I'm 38 yr old  had a tubal ligation done 12 years ago and have a positive on both a home pregnancy test and a urine test done at doctors office.  I'm 10 days late on menstral cycle, what should i expect? I'm afraid to get my hopes up that I might have a lil miracle in the oven.  And no i haven't had a reversal surgery done nor any other type of fertility treatment. 

Hi Did,

You are most likely pregnant.  False positives are VERY rare.  That may not be a good thing however.  You can have a "lil miracle in the oven" OR you might have a lil miracle in your fallopian tube. 

Not to scare you but ectopic pregnancies are VERY common after a tubal ligation.  Scar tissue builds up in the tube.  The fertilized egg implants in the tube, not in your uterus.  As the fetus grows you'll have pain and then, if not treated, the tube can burst.  It can cause serious bleeding and even be fatal.  If it is ectopic the pregnancy will need to be terminated.

See your ob/gyn soon, very soon.

Good luck.

Thank you medic-dan,

I saw ob/gyn this morning ...ultrasound showed the baby is in the uterus :D
but because of several key factors the doctor placed this pregnancy as a high risk pregnancy and stated they wanted to monitor me closely.

Thank you for the update.

You've made it through the first "hurdle." The baby being in the uterus is an excellent sign.

On the "high risk" part, your age is likely the primary reason for that "designation." Usually we'll designate anything over 35 as being "high risk."

I'm glad that you're being monitored by the ob/gyn. You are doing exactly as you should.

I sincerely wish you the best.