I am a 22 y/o male, slightly overweight, and have had swallowing difficulties since around the age of 13. Endoscopy was performed at age 14 and nothing found. They wanted to have another look, but I stupidly never went back. The food actually gets stuck in the middle of my throat, and I have to wait until it moves on its own or I make myself vomit it up. Some foods are worse than others, and size of bites makes little difference.
I have been having some problems for the past month or so and would really like them sorted, however my doctor just writes them off to reflux symptoms.
I have made a list of the symptoms I have had:
Pain in chest
- Pain in left breast and shoulder
- Pain around length of rib cage, feels like pain underneath rib cage
- Pain in upper back
- Occasional difficulty breathing, with shortness of breath
Blood tests normal for:
Cell Blood count
Pain in back
- Pain along spine
- Pressure type pain
- Pain in sides as well on occasions
Pain in abdomen
- Sensitive to touch
- Pain when pushed all over abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Cant eat as much (this seems to have gotten better, but still get bloated)
- Nausea on occasions
- Undigested food in stool
- Diarrhea, gas
- Pain in chest and stomach made worse by Alcohol
- 2 mouth ulcers on one occasion
- Occasional fatigue, tiredness and dizziness
- Blood in stool on rare occasions, dark red in stool, sometimes but rarely bright red on toilet paper
- Stool mostly light brown and watery
Pain in lower back
- Pain in centre of lower back (Base of spine)
- Pain / burning in left hip and left buttock
- Occasional pain in right hip
- Pain in groin both sides which is getting worse, but still bearable
- Pain / ache in legs, mostly upper left
Now, the doctor has said this is all (or mostly) symptoms of reflux problems. He booked a colonoscopy for precautionary measures to do with the blood in the stool. Colonoscopy revealed only a small hemarrhoid. He put me on Nexium 40mg after the first chest symptoms started, and the other symptoms may have started at this time. Could these all be symptoms of reflux problems? Or Nexium side effects?
I have been booked for a celiacs blood test and stool culture, which I will go for this week.
The most uncomfortable pains are the stomach pains. All these problems are REALLY getting me depressed too, please help!... :-(
- I have been feeling fairly lethargic and tired, even after a decent sleep.
- I have been having well formed, normal, but dark dark brown bowel movements (not black), which worries me of blood. Previously this was light diarrhea.
- I still get abdominal pain, in the stomach and middle of my abdomen. This flares up slightly while and directly after eating.
- I still have an unusual amount of undigested food in my stool. I assume it is undigested food, the chunks are hard and different colours.
- Slight mid back pain on occasions.
Does anyone have an idea of what it could be, im going out of my mind??
Ask your doctor about splenic flexure syndrome, too - it's a condition where a pocket of gas gets trapped in the 'elbows' of the large intestine - the corners between the ascending & transverse colon and/or between the transverse and descending colon. Anti-gas medications such as cimetidine are usually prescribed, but if it's severe, surgery may be recommended.
Hope this helps.
since then ive done 3 ct scans, 1 sonogram,xrays, h pylori tests,blood test, gluten test,colonoscopy,endoscopy,lactose intolerance test, and im waiting for MRI results. so far everything has been negative.. i have disconfort in the abdomen, with some pain.. loss of appetite, nausea, undigested stools, some back pain comes and goes, tireness..anyone has had the same problems and found the problem please help.
Look into ankylosing spondylitis! symptoms are match exactly... Please tell your doctor about this disease as they can often miss it!
Endoscopy: Mild superficial gastritis
Colonoscopy: a small polyp
CT: normal pancrea, normal gallbladder.
My son has eosinophilic esophagitis and many foods got stuck in his throat.
I would recommend another EGD that is biopsied.
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed
Now, I have all kinds of spinal issues and have had 4 spine surgeries. Before having those surgeries, I had almost the exact same symptoms you have in your lower back . That is your lumbar spine and having herniated discs in that area will cause those symptoms. SO, sounds like you may be having multiple issues going on like I do.
Do some research on Google. Google ACID REFLUX, GASTRITIS, ULCERS and LUMBAR DISC HERNIATION'S and see if all these things fit. The only thing I never had was any blood in my stool, ever. Any and all stomach issues can be found on an UPPER GI or an ENDOSCOPY. Those are the 2 test that will show all. Do the research and go to your doctor, armed with this information. I am in a position to give you this advice. I have been where you are at and dealing with a bad bout of reflux and gastritis as I type this. I am almost ready for my 5th spine surgery.