I must admit that I really feel helpless these days. My aunt has been diagnosed with colon cancer and it looks like it has affected the anal area. Doctors even mentioned the possibility of Abdominoperineal resection. For which cancer stage is that necessary. Is there some other solution? Do you know?

Well, if they are mentioning the surgery, that means that situation is serious. Although, I guess they are already trying with chemo therapy, perhaps even radio treatment. If those do not work, than the surgery has to be done. Perhaps, it will be just a local resection… If the AP resection has to be done, I just hope that she will be able to adapt fast to the changed lifestyle afterwards.

It is my opinion yoour mother and perhaps yourself needs to be much more involved in the decisionmaking around this proces. So for a start could I suggest that you have a look at the various cancer sites that explain the options that are available.

In your mothers case it sounds like she has a low cancer probably in the rectum. If it is just a small cancer (that is has not invaded the colon wall eg Stage 1) it may well be able to be treated with just local surgery and an APR avoided. If it is larger (stage2/3) it is now very common for a course of radiotheraphy usually combined with chemo, to be done prior to surgery. This has the effect of reducing the chance of the cancer coming back after surgery and in the majority of cases , actually reducing the size of the cancer thus reducing the need for an APR. (Though she may well need a temporary stoma on the small bowel after surgery to give this a chance to heal, and it is then "reversed" after).

Again this is her body she needs to be involved in the decisons on this. Get not only the opinion of the surgeon, but also a radiation and medical oncologist, preferably at a specialist center.