Okay, so when I do situps I hear/feel popping sounds not quite in my stomach but at the top of my abs where the ribs meet in the center. What is this popping noise and am I damaging some kind of tendon or ..or lining in there?

If there's no associated pain or tension, then odds are, it's a 'vacuum / gas / release' issue, like cracking your knuckles, clicking your tongue, stomach growling (hunger), or similar.

The obvious candidate is your diaphragm, separating your stomach from your lungs, google stomach diaphragm.

Every time you do a situp, you're folding and compressing that space, then dropping back and opening it, in effect doing with your stomach / diaphragm what Donkey in Shrek II (?) is doing with his mouth, making an annoying 'popping' sound... that would be my guess.

As to what it is specifically, you'd have to go to a doctor or clinic if you really want to get to the bottom of this.

I used to have a thing that felt like a tail bone that seemed to be growing down from my sternum. I used to be able to make it snap/pop by contracting my stomach. I mentioned it to the doc when I was around 30 and he said we all have that and it keeps growing just like I described. I don't know if only guys have it or if girls do too. You didn't say which you are or how old you are. I don't know when I first noticed it but I think I used to be fascinated by making it pop when I was in high school.

They ruined mine when I had heart bypass surgery. Now it just sticks out like a curled finger pointing out of my belly. It looks funny on an x-ray too. It used to just be fun to pop it, it didn't hurt at all. Now after they ran their buzz saw up my middle, it hurts like hell when I touch it.

I know this is late but is it true that its like popping knuckles because i have this problem when sitting up i hear a little pop sometimes not all the time i have to sit up fast to hear it