Everytime I eat something I always get congested and begin weezing. I also begin coughing up hard mucous. I've had this problem for at least 15 years. I was told it may be a food allergy but I eat alot of different foods (mostly healthy). The weezing and congestion subsides after 15 minutes. I'm 37 years old, non smoker and drinker. Any response would be appreciated....

Guest wrote:

I have the same exact thing and it's been getting worse for years. Not sure what it is, but it's embarrassing when everyone asks if I'm okay every time after we eat because I have all this coughing. Anyone know what this could be? Years ago I was told it was post-nasal drip, but now I have congestion and I don't know if it can still be classified as that. Any comments would be helpful! Thanks!

Hate to be a parrot but same here. I googled the question and came across this post.

When eating, I get tons of mucous build up. Embarrassing to talk and blow nose while others trying to eat.

From google, I kept hitting something called "Dysphagia" which does not seem to be the issue however one of the symptoms is mucous in the chest after eating. Dysphagia's a swallowing disorder.

Same here - 37 yrs. old, eat healthy, never smoked, although I do drink about 2-5 glasses of red wine and/or cocktails (no beer) per week. My congestion occurs the most frequently and is the worst after drinking Orange Juice and eating dairy foods and tofu.

I get the same thing. I've had it as far back as I can remember. Happens when I eat a lot, esp. certain foods. Lungs fill w/ mucus and I cough it up and then back to normal pretty quickly. I'm 38 and a former smoker (quit 5 yrs ago). I'm very confident this is completely normal.

I am also 37 and have the same problem it seems we are close to the same age Something to do with it? I have never met anyone with the same problem.
Do you have a hard time with Heartburn?

Try taking Pepcid or the likes.

I have the same problem and was told it's caused by acid reflux.

What happens is that mucus is caused because of your body reacting to the acid.

It made sense to me and the Pepcid works. At least for me.

I take a proton pump inhibitor similar to aciphex or nexium. I have been doing so for years and I have the congestion problem as well. Soon after I eat, I get this thick build up of what feels like nickelodeon slime in the back of my throat that I can't get to go away.

I'm 43, never smoked, and I wish I could find a cure as well.

I'm 41, eat healthy, never smoked, and have the exact same problem. If I eat a snack it doesn't seem to happen, but with almost any large meal - wide variety of foods - this happens. I get gunk in my lungs and have to cough it out. Then, problem solved. It's a nuisance since there I am at work or in a restaurant having to cough loudly, repeatedly. Sounds like I'm sick or etc. when I'm not. LOVE to find a resolution.

I do have the same kind of problem .. but i am not having any kind of wheezing problem ..its just that the moment i eat something .. mucus levels gets risen up.. so to cope up with that.. i chew something which has mint flavor in it..
be it a chewing gum or a tablet or for that matter mint leaves.
just try out if it works in your case as well.

Im 20, and ive been noticing this problem quite frequently. After I eat a good portion of food, I begin to feel congestion in my chest. When I breath you can hear the wheez in each breath. I have to cough to clear it.
Do you think Im too young for something like this to occur? I dont know, ill try the mint thing.

I'm 36 and have had this problem as long as I can remember. It's worst at lunchtime. I don't know the cause, but hot tea after eating really helps break up congestion.

Hi, I'm a 34 yr old male and just started having this problem about 6 months ago. It occurs most frequently when I eat just before bed. Seems worse if I eat faster than usual. I also have noticed that it happens more frequently when my eczema flares up, which leads me to wonder if it is also inflamatory related. Occasionally I get exercised induced asthema which is another inflamatory condition. Just food for thought.

I am 24 and have the same issues congestive cough after I am done eating. I have recently noticed this within the past 6 months because it has gotten worse. I think I have had it for longer, but not as severe. I went to my doctor and he is clueless as to what it is. He is trying to see if it is food allergies, acid reflex, aspiration when eating or if it has something to do with my sinuses with nasal dripping after eating. I have had an esophogram (swallow test) done and that came back fine. So I am now off to a Ears Nose and Throat doctor tomorrow. I would talk to your doctors about food allergies or sinus issues.

I also have this problem and have had it for several years. I also have a lot of catarrh and was diagnosed with post nasal drip. I was prescribed beconais by both my GP and a specialist but I don't think it really made much difference. I googled to see if anyone had a solution.