My sister is living abroad, we talk on Skype really often and she recently told me that she is having some stomach pain which she didn't really have before. She is in her third trimester of pregnancy and she doesn't know what is causing this, I told her to go and talk to her doctor but she said that this will probably go away on its own. I am basically here just to check if there could be something serious that is causing her stomach pain in the third trimester of her pregnancy. So, can anyone tell me more about this?

Hey Guest,

You don't have to worry about your sister, Guest, in most cases abdominal pain during pregnancy is just a normal thing which occurs during pregnancy and it won't require any sort of treatment although sometimes something dangerous might be causing it.

I will tell you about some dangerous causes because the mild ones are kind of not worth mentioning so the dangerous causes of abdominal pain during pregnancy are the following: ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, preterm labor, placental abruption, preeclampsia, urinary tract infections, and other things like stomach virus, food poisoning, appendicitis, kidney stones, hepatitis, gallbladder disease, pancreatitis, fibroids, and bowel obstruction.

I was just about to tell you about a couple of those causes of stomach pain in pregnancy but I see that thepleasureismine has already wrote about it above me. Well, he is right, stomach pain in pregnancy is just a common thing that happens to almost all the women so I think that she shouldn't be worried about it. However, even though I think that she shouldn't worry about this, I still think that she should see a doctor just to be sure that everything is okay, you know, she can do some tests which are probably going to be okay but you know, just in case.

"Stomach pain" is really a very vague description and it could really be anything at all that's causing your sister this pain, but to be honest, my first thought is round ligament pain. This is very common and nothing at all to be worried about. The uterus is so huge during the third trimester of pregnancy that all internal organs are becoming compressed, ligaments become stretched, and the extra weight takes a toll as well. 

Nonetheless, it is always good to report any changes or anything unusual to the OBGYN that is in charge of managing the pregnancy, just to make sure. 

Nah, she is probably totally fine. If she wasn't, if she was feeling some sort of a weird pain, she would have went to talk to her doctor, trust me, women are so sensitive when they are pregnant so if she really thought that there was something bad going on, she would have been talking to her doctor the next minute. Stomach pain during pregnancy is such a common thing, I think that every single woman experiences it so there is really no reason for your sister to be worried. If it will make her feel better, she can always talk to her doctor.

Hey,

You can try and see if you will find this article useful, it helped me a lot actually because I was having the same problem as your sister: https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/lower-abdominal-pain-during-the-third-trimester-of-pregnancy. Luckily for me, my abdominal pain wasn't really caused by anything but my pregnancy itself so everything turned out to be okay, but I've also heard that stomach pain during pregnancy can be caused by some nasty things so I think that your sister should really check things out just to know for sure that everything is okay. Well, good luck and I hope that your sister is going to be okay.

No reason for her to be that worried. She is fine, trust me. That kind of pain is something that is normal and that pregnant girls feel that kind of pain and it is usually nothing dangerous.

Even the doctor will tell this to her. Of course, she needs to tell her doctor about every kind of pain that she feels, because that means that she is extremely careful and that is OK.

She needs to be careful anyway in every situation. Feeling that kind of pain usually means that her body is trying to get used to "other" condition. But, she will be OK. 

I have been in this situation as well. Beside this pain, I had problems with insomnia as well. I did a lot of research and I asked my doctor a lot of questions about this topic. Look, when you are pregnant, hormone levels increase, so your connective tissue loosens. This can lead to lower back or hip pain which is normal. I had really bad back pains but when my doctor told me that this is normal, I was much better. That abdominal pain that is more severe and concerning can be due to a urinary tract infection, preeclampsia, which is a condition that causes high blood pressure during pregnancy as well. This high blood pressure needs to be followed, just in case.

Hello! 

I agree that you should not be (that) worried because there are so many things that you will learn during your pregnancy. For example, you should know that women frequently experience hip pain as the connective tissue loosens and stretches. It can scare you at the beginning, but very soon you will be able to realize that this is normal and that beside that pain, lower back pain can also occur. Usually that happens as posture changes cause you to lean more toward one side or another. 

Maybe you should consult about this with your doctor, I am sure that he will give some good advice how to get rid of that pain.