Hi. I am a guy who have a friend who had an abortion, and she said to me that abortion wasn't her intention, but she had to do it because of health reasons. She said that her pregnancy is called ectopic pregnancy. I never heard of such, and she didn't care to explain to me. We didn't get in this subject any further. Still, I want to know why she had to take an abortion.

Ectopic pregnancies rupture after a period of time, and they cause infections, sepsis, and even death.

Ectopic pregnancies can NOT be brought to full term.

Ectopic pregnancy happens when fertilized ovum is not implanted in the uterine wall. It can occur in abdomen, cervix, and ovaries. It is impossible for a mother to give birth with such a pregnancy. Usually, embryo settles in the uterus where it have enough room to grow. Instead, in ectopic pregnancy it ends up in Fallopian tube.