Hi, my grandmother is 63 years old and she is suffering from osteoporosis for several years already. She was taking medications but there wasn't improvement. When she visited her doctor last time he decided to make ultra sound of her parathyroid gland and he found tumor. She suggested her operation but she is afraid and don't know what to do.

Hi, parathyroid gland is controlling level of calcium in the blood. When there is higher level of calcium in your blood you may be sure that there is something wrong with your parathyroid gland. Osteoporosis is consequence of parathyroid tumor but in the same time it is only type of osteoporosis which may be cured. By removing of tumor osteoporosis will disappear. Also level of calcium which was high will be back to normal.

parathyroid advises that MIRP specialists be found who are tops in their field. How do we find these specialists? I live in northern California.

There are lots of good surgeons in CA. You could check out medical schools like UCLA. Also search this board and others for recommendations from parathyroid patients. If you are willing to go to Los Angeles, Dr Babak Larian is excellent. mass

According to most of the sites on the internet, parathyroidism is very rare. In January I had a small tumor removed that made my blood calcium level go to 12.7. I was told by the endo surgeon that the truth is the condition happens in 2 out of every 300 people. I belong to the Palo Alto Medical Foundation in Northern CA. I had my parathyroidectomy surgery done in the hospital and it took about 1 hour. The tumor was so small it could not be located during the Sestamibi Scan for parathyroid disease. They did find the tumor through an ultrasound. Within 2 days my concentration, and memory were significantly improved. Also no more bone pain and my tiredness had subsided.

Then last week I went for a follow-up blood test, and they found I still had high blood calcium of 10.9. They told me to go off of my 1800mg of calcium supplements per day. I see the Endocrinologist in a week. It is extremely rare to have a second tumor but it does happen. They DID check my calcium levels in the hospital right after my surgery and they had dropped to the expected level now the dr's are once again scratching their heads. My kidney specialist said it may take a full 2 months after the surgery to get my calcium where it should be which means 2 more weeks.