Users comments and reviews on article Hyperparathyroidism: Symptoms & Treatment by SirGan

I have hyperparathyroidism and would like to know if anyone knows of an excellent experienced parathyroid surgeon who performs MIRP as done by Dr. Norman in Tampa, Florida. I live in the midwest and would like to find a local surgeon if possible.

did you find a surgeon? I am in the process of locating one in my area, Texas, I would be interested to hear how you are progressing, I have just started the search to find out what is wrong with me.

There is a Dr. Howe at University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, who does minimal invasive surgery on PT, and has recently published an article on 300 of the surgeries that he has performed. However, for some reason, his method of surgery is different from Dr. Norman's. It takes about 2.5 hours, and not sure why. You can check it out, though, Univ of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics has a website...if you'd like, I can look up the name of the very helpful assistant who I spoke with there....

I am in Dallas Texas and need the name of a surgeon who is skilled in hyperparathyroid surgery.

Hi Dallas Texas..Did you find a surgeon? I am from Texas also and I went to FL in March to have surgery as I could not get diagnosed with HPTH. I went to many Drs in Tex and my case was somewhat rare and no one would listen. MY surgery went well. I had hyperplasia parathyroid and three tumors were removed. My story is long and I won't bore you, but I would like to know if you have had surgery and how you are doing. BTW..two more ladies from TX were in FL the same day I had surgery. Let me hear from if at all possible...Txg

Hi:
I live in Dallas also. Good Luck with your search for a surgeon. I am having my PTH level checked this week and have been reading everything I can to educate myself. It seems that finding a good surgeon for this problem is difficult. If you have any luck, please share the info. I am trying to plan ahead. Thanks. 8-|

Hello, I am looking for a surgeon in the Pacific Northwest area who is experienced with mini-parathyroid surgery done with radioguided assistance (the MIRP Procedure). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I am in Nashville, TN and would like to know of any surgeon in this area who is skilled in hyperparathyroid surgery. Thank you!!!

Did anyone find a doctor for MIRP in the Tennessee area?

Finding a surgeon who does the MIRP procedure for hypoparathyroid doesn't appear to be easy. I live in Jackson, Mississippi, does anyone know of a surgeon who does this procedure in MS or the surrounding states?

The world experts are at the Norman Parathyroid Center in the Tampa General Hospital in Florida. Go to the online dictionary, Wikipedia and search for Dr. James Norman to assure yourself he is not a scam. Then, go to ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed. Believe me, even with the extra out-of-pocket fee you'll pay if you come from out-of-state; it's well worth it, because you get to go home that day, rather than pay for one or two or more days in the hospital if you go somewhere else less experienced. My husband was convinced the Norman Parathyroid Center sounded too good to be true, and our family doctor scoffed at me for finding him on the internet. So, I foolishly listened to them instead of my instincts and had my parathyroid surgery done by a General Surgeon who was supposed to be the best in my state. It's a long story, but I went through a LOT of awful things. I ended up having to go to the Norman Parathyroid Center anyway, so they could FINALLY remove the correct parathyroid gland that had the tumor, which the General Surgeon could not find, after big-time neck exploration. If ONLY we had not been trying to pinch pennies and had gone to Florida first, not only would I have felt better a LONG time ago, but we wouldn't have ended up paying big dollars for a useless hospital stay, useless tests--don't let anyone give you an MRI, they hardly EVER find the tumor on a parathyroid gland I found out later, and the list goes on. The reason the Norman Parathyroid Center is so much more successful is because they've invested in the right equipment, specifically a "gamma probe." They give you something to make the bad parathyroid gland become kind of "radio-active"--it's safe, don't worry--and then after a sestamibi scan that shows them exactly where they should cut on your neck; they perform surgery immediately. With the gamma probe, all they have to do is touch it to the parathyroid gland they saw in the sestamibi scan to CONFIRM they've got the right one, because it's STILL radio-active! That results in a QUICK operation... only 14 to 20 minutes!!! The experience was SO MUCH better than the almost 5 hour failed operation that I was put through before, only to wake up feeling awful for days, and more frustrated because they couldn't even find the tumor after all that. At the Norman Parathyroid Center, it was kind of like when I had a colonoscopy. One minute they are talking to you, and the next thing you know, you are all done and you have a picture of the tumor/parathyroid gland they took out, you're given some calcium & a followup appointment with your family doctor, and sent home, saying if you feel good enough, you can even go out for supper tonight--which I did. (I flew home the next day.) Too bad I had to learn the hard way. Hope this helps someone! (At LEAST my General Surgeon didn't cut my voice box while he was digging around in my neck... My son's friend has a sister who this happened to. She'll only be able to whisper for the rest of her life, and she was just in her twenties and loves to sing! So, I'm counting my blessings.)

I live in Michigan and I have been diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism. I chose Dr. Peter Czako, M.D. Royal Oak, Michigan has anyone out there had surgery for this disease by this Doctor.

Dear Satkinsa1, I am curious if you had Dr czako perform your parathyroid surgery? He performed one of my parathryouf surgeries and I am hopeful yours was successful. What was your experience? I felt he was very capable of endocrine surgery.

haphap wrote:

satkinsa1 wrote:

can you give me more information on your experience with him? I might be going to him.