This is ruining my LIFE! I have had this problem since November of 2006. I have tried just about EVERYTHING otc all nasal sprays, all antihistimines, zyrtec, mucinex, allegra even the ones you have to show your I'D,neti pot, etc. I have even tried candida and other natural remedies like apple cider and such.I have to constantly clear my throat. I have this thick stringy sticky mucous I'm always hacking up. It seems worse after I eat, exercise, laugh. Also in the morning for the first 2 hours I'm up its worse. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm drowning in mucous. This irritates all people around me. I've had surgery for my adnoids and deviated septum, before that surgery I could not clear the mucous out, this helped to atleast be able to hack it out. I need someone to be my angel and tell me you have had this same problem and you know the answers since no doctor can help. I feel this is going to be the death of me. I hope I'm not clearing a hole in my throat from doing it so much.

Also I do not smoke and i am in my late 20s

Hey Jenelle

I have had the same problem for a couple of years now. I am seeing some specialists this month I will update you on any progress. I definitely know how annoying this symptom is. Let me know any progress on your end. I resently started a daily sinus rinse which I found to slightly relieve 

I have mucus, feel like I am drowning in it. where is it coming from. Am I bringing up lung mucus or am I trying to rid myself of post nasal drip or is it acid reflux. Or is it asthma or COPD ????  I run from doctor to doctor with no help. each has their own idea od what is wrong. I had a brovo ph test to rule out acid reflux. It showed that I do not have acid reflux but I have lots of swelling in my throat which indicates otherwise. The ph brovo test, would not Advise. I got darverticulitis 10 days after the insertion of the capsul. Excuse spelling, too lazy to correct. Spending much of my time just suffering!!!!! Oh and I do have hashimotis thyroid. sick of the whole thing! Good luck to all of you.  Signed, just plain miserable.

Could it be whooping cough/ pertussis? Have you ever had a booster shot for that? Could be atypical presentation. Having similar myself last 3 weeks. Seems thick stringy mucus that's really hard to shift is a feature.

I had the same thing for years and had ultrasounds done on my thyroid and a couple upper GI's and then went somewhere else after being on acid reflux meds for years just to find out I had food allergies. Maybe try checking that out. I've felt fine the past couple of years, but the last couple days I have been feeling terrible again. Even the thought of food is making me sick again. Here's hoping me cutting out the foods I'm allergic to will help me again.

I've been there - done that with 4 different doctors and MANY medicines. I've been tested for Asthma, Allergies and GERD with no results. I came across a posting that put me on to trying probiotics. This seems to have the most promise but I'm still experimenting with it. I may add mega-dose of Vit C with it.

I have the exact problem. I am hoping that someone has given you a solution and you can share it with me. It sometimes feel like it is taking over my life. I hate to even eat sometimes. Please help me! Thanking you in advance...

I’ve been reading the many posts about chronic mucus in the throat. I’ve been there – done that for many years. I’ve seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx’s. I’ve been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I’m not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I’ve come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator.  When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad] in your system – this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I’m not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I’ve pieced together with some research] There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them – doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I’ve been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I currently take 3 capsules 2X daily] This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot – maybe 80% or more. [I’m reluctant to say that I’m cured]

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren’t a solution for me – Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure but I still use Flonase. So thanks to another on-line posting, I’m trying lemon water with cayenne pepper in it – not a lot of pepper but enough to give it a little warmth. [Yes, I know this sounds like a witch’s brew but it’s really not so bad]  So far, so good! It seems to be working.

I hope this information works. Good luck.

I've had the same thing for at least 6 years.  Been tested for allergies - even went through a years worth of shots for allergies.  No help at all.  I've had many Rx's for nasal sprays that don't help and no one seems to know what's happening.  Went through the exams for Gerd, etc., as well.  I now have trouble even clearing my throat enough to talk.  I'm constantly hoarse and when I try to clear it out, my throat just gets even more irritated.  It used to be worse in the a.m. but now it's all day and evening too. 

Hi all.First of all, give a message of encouragement. I also took with this problem for years and you have to do is to create communities that support us and find out what the source of the problem. I suffer the same symptoms, this mucus stuck at the level of the larynx that is unbearable to remove because of its consistency. In my case it's like little bumps, sometimes with olive green, sometimes clearer.can be gerd, asthma, postnasal drip or allergies???. Doctors are not clarified.

Let's start our own investigation

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Do not give up and continue posting.

PS: Sorry for my english, im from Spain 

Im feeling so helpless, and im not sleeping , saw an ent he said i had barretts esophagus , had surgery for that Im still suffering... and im just about to go crazy ... id rather be in pain , instead of this ..why arent these drs helping us ???.. ive even thought of suicide brcause of how miserable this is theres not much quality of life left .. when you are sooo focused on clearing stuff out of your throat , all day long every day ... and you cant relax enough to even get to sleep ... help !!!!!!!

You probably have a yeast infection in your throat also known as thrush or candida of the throat. Men can get yeast infections as well so don't stereotype. Look into it, have your doctor test it. Even take a flashlight shine it in the back of your throat and see if you notice any white patches at all.

have you had an xray of your lungs,Ibelieve mucus can also originate from the lungs

i have had the same thing for 6 months. i have tried everything and 5 drs. only thing so far that has relieved it a cot all is codiene cough syrup , sometimes the neti pot and a steriod shot.
have you found anything since that works. i am desperate to feel better, very fatigued and no sleep