In the last few months my right clavicle has been swollen and is tender to touch. I cannot rest on that side. Last year I fell on the front steps and pushed myself against the railing. My Dr. seems to think it is menopause swelling of the clavicle and not the fall of so many months ago. The end of the bone seems to have a fat pad swelling, somewhat tender to touch and makes me unconfortable to rest on my right side.

hi marie, i have a simmilar problem and hope if your now through yours you could maby help me.
a year ago i was in a car accident and among other things had a deep bone bruise on the right clavicle from the seatbelt, xrayed but not fractured.
the bruising went away but i was left with a bone like lump mid bone, apart from the occasional ache it was ok but about 5 wks ago it started to hurt more and seemed bigger, then 3 wks ago it looked like it had moved down slightly at the sternum end and just didnt look right and hurt when i moved my arm or neck, it had definatly grown.
the ach was worse and i was getting stabbing pains aswell, 2 wks ago the sternum started to swell, its also bone like and is already as big as the first lump.
im taking antinflams and their not having any effect, the aches like realy bad tooth ache and the sharp pain is now often and sickerning, radiating up my neck, down into my breast and throughout my shoulder, im also very tender in my right armpit but it doesnt seem swollen.
my gp has given me dihydracodeine and co codamol and antinflams for the pain and booked me in for an xray but it could take wks and im realy worried, if anyone has any ideas of what it may be id be very glad to hear form you, thankyou, and marie i hope you got sorted out and are ok now.

Mark me down as another case of 'unsolved' swollen clavical. The brunt of my swelling is on the joint closest to the next. Prior to the swelling I felt periodic 'stabbing' pains in the middle portion of the clavical bone. My first visit to a Doctor result in a guess of Arthritis. I was sent for x-rays and was informed no sign of arthritis was visable. Next Doctor thought I might have an undiagnosed fracture from a previous fall. Next x-rays showed no fracture. Was then sent for a Bone scan and was told 'something is definitly happening in that area', then in the next breath was thrown a 'guessed' diagnosis of gout. I now have to wait 3 more months to get in to an arthritic doctor so she can stick a needle in the joint to look for crystals in order to confirm the gout diagnosis.

My question is - wouldn't a blood test show excess uric acid / cyrstals / cytokines? Why would this last Doctor suspect Gout in such a peculilar place as a clavical joint?

i fell during the winter and landed on my right arm and shoulder,increasing pain x rays showed nothing now i have a large very noticeable bump/lump on my chest,pain 24 hrs a day stiff neck,crunching sounds in neck and shoulder pain,i thought i was alone :

A few days ago I noticed an enlarged area at the base of my neck on my right clavical. The entire clavical appears to be raised upward and out. An x-ray today showed that it indeed appeared as described. Dr. had no idea what caused it or what to do about it. I had and have no paid except in my back which I had for years. I have been doing heavy lifting and pulling on a hose but don't know if that caused it. Any ideas about the prognosis?

For those of you suffering with pain in your chest, clavicle, sternum area- please read! In April of 2010, I woke up like I had slept on my right arm wrong. I had discomfort in my clavicle area, and ignored it. It contnued to progress and the pain became unbearable. I visited my PCP who said I must have pulled a muscle, and prescribed antiinflammatories, and non narcotic pain relievers. 2 days later I couldnt sleep on that side, the pain was so severe I couldnt stop crying, and I couldnt lift the arm on my right side. I went to Urgent Care and they did xrays that were negative- thinking I had broken my clavicle. They prescribed me Percocet and agreed it was a pulled muscle. 2 days with that found no relief and back I went to my PCP where I was so distraught that he tol me he felt bad but I would have to work through the pain and prescribed me Vicodin. I tried my best for 2 more days until I finally called our insurances 24 hour nurse line nd told them that I knew something was wrong, I couldnt sleep the pain was so debilitating. She told me to go to the ER where on examination they were unable to find anything. The doctor stated that it had to be a pulled muscle but wanted to do a CT scan. They did a CT scan and it came backnegative. He stated that they would give me stronger pain meds and release me. By then my husband was even aggravated with me because the doctos had all said it was a pulled mucle, and that I needed to let it heal. The doctor came back in a couple of times before discharging me and could see that I was in extreme pain. He came back in and said that he "never second guessed himself", but until he felt comfortable sending me home he was keeping me and that he had an idea about something. It was a relief to think he actually was believing me. He sent me for MRI, that revealed soemthing in my chest area. They did a needle biopsy, which didnt result in anythng but a drop of fluid. They came back to tell me that I had Sternoclavicular Osteomyelitis with a septic joint caused by Staphlycoccus Aureus (sp), and that I had sepsis of the blood. The doctor said that the infection was so bad that if I had been sent home within 2 days I wuld have been dead. I am a 37 year old mother of 3, in relatively good health. They asked and checked me from head to toe for open wounds, signs of infections, trauma, etc and found none. They speculate that it was caused by dental work from 2 weeks prior to the onset of symptoms. I was operated on Mothers Day of 2010 in May, where they went in and removed pieces of my sternum and clavicle and debrided the infectd bone. They were concerned thatthe entire bones might have to be removed and that the infection might be around the heart (pericarditis). In the end they only had to remove pieces of bone and it did not penetrte my heart. I was hospitalized following the surgery for several weeks, and sent home with a PICC line in my heart and 24 hour IV antibiotics of Nafsillin (sp) for 8 weeks. I was on morphine both short acting and long acting for over a month due to pain. I have a 5"scar on my chest at the sternum/clavicle joint. I have had routine followup since with no issues. I stress that if yo think somethingis wrong keep going back. My PCP actually apologized and stated that he would have never figured it out because it is not taught. It is rare and is mostly seen with IV drug users who shoot drugs into the jugular vein when it is seen. I have no history of drug use. There arent many cases known in the US, and they blieve it goes misdaignosed often... ONLY YOU know your body and how you are feeling. I was lucky one doctor finally listened, or I would not be here today. PLEASE PLEASE, continue to go to other doctors, ER, whoeve. Doctors practice meicine and are wrong, that is why they call it practicing.... Hope this helps someone:)

I have a lot of the same symptoms. I have pain across my chest and then burning down my arm and up my neck to my jaw. My clavicle pops and moves. It is swollen and has been this way for a month. My Orthopedic Dr. thinks it's a sprain. Would a blood test show the infection? Was your pain continuous? At times the pain subsides then I get a stabbing pain by doing nothing. I am very concerned.

i noticed that my right clavicle was swolen and sticking out of my skin near enough,you could definatelty notice it and the pain was unbearable, i ended up seeing my gp an 2 bone specialists an they said i had chronic oesteomyletis, i went through an operation to get a bit of the bone removed to try and remove some of the infection and now a year later it still hurts and im left with a huge scar. guess i have it for life. i just takelots of painkillers. the only other way to get rid of it is to get the bone removed.

hello dear sorry to hear your story i have similar to your...how are you now? i hope you still rocking life is beautiful..Godbless you hope you read my message so that we can share our story in life . thank you.