I had a root canal almost a week ago the procedure took 2.5 hours in the morning and 3.5 hours that same afternoon and 4.5 hours the following morning. A file was broken off in my tooth that they were unable to get out. The procedure was on my upper back moler and since the procedure my entire cheek has been numb and swolen the tooth does not feel bad. Is this common or should I be concerened about this?

Well,

You have to understand that you had a mayor surgery that lasted for very long period of time. It is almost unbelievable that they had to do this for such a long period of time. It is not strange that your cheek is numbed because your operation took so long. In my opinion you are lucky that you don’t have any further complications. I know that people often develop swelling and pain in the whole side of the face. Are you using any kind of pain killers for the pain? What did doctor told you about the diet that you can use in period where your teeth and cheek bone are recovering?

Good luck,

Karel