About two months ago I was drying myself off in the bathroom when I noticed a disfigured bump under my collar bone. I addressed it to my mom, and she said she'd make an appointment, but we soon blew it off.

Now, about a week ago, I notice it again, and then get somewhat paranoid. I'm known to be a hypochondriac, so of couse, I tried not to get carried away. My mom finally got an appointment scheduled for May 26, and it's been hard not to think it's a malignant tumor.

The lump is promidable beneath the left collar bone, right where it meets the breast bone. It rises higher than my collar bone, and seems to get smaller from the top to bottom. I think it's about 2-3 inches from top to bottom, and 1 1/2 inches wide. I've done plenty of research ever since my paranoia struck, and I know there is a lymph node below the clavicle, and it's very rare it should swell.

I also know that my mom's parents both died of cancer, and I believe that the cancer extended another generation.

Advice, information, or encouragement would be appreciated.

- Josh

I believe that just any spot you notice on your body might give you worries because your grandparents died of cancer, but I believe this shouldn’t be a big deal what you have, you just need to have this one checked by the doctor, maybe he will refer you to do the biopsy.
I have read something about the bumps on the clavicle at this forum and it is linked to a condition called a cat scratch disease, which is caused by a bacteria transmitted from cats to humans by the scratch or bite. Do you have kittens at home or could you possibly be beaten or scratched at some other’s place or just wherever.
I have one more suggestion. This could just be a fat tissue accumulated at this place, which is called lipoma and is harmless, but if it increases in size, you just need to have it surgically removed. This is really not a big deal. But I am a bit suspicious about that as the clavical bone and the area around it is pretty unusual for lumps to occur, but you never know, there are always exceprions. Check it out and don’t panic!

Welll, I checked it out, and supposedly a while back I fell or something (which is quite possible) and disarticulated my collar bone from my sternum. It's really not a big deal, and he says that it should go down a few weeks from now, although it's already been two months. Wierd considering I dont' even know when I got the bump. I got x-rays and what-not, and you can clearly see where the collar bone was disarticulated, and the doctor said we'd make a follow up appointment. So, chances are, it's nothing big.

omg, im having the same thing right now except on the right side, and they have no idea what it is, and i left it for so long i have a bone infection

I have a lump near my right clavicle
sometimes it hurts
I have seen several doctors, all are stumped
I have had x-ray,CTscan,MRI
Rheumatoid factor elevated in bloodwork
went to Rheumatologist- more focused bloodwork was done
bloodwork is normal
next step-suggested biopsy

I would like ot know what the resulets were for others who have written in
with similar problem

Hello, my daughter has a swollen lymph node on her left clavicle. We went to many of doctors & they did some blood work...Don't know what the results are yet. But now we are supposed to get a "biospy" done but we are waiting for an opinion by her main physician because it has gone down some. Do you think it was just an infection of some sort.

Don't panic is right... but don't disregard it either. I have had Hodgkin's disease and had 2 nodes right behind my clavicle bone removed to dianose it. I recovered and am fine now 19 yrs later -- but now I have an enlarged bony clavicle (same one) and they are telling me it might be osteoarthritis or a broken collar bone or both. It hurts, which is a good sign (usually tumors are painless) So, take care and definitely get it seen about.

Hi all. Well here's my story. Back in July I was on a rollercoaster with my kids. It was riketty and at the end of the ride it came to an abrupt stop and I heard a pop and I was in agony from my left shoulder.

3 weeks later I had an XRay which revealed a fracture of the left clavicle.

2 days later I slipped an fell down the stairs and must have reinjured the left shoulder as I was trying to break my fall.

Anyway, in December I go back to my orthopaedic Doc and he takes an XRay again and says I should have surgery to repair the clavicle.

OK, so I don't see him again until last week because now I am fed up with the giant lump on my left clavicle bone. So he tells me it looks like it got bigger let's take another XRay.

Now he's comparing the XRay from Feb. to the one in Dec. and says do you see this? I said see what?

There's a piece of bone missing that was there in Dec. I asked what could caue that? he said infection, sometimes the body absorbs bone, osteomyelitis, or a tumor.

So now I am freaking out because I had the MRI Wed. and it shows a tumor with soft tissue and fluid.

I've been looking up lumps on clavicle and I see that it's possible that it could be a giant benign tumor that's aggressive and eats away bone, but so do malignant tumors.

My friend who sw the MRI said she's no Doctor but it appears to be contained in this one area.

Anybody else out there experience anything like what i'm going through? :'(

Hi I also have a lump on my right clavicle at the sternum end. I had xrays on Tuesday & went for the result today. The DR said it was just the structure of my clavicle & that it was nothing to worry about. I have lost 12 kg in the last 14 weeks due to dieting, the doctor reckons that is why I have only just noticed it. I will just keep an eye on it now, it is hard & unmovable to touch.

Well I noticed 3 weeks ago that I have a large hard lump on my rib. Had X-Rays And Ultrasound. X Rays Showed Nothing Ultrasound Saw The Lump And I was then Told To See A Surgeon. So I just went for a bone scan and waiting for the results. The Pain Is So Bad, I havent strained it or lifted anything heavy so I dont no what its is.

Two weeks ago I had a lot of pain along the upper part of my left clavicle and noticed that it was enlarged, also anterior neck pain that seems to radiate to my ear. X-rays were done and showed nothing. Naprosyn and ice didn't help. Now I am scheduled for an MRI at the end of the week and blood work. I have not had any injury to the area, but had been exercising pretty steady for the past 5 weeks before the pain started. Hoping it is nothing, but the on line info is pretty scary.

My shoulder has been hurting for 3 months now. The pain goes from the tip of my shoulder to the clavical, which is so tender to the touch, and up my neck. Went for and ultrasound of my neck and it showed an enlarged lymph node. My doctor doesn't seem to be worried but she suggests I see a surgeon. I also just had a mammogram of the right breast and it showed a spot believed to be a lymph node. The surgeon will check this out too. I wonder if this is all connected to something serious. I'm so scared that it might be cancer.

I just wondered what the person who posted earlier had found out? I too have a right sided lump under the clavicle and elevated rheumatoid factor and sed rate. I didnt even notice the lump at first and havent went to the doctor since I am overweight, I assumed it had to do with that.

My father in-law has recently been told that he has a "tumor" underneath his collar bone pressing on his spine and throat. He can't eat or get out of bed without help (& 4 weeks ago he was fully functional). The doctors around home will not touch it and have sent his tests results to a doctor at Emory University to see if he can/will help.

Does anyone have any information pertaining to his condition?

Please help!!

I have a small hard knot under my left collarbone and am scheduled for surgery in a week. Met the Dr. for 5 minutes and he said we needed to take it out. No biopsy. He said it could be a number of things, but of course, I am thinking it is cancer. Advice???