Hi Friends,

There was a long post with this title that went from 2006 to 2008. I think I have a good answer for this, but I am not a doctor.

You probably have Lyme disease (Borreliosis caused by a Spirochete like Syphilis) (or Bartonella, Babesia, Ehrlichiosis, Mycoplasm, etc). Basilcally, you were bitten by a tick or other vector like a deer fly or sand fly and transmitted the bacteria in your blood. About 1/2 the people develop some kind of rash, and maybe 10 percent develop the classic Bullseye rash. So you may not even remember a bite. I have met folks who were bit by a tick that stayed on only 1-2 hours and got Lyme, despite the experts saying you need at least 24 hours. I had the tick on for less than 12 hours and burned it off. A big no-no as it spit its gut contents into me as it died. Pick off only with tweezers, please!

There is so much controversy around this disease, be forewarned. You may have all the symptoms and the tick bite and the rash and your GP will order the CDC standard ELISA/Western Blot tests to look for 5 bands. This sequence is deeply flawed and accurate like a coin flip. You will have to find a LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) and there are not many. (Goto Lymenet.org to find one). I am from Michigan and there are only 3-4 publicly known, maybe a few in each state except New England where its an epidemic. They will not be afraid to do long-term antibiotics, sometimes lasting years, unfortunately. The rest of the LLMDs are probably hiding from the AMA fearing lawsuits.

I can't stress the need to find someone that will diagnose based on symptoms. The one test from Igenix labs is better, but not the last word, as there are no accurate tests. The only real test is antibiotics to see if they alleviate the symptoms. ANd I include here natural ones like Garlic, Cat's Claw, Andrographis, Golden Thread, Tease, etc. Its best to combat this disease on all fronts. I have been doing the natural way waiting to get a LLMD appt and the disease progressed (I was not diligent in my doses, though). WIth antibiotics. a steady improvement with the herbs. As a last resort people may need months of intravenous antibiotics like Rocephin.

Lyme is being called the greatest epidemic of the day. It is the newest great imitator, causing many symptoms and implicated as causing many cases of MS, ALzheimer's, Parkinson's, ALS, Dementia, Lupus, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Depression, Anxiety, and many more. I got the fatigue, arthritis, "brain fog", numbing left side, facial numbnes and tingling, shooting pains, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, etc

Read the book "Cure Unknown" or watch the DVD "Under Our Skin."

J

Thank you for posting about Lyme disease here because I think a lot of people who suffer from it are unaware that they have it so it's important that people bear this in mind especially if they live in the New England area because you can have this disease from a tick or sand fly without even knowing it, and your doctors will not typically think to test for it. Thanks again.