Hi! recently I had pneumonia. I had chest x-ray test. Doctor told me that I have a solitary pulmonary nodule. I worry that I have a lung cancer. I smoke more than twenty years. Is this potential risk for cancer? Please answer me.

Hi! I also had it, and I know how much you worry. Solitary pulmonary nodule is potential risk for cancer, but they are fairly common abnormalities on chest x-ray images. This is a small, round lesion in the lungs. You should know that sixty percent of all solitary pulmonary nodules are benign. There is always the chance that a nodule on a chest x-ray is malignant. Risk factors that increase the chance that a nodule is malignant include: a history of cigarette smoking, age older than 45 years, male, presence of respiratory symptoms and a history of cancer elsewhere in the body. Because you smoke you should talk with your doctor about potential risk for a cancer.