have spread to the inside of the liver or spleen; there may be distant metastases, such as ovarian cancer cells in the fluid around the lungs. I am not happy to tell you that the average five-year survival rate for this stage is less than 10%.

I was diagnosed with late 3 or 4th stage ovarian cancer in 1992 metasized to the colon, cavity and diaphram. Since then I have had 5 operations, an autologous stem cell transplant, two liver resections for the cancer when it spread to my liver and 5 different rounds of chemo. However, I have had a wonderful happy productive life and have worked full time during all of this. Was it easy - no but it was worth it. I just wanted people to know that it is important to have a "fighting " attitude (my attitude was not always positive) and that their is hope. For several years, I felt little hope based on the odds at that time. all the literature at that time incidated 2 years - perhaps 5 years of life. It is important to use gyn. oncologists for operations and the most recent chemo procedures. I had excellent dubulking at the Medical Center and experimental Chemo (cysplatimum) provided in 1992 - 4 doses through an IV and 3 doses through directly to the cavity (intraperitoneal).

PS I really believe in base level CA125 testing - my CA125 is very accurate at indicating whether or not my cancer has reoccurred. Posted 2008

Thank you for your uplifting story. My sister was diagnosed last Oct. with ovarian cancer. Everything was contained, no fluid leakage, and

everything that was possible to remove was removed. She was attended by her gyn. and an excellent oncologic gyn. She is currently

being seen by 3 Dr. who are monitoring her condition weekly. She went through an intense series of chemo treatments and was fine

for 3 months afterward. Then they discovered that she had 2 small spots on her liver, for which she is receiving additional chemo

treatments.

You are a very brave woman and I admire your courage. I know that keeping up spirits and a positive attitude can be difficult, as it

has been for my sister. She has a wonderful family that is encouraging her everyday to stay strong and fight hard. How you could

withstand all that you went through is a testament to your will and desire to live. I only hope that my sister will be able to do the same

I pray that you will continue to heal and ask that you do the same for my sister. Perhaps one day we will not have to discuss this

dreaded disease that destroys so many lives. God bless you.