Recently I’ve talked with my friend about pain in my knees that I’m suffering for more then year and a half already. It started several months after I quit karate, and it gradually increased, now being more painful at the end of the day. My friend warned me about possibility that it is sign of growing Osteoarthritis, but I can’t believe it. After all, I was in sports! So, please, tell me what are the symptoms of Osteoarthritis, just to be sure!!

Now, hold on – being in sports doesn’t mean that you’re going to be healthy no matter what! In fact, Osteoarthritis is just that kind of disease that most often preys upon joints repetitively used; but, then, it could also occur after long-lasting inactivity, for example, sitting in front of your computer! Osteroarthritis is type of arthritis caused by loss of the cartilage (whish is protein substance) of joints, and is most common type or arthritis. If you’re suffering from it you would experience welling, warmth, or even creaking of the knee joints, but symptoms vary to the great extent. Someone would be debilitated, someone other’s symptoms would be intermittent. If not treated, loss of cartilage of the knee joints can cause deformity and make you "bow legged", so don’t be silly – go and check what’s the problem before it’s too late!

Whoa! I don't know about being "bow-legged," but definitely go see an orthopedic doctor! And it's always good to get a second opinion. I have osteoarthritis on both knees, but severe on my left (bone on bone - loss of cartilage). I was born with dislocated patellas. I never knew until in my late 20's, my buckling became severe after running or just simply walking. Though my first accident of knee buckling was when I was 14. Anyway, I finally saw an orthopedic doctor 4 years ago. I've had 6 surgeries w/in 2 years on my L and only 1 on my R last year. My problem became complex, so to make VERY long story short, it's always good to get 2nd or even 3rd, 4th and 5th opinion and make sure you have an awesome physical therapist! Oh, that's another story. Make sure he/she knows and understands and is willing to work with you all the way! I'm only in my early 30's and I have osteoarthritis. I've learned a lot from all this. And ultimately, I will need knee replacements on both when I reach my 40's. Right now, for life, I can't run, jump, ride a bike or ride my rollerblades, but hey, I'm still walking around. And I'm definitely not bow-legged. I'm done with my therapy, but rehab at the gym or outdoor is for life.