I am trying to locate a surgeon in the Kansas City area which performs the minimal invasive parathyroid surgery. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good surgeon?

Your primary care physician should be able to recommend one for you.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you are not going through your primary physician to find a good surgeon? Do you already have your diagnosis and you're just looking to get the best surgeon? I know that parathyroid surgery can be a little tricky so it's good that you are looking for a highly experienced surgeon. I would recommend if you can a teaching hospital, as I know that there is at least one in Kansas City. I don't know any off the top of my head, but I hope you find that helpful. Does anyone else know?

Hi:
I don't live in your area, but I had a thyroidectomy one year ago. Here are some helpful tips as you are searching for a surgeon. BTW, I consulted with 4 surgeons before choosing one. As a result, my surgery and recovery have been terrific. Here are some questions to answer: Is the surgeon a specialist in this area, i.e. Board Certified? Is the surgeon respected professionally amongst his/her peers? Is the surgeon associated with a respected hospital or other medical institution? What is the surgeon's success rate?: I hope that these questions will be helpful as you search for a surgeon. Please let us know how things are going.

How far are you willing to travel to have this surgery done?

I know a good surgeon at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus, Ohio who operated on me in March

and I would highly recommend him. His name Is Dr. William Farrar.

Bob

I just had surgery with Dr. James Norman at Tampa General Hospital - I highly recommend him!!! My incision is not even an inch long, and I feel wonderful. We went to Disney World/Universal for 7 days two days after my surgery and I felt great! He is a little expensive - but my surgery was 15 minutes long, and they were all so wonderful, caring, and I just felt so confident! That meant so much to me personally. He is an expert - it is worth it!!!

My primary doctor diagnosed me with hyperparathyroidism and suggested I see an endocrinologist at U of P. I did and followed their direction to increase my calcium and vitamin D for about six months until I realized that they weren’t going to do anything but keep observing even though I was suffering living with all of the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism. In the meantime, I researched the disease and found Dr. James Norman who has a great website explaining all the aspects of the disease, surgery and everything you could want to know.
I applied to have surgery with Dr. Norman because I was following instructions from my endocrinologist and felt every waking day what others would describe as a nightmare. I have osteoporosis and my bones hurt I can't sleep at night no matter what I do when I wake up in the morning it feels like my hips are going to break and I have chronic fatigue, I get cramps in my feet and legs and I am taking mega doses of calcium, magnesium and vitamin D and I have problems with my intestines. In November 2010 I did everything their office told me to do—the application, blood work, etc. But never heard back from the office. I surmised it was because I did not pay the $1700 consultation fee.
I wanted to find a doctor who is as or more capable than Dr. Norman or the endocrinologists I was seeing at Pennsylvania Hospital, part of University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, PA.
I searched and searched the internet on a mission to find another doctor who also did the sestamibi scan and found Dr. Lawrence Gordon. Dr. Gordon was in my health insurance network and is much more credible because he is a University of Pennsylvania and Columbia graduate, offers more than a Sestamibi scan, and has the latest medical technology to help him. Cassandra (My ANGEL) helped me with everything!!!!!! If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be feeling alive again!!!!
I was going to have the operation with the other doctor the around the same day I had it with Dr. Gordon, so from the middle of December 2010 until January 14th, 2011 Cassandra handled everything very nicely!!! I can't express the gratitude I feel enough!!!!!
Dr. Lawrence Gordon is at St. Anthonys Hospital in Warwick, NY and his office is located in Goshen, NY

I had a great ENT Dr. Robert Thompson in Overland Park. He did an awesome job removing my parathyroid adenoma.

Did you find a good surgeon? I'm needing this surgery and live in the kansas city area, too. Can you tell me how the surgery went and who did the parathyroid surgery??...I'm a bit nervous about it! thx!

according to Dr. Normon in Tampa FL. I meet the guidelines for hypertparathyroiism. I would like to find a doctor in the K C Metro for this 16 minute operation. My thyroid has been up and down, up and down. My immologist found my Vit D was very low. My doctor found my Calcium in my blood to be very high. From Dr. Normon's list of side effects I meet all but three. I need help, ASAP. Dr. Normon said that these test are often false negatives so don't waste your money.

Kansas City doesn't have any surgeon's that do what Dr. Norman does.  KU has the machine that Dr. Norman uses.  And they have several surgeon's.  I used Dr. Thompson he is located at Overland Park Regional in KS and St Joesph in MO.  The BIG problem is that none of them "look" at all four glands.  They only go in either the leftside or the rightside.  Dr. Thompson told me if he had to "look" at all four glands than I would have to stay overnight at the hospital and have drains put in.  Why??? when Dr. norman can do it in 16 minutes and your finished.  I thought why would I fly to Florida when we have good surgeon's right here in Kansas City.  Well....if I had a do over.....I would have done everything in my power to travel to Florida.  Since my surgery I now have Hashimoto's and my pth and calicium are high again and my D is low.  So I am looking at a second surgery and this time I am going to Florida.  DId you send all your labs to Dr. Norman?

Lynn i am curious also if you found a surgeon in the kc area. I am needing this done and would love to talk with you..please email me if you get this..

Dr. Robert Thompson did an excellent job removing my parathyroid adenoma with a minimally invasive out patient surgery. I had no pain following surgery and a small incision that healed well.

RJ -
I just moved to the area and am looking for a doctor who does MIRP surgery. (I was diagnosed 2 months ago with hyperparathyroidism.) Did he check all your glands when he did the surgery or just the one that was removed? It was outpatient? Do you know, was the cost similar to Dr. Norman in FL? Did you have to be referred by your FP or were you able to call and make the appt yourself?
Thank you.

He did not check all of my parathyroid glands, but did check my PTH levels during surgery to confirm that my levels returned to normal. It was an outpaient surgery performed at St Luke's South. The cost were covered by my medical insurance. I did not need a referral, but had my calcium and PTH levels and scans that showed the location of the adenoma from my endocrinologist. I made my own appointment after researching several surgeons in the Kansas City area. He does parathyroid and thyroid surgery several times a week and is very experienced with this type of surgery. No need to travel to Flordia and spend the extra money for the surgery.