My endocrinologist diagnosed  me with hyperparathyroidism because I have  elevated levels of calcium 10.5 - 10.7 for 2 years, my PTH is elevated and my bone density scan is getting worse, very close to osteoperosis. My endocrinologist ordered a sestamibi scan at Cedars and it came back negative. I have met with 2 surgeons who told me I do not qualify for the minimally invasive surgery because they can't see where my glands are on the scan. I called UCLA and they said I would need to come in and do another sestamibi scan, basically start over from scratch because they do not trust any other scans except theirs and their radiologists. I do not know when and if my insurance will pay for another scan. My surgeon feels confident he can do the surgery, and has done the surgery before. Should I wait another 6 months to a year and start over at UCLA?

I suggest that you look up the website of Dr Babak Larian in LA.  After you have read the parathyroid parts, call him and talk with him.  He is very good about calling people and very easy to talk to.  He did my surgery with a negative scan when my endo said no one would do it.  He uses the radio probe when necessary.  He is an excellent surgeon and very experienced.  My bad parathyroid would never have showed on a scan as it was hidden by a thyroid nodule.  Be very careful in your choice of surgeons.  Best wishes.

I just had the same experience. I hesitated that there was not a target to look for so I searched online for another type of scan that may be more accurate and found it at Mt Sinai Parathyroid Center in NY. Dr. William Inabnet and his team are excellent. I had a parathyroid CT scan that showed the adenoma and they were able to do surgery with a location and a clear abnormal gland. I traveled out of my network and was lucky enough to have it approved. I am 2 days post op and I feel better than I did prior to . If I remember correctly in my research Cedar Sinai had a parathyroid center? Hope this helps.

I just had the same experience. I hesitated that there was not a target to look for so I searched online for another type of scan that may be more accurate and found it at Mt Sinai Parathyroid Center in NY. Dr. William Inabnet and his team are excellent. I had a parathyroid CT scan that showed the adenoma and they were able to do surgery with a location and a clear abnormal gland. I traveled out of my network and was lucky enough to have it approved. I am 2 days post op and I feel better than I did prior to . If I remember correctly in my research Cedar Sinai had a parathyroid center?
Hope this helps.

The doctors are located in Tampa, Fl.,at Tampa General Hospital. They are wonderful.  They diagnoised my parathyroid problem.  My PTH was 10.8.  I had surgery 7 months ago to remove two large tumors.  I feel wonderful.  I went un-diagnoised for years.  I found out about them online. Since my surgery I have had two labs done, my Calcium and PTH has returned to normal.  I develope osteoporosis.  Please, don't waite, your bone scan is not going to get better, it will only get worse. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use